HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 23, 2004, 10:52 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,120 Posts
AXI Stator Coating - What IS that stuff?

My Axi was sounding a little raspy when spinning the prop after one of my "nosedig" incidents, and the shaft had been drive back a fraction of a millimeter such that groove which seats the tiny retainer clip was no longer visible (the retainer clip was still on the shaft, though). I suspected I may have gotten some dirt into the can, so I disassemble it to take a look. Here's a pic of what I found.

What is that resinous coating on the outer surface of the stator plates? Obviuosly I "sanded" some of it off by getting dirt into the can, but the motor has been used a number of times since, and performance seems normal. So, I don't think any serious damage has been done, but this stuff was put there for a reason. If anyone knows what it's for, what it is made of, or whether it needs to be replaced, I'd like to hear from you.

My best guess is it was put there for abrasion resistance for the ends of the stator plates in case you get dirt inside the can

Finally, I need to loosen the set screw holding the shaft to the can so I can move the shaft forward a few thousandths to expose the clip ring groove again. I don't have an allen wrench small enough... does anyone know what size it is?
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; Sep 23, 2004 at 11:02 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2004, 12:52 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,466 Posts
I know it as winding varnish and it is common practice with motor winders and transformer manufactures to seal their products against moisture and loose winding movement, what the formulation is today i dont know ,but i use epoxy. as for the hex key probably a metric size.
olmod is online now Find More Posts by olmod
Old Sep 24, 2004, 01:17 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olmod
I know it as winding varnish and it is common practice with motor winders and transformer manufactures to seal their products against moisture and loose winding movement, what the formulation is today i dont know ,but i use epoxy. as for the hex key probably a metric size.
This stuff is only on the ends of the stator plates, not on the windings themselves, and has a mottled color, not like a varnish.

I can easily smear on a little epoxy over the abrasions if I keep it thin so the magnets don't make contact. Thanks.

Tom
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank