|Feb 10, 2002, 10:49 AM|
Joined Feb 2002
Epoxy Application on the cheap
Tacky fingers, covered in 30 minute epoxy?
For some reason I was thinking of cakes while building my glider, then I "discovered" an application method that is:
* much cleaner
* much faster
* more accurate
than the usual spatula.
1. Get one of those small plastic clear freezer bags
2. turn in inside out
3. Using "30 min part A epoxy", draw a neat zig-zag pattern that covers 1/3 of the closed bottom of the bag. **
4. Using "part B epoxy" simply follow the neat A line, this ensures you get equal amounts. no need to guess the size of two "blobs"
5. Carefully hold 2 corners of the bag, allowing the epoxy A & B to flow over each other, then reverse corners and repeat. This should only take around 30 seconds.
6 . carefully put your hand inside and pull the bag inside-out, at this stage your fingers or work area are free of epoxy
7. Using your dry spatula, scrap/drag the epoxy inside the bag into one of the closed corners, pushing air bubbles to the open end.
8. bunch up the rest of the bag, like a bakers icing applicator
9. slice a tiny hole of the corner using your blade
10. you can now place a very precise run of epoxy, great for fillets.
It can take a few minutes to setup the bag, however application is now much faster and more controlled that the spatula method.
** do not try to make a "full" bag, once the epoxy is contained within the bag, it becomes very hot and larger quantities tend to rapidly set, before you can sqeeze it out!
I don't know if you can do this quick enough for 5 min epoxy?
|Category||Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|fan-fold wing forming -- on the cheap||thelocust||Foamies (Kits)||24||Aug 15, 2002 11:27 PM|
|Switchback batteries on the cheap||enigmabomb||Sport Planes||5||Jul 18, 2002 10:11 AM|
|HLGs/DLGs on the cheap, one mans journey :)||thelocust||Hand Launch||9||Apr 26, 2002 11:20 PM|
|Flying on the cheap - what to use for control horns and rods?||fprintf||Foamies (Kits)||5||Apr 14, 2002 01:48 AM|
|Vacuum bagging on the cheap?||Slope Nut||Power Systems||15||May 07, 2001 02:22 AM|