SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 22, 2004, 03:41 AM
Honolulu Intl, Hawaii, United States
Joined Feb 2003
1,502 Posts
Charging multiple packs with Triton??

I was just wondering if it is ok to charge 2 8 cell packs in series?? I understand voltage should be equal with both packs. How do I go about wiring it up? Also, when I register in the charger, capacity is the same but is it now a 16 cell?? Or do I have everything backwards?

I'd love to cut charge times in half for two packs if I could. Please let me know how I go about doing this or if it's not recommended.
Astro30 is offline Find More Posts by Astro30
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2004, 09:16 AM
Joined Mar 2004
5,237 Posts
Covered previously, but the general concensus is no. Cell matching etc.
rutat is offline Find More Posts by rutat
Old Sep 22, 2004, 10:46 AM
Electric since 1990
East Central Ohio, United States
Joined Jun 2004
3,740 Posts
Don't know about nicads or nimhs. I'm sure you could do it but all cells should be equal voltage. This is hard to tell. Maybe if both packs are new or have the same number of cycles on them it would work.
I do know it works for lipos. We do it all the time. Again, each pack should read the same voltage before charging. We also combine them when we fly.
You want to wire them in parallel, not series. This way the voltage stays the same and the milliamp capacity doubles. So you can charge two packs at twice the rate you would with one pack.
They can discharge at twice the rate too.
Make up a Y adapter to connect the packs: Put two red into the red connector, and two black into the black connector, then put one red and black into a connector, and the other red and black into a connector.
Foamaholic is offline Find More Posts by Foamaholic
Old Sep 22, 2004, 01:46 PM
Perth, Australia
Joined Mar 2004
872 Posts
Fast charging two battery packs in series is fairly dodgy. You'll probably end up overheating and venting some of your cells even if the packs are identical types, due to uncertainty as to the state of charge of each pack resulting in overcharging of one pack.
You would be better off investing in a second cheaper peak charger that can charge at around 2-3 amp (I'm assuming you're using sub c batteries) and charge both packs at the same time. Then finish charging the pack being charged on the cheap charger, on your good charger after your good charger has finished charging the other pack. Make sure that the pack being charged on the secondary charger hasn't started to warm up indicating it is already almost fully charged. I've tried this my self and it works fairly well

Ron...
Cas123 is offline Find More Posts by Cas123
Old Sep 22, 2004, 02:31 PM
Honolulu Intl, Hawaii, United States
Joined Feb 2003
1,502 Posts
thanks for the advice guys. I may just invest in a cheap charger, that sounds like a safer route. Plus my Triton can't charge over 5a anyway I think.
Astro30 is offline Find More Posts by Astro30
Old Sep 23, 2004, 07:56 AM
That's a funny word
NE Ohio
Joined Apr 2003
3,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro30
I was just wondering if it is ok to charge 2 8 cell packs in series?? I understand voltage should be equal with both packs. How do I go about wiring it up? Also, when I register in the charger, capacity is the same but is it now a 16 cell?? Or do I have everything backwards?

I'd love to cut charge times in half for two packs if I could. Please let me know how I go about doing this or if it's not recommended.
I would be ok as long as all cells are equalised. To hook it up connect one pack negative to other pack's posative and then use the remaining + and - to hook to charger. You have it correct it's just like 1 big- 16 cell battery. Head warnings of previous posters, they know more about batts than I do.

Triton may do it at a MAX rate of about 3.5-4 amps

posters?...
gulio is offline Find More Posts by gulio