HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 25, 2004, 04:25 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Dec 2003
2,307 Posts
Yippee!
Look what I bought today

Hey!
Because I've read so much about these simple 2-channel planes I thought I'd give a visit to my LHS.
This is what I found

Graupner MAX:
Span: 35.5 CM (14 inch)
Lenght: 29.5 CM (11.6 inch)
Wingsurface: approx. 1.6 square DM
AUW: 40 grammes (without landinggear: 38 grammes)
Battery weight: 12 grammes
Thrust measured: 20 grammes
The battery charges within a minute on a fast charge and is flyable for three minutes (LiPolies?).

Any questions suggestion? Reply
RNAF is offline Find More Posts by RNAF
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RNAF; Sep 25, 2004 at 06:13 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2004, 04:28 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Dec 2003
2,307 Posts
I really have the idea this model is built heavy because of the 2 gramme landing gear, thick wires to the motors and such. Though I think they're thick because of less resistance. Also, it has a plastic battery holder which would be better if made out of foam.

More pics:
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 25, 2004, 04:29 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Dec 2003
2,307 Posts
Last picture:
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 25, 2004, 04:37 PM
To many projects
USA, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Aug 2004
1,055 Posts
"Any questions suggestion? "

Yep!,,, Fly it then give us the scoop.

For me I had had great luck in that type of flyer.
66tbird is offline Find More Posts by 66tbird
Old Sep 25, 2004, 04:39 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Dec 2003
2,307 Posts
I can't wait to fly it, because of the windy weather. Perhaps tomorrow, perhaps a movie ^^
Taxiing this thing is hard and rather useless Graupner says it can take-off from the ground, but it looks like it needs more than 6 meters to take-off.
I also like the simplicity of charging the battery with the TX, but on the other hand it's rather annoying because you need AA batteries in it so they discharge quick...

Greets,
Dave
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 25, 2004, 05:13 PM
To many projects
USA, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Aug 2004
1,055 Posts
Did it come with wheels? Or is it meant to slide take-off?

Didn't mean to be so direct with "fly it". I tend to forget that there are places that have a more windy days than my location. I should of known you would be inching to fly it.

Now I see the landing gear in the first few pics. Should fly a great/better without it. Balance pending of course.
Last edited by 66tbird; Sep 25, 2004 at 05:17 PM.
Old Sep 25, 2004, 05:28 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Dec 2003
2,307 Posts
66tbird, you can click the landing gear in. The manual says to use the landing gear, but since you land with power off and that the wing is mounted high, it's no problem and 2 grammes is a lot

"Didn't mean to be so direct with "fly it"." Doesn't matter! I read your reply after I posted mine ^^
I think I even want to see it fly more than you do

You'll hear it as soon as possible, I'm gonna get up early hehe!

Dave
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 25, 2004, 11:10 PM
Frequent Poster
South of Boston
Joined Mar 2004
846 Posts
Where can I get one?? It looks so cool!
Pete P. is offline Find More Posts by Pete P.
Old Sep 25, 2004, 11:35 PM
To many projects
USA, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Aug 2004
1,055 Posts
Are you going to have a little weight addition for the nose when flying w/o the landing gear? Or are you just going to go for it. With this style of plane, i.e. rudder only control basically, the balance is real important. When the nose goes up a rudder input is needed to keep from stalling. That little gear might be the shock absorber if ya know what I mean. They are fun planes but thinking(and flying) in circles is the key to that cutie.

John
Old Sep 26, 2004, 05:08 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Dec 2003
2,307 Posts
Well I've just flown it!!
Why do I always read your replies too late tbird? haha!

I gave full throttle, gave it a moderate push and it climbed as hell!
The first flight was just straight forward and I trimmed it a bit. Then,
I decided to turn it but it looked like it stalled and crashed, but NO damage
The trick is just to keep full throttle all the time and turn by pressing it long.

Well a video says more than a million words ^^
I'll ask my bro to make a vid today if the weather permits!

A VERY good and cute flier, but I guess the landing gear is essential for the CG.
I'm gonna fly it again now with landing gear!

Dave

PS. I just bought it in my LHS, Quartel (.nl). I don't know where to get it otherwise..
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 26, 2004, 05:26 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Dec 2003
2,307 Posts
Okay second flight!
This one was WAYYYY better, indeed flying with the landing gear is much better!
The tailwheel I did left off because of the CG, now it flies so easy

I gotta find a somewhat larger flying area rather than our playground ^^ All those trees are a challenge to dodge, but if they collide, the tree's stronger >< haha

I only got a little bit of damage on the wing, if you look at the first picture you see
small plastic circles, well the last one got loose and I need to repair it before the whole wing tears apart hehe. It's not a lot of damage, because you really can't see it. Only if you take the wing off.

Graupner also says that you can let it take-off from the ground... Well I tried 5 times and it doesn't work..

Dave
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 26, 2004, 06:43 AM
The ceiling is the limit!
South of England
Joined Aug 2004
1,237 Posts
When turning just touch the stick a little bit other wise it goes over one way and loses hight. That is what I have found out over the years of flying those planes. Also use rechargable battries in the charger I use the green Unirosses and they kick quite a bit of power and last a long time.
P.S. I can't wait to see the video.
micromad is offline Find More Posts by micromad
Old Sep 26, 2004, 09:48 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Dec 2003
2,307 Posts
I LOVE IT I LOVE IT I LOVE IT I LOVE IT I LOVE IT I LOVE IT I LOVE IT I LOVE IT I LOVE IT
I flies soooooooo cool it is really SO easy to fly compared to "normal" park- and indoorfliers! I was doing circles and it stalled a bit and I stopped giving power, it dived, I gave power and it zoomed past me soooo fast! With the little props screaming.
I really like it! Though it is way harder to land than my parkfliers, it can't be broken!

I landed in the trees 2 times after a flight or 20 (just today ^^) and the only thing that is weak are the white patches/circles which hold the wing on the fuselage..
I was thinking about small magnets or rubberband to keep the wing on the fuselage.
Any suggestions?

I hope I can make the video today, maybe tonight. I gotta find someone to host and film it for me.

GET ONE TOO

Dave
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 26, 2004, 12:53 PM
To many projects
USA, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Aug 2004
1,055 Posts
That is great!! Congratulations. They are a challenge but once the learning curve is done the fun begins. You have to think and fly a circle ahead of the plane sometimes. When it works, it really works great. Believe it or not they can do a lot of aerobatics, and it can be made to look like a rudder/elevator plane. Just gotta use the wind to you advantage, turn it into an allusion
Old Sep 26, 2004, 03:28 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Dec 2003
2,307 Posts
Tomorrow I'll go to a large grassy field if there's little to no wind and I'll try to fly it over there. I couldn't make a video today because there was to much wind when I was going to make a video, even after supper there was a bit too much wind

Anyhow this model is a great "toy" (okay it really is a toy) besides your modelhelicopter or parkflier
RCG Plus Member