HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 22, 2004, 01:54 AM
Shirley, New York, United States
Joined Apr 2002
250 Posts
40oz slow stick - has anyone pushed it this far?

So i'm just finishing up my dream AP slowstick.
I started with Steve's tried and true powersystem, the PJS800 and Tanic 2150 3s batteries.
I added to this a berg RX, CC-25 esc, HS-81MG's, a GWS Be-Found, my removable tail feathers, beefy landing gear, and a super re-inforced wing.
IT's nearly perfect - except for weight. With my nikon 3700, i'm looking at about 36oz. Add to that the Black widow system on a seperate tanic 2s 810 pack, and it's at 40oz.

My wing has brass tubes, carbon fiber, a CF spreader tube, and Extreme fiber tape - it's been flown many times and proved itself to be VERY strong.

however, I know 40oz is a lot ot ask - I'd hate to have put all this time in and have the wing fold up on me the first flight out.

Has anyone pushed this airframe to that weight yet?
afabio is offline Find More Posts by afabio
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2004, 02:02 AM
SlowStick Test Pilot
Yumastan RCAPA.NET
Joined Feb 2003
6,009 Posts
It'll never work! So being the nice guy that I am, I'd be willing to take that heavy black widow system off your hands at a deep discount!
patrickegan is offline Find More Posts by patrickegan
Old Sep 22, 2004, 02:22 AM
Defender of the Aerobird!
Milwaukee, WI
Joined Dec 2002
394 Posts
I really dont have anything to add to this thread, but thanks for alerting me to the GWS be-found, I'm definitely ordering one when my SS gets here!!!
Mattydiah is offline Find More Posts by Mattydiah
Old Sep 22, 2004, 05:57 AM
Joined Mar 2004
120 Posts
i will be watching this for updates
rikhye is offline Find More Posts by rikhye
Old Sep 22, 2004, 07:02 AM
SIU Aviation
Wheeling, Illinois
Joined Dec 2003
5,240 Posts
I have!! well close... I have gotten my slow stick to 39 ounces with my camera and black widow setup... pretty porky too. My nippy black 1812/100 was struggling a lot to haul this heavy bird up. even with 3s li-pos... Im sure the PJS 800 will be better though. just reinforce the wings. The wings on mine didnt seem to mind it too much.
Kyle G. is offline Find More Posts by Kyle G.
Old Sep 22, 2004, 11:52 AM
Look! Up in the sky!
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Jul 2002
4,636 Posts
You're not in completely untested waters, but you're approaching it.
I'm pretty sure Bar-Stool has exceeded (or close) this weight with a SS, and I know Boomerace has.

Even a reinforced SS wing can fail, and I've found it usually happens where the dihedral tube attaches to the wing (it tears loose) and the foam underneath the wing (center support that goes from LE to TE) will split around where the spar would be (CG area). I've had two SS wings split in this area, and the wing is trash when that happens (glue doesn't hold it).

I'd suggest you reinforce it along the CG line, where a balsa wing would have a spar. Maybe a CF brace somehow attached to the top of the wing (small ply squares glued to the top surface where the brace connects??).

Others have a brace similar to this but attached to the FG leading edge. Problem is, the stress happens about 2 inches behind this, and can cause the FG to tear away from the wing if stressed really hard.

You might also want to find a way to strengthen that foam keel underneath to keep it from splitting.
eBird is offline Find More Posts by eBird
Old Sep 22, 2004, 05:09 PM
SlowStick Test Pilot
Yumastan RCAPA.NET
Joined Feb 2003
6,009 Posts
I use piano wire front and back, bend in the dihedral use some scotch packing tape and your in!
patrickegan is offline Find More Posts by patrickegan
Old Sep 22, 2004, 05:49 PM
Joined Apr 2002
250 Posts
Lots of great suggestions. My current wing is very strong with all the CF on it, but it does have one repaired crack from an encounter with a power line. I'll probably do the my initial tests with it without the camera or downlink. In the meantime, I've got enough parts to build up a new wing. I've got to check my carbon box and see what I might have for extra re-inforcement (above and beyond the standard brass tube and carbon rods mods.

I have some carbon tow, some kevlar tow, and possibly some stiff carbon ribbon. Those might come in handy as well.

Steve, I like the idea of putting somthing on top of the wing pressing down. do you think this would disturb airflow / disrupt lift at all?

Amidst all this i'm still working on the steelhead blue foam wing as well, which although heavier, should be even stronger.

Thanks,
Adam
Old Sep 22, 2004, 09:29 PM
SIU Aviation
Wheeling, Illinois
Joined Dec 2003
5,240 Posts
I really shouldv'e said how i reiforced my wing... Well the only things I've done is the Brass Dihedral tube, and some CF across the top to prevent the wing from making a V shape and eventually folding. I also epoxied the brass tube to the wing a long with the fiberglass wing rods. thats pretty much it... except some packing tape along the wing's bottom for strength.
Kyle G. is offline Find More Posts by Kyle G.
Old Sep 23, 2004, 07:45 PM
Tucson Avra Valley, Arizona, United States
Joined Nov 2003
487 Posts
Well, Im just about there. With everything on board it will weigh 38oz. I have the nikon 3700, the cable from the nikon to the tx, then there is the tx, a 9v battery to power the tx, and the cables the connect the tx to battery. This should fly, I hope. With this setup I can take pictures, watch video of the camera and take pics when I see a good shot, and I can record the video on my camcorder all at once. The cool thing is, that after I take a photo the camera shows the pic for a second then goes back to the video.

Rick
azfrench is offline Find More Posts by azfrench
Old Sep 24, 2004, 07:39 PM
Beam me up Scotty
Central Ohio
Joined Dec 2002
550 Posts
Here is my wing with the extra bracing. The cf brace is on the cg line and has no effect that I can see on the flying qualities of the Slow Stick. I have been flying a 32 oz. plane for a year with this setup. Knock Knock.

Vette
Vette is offline Find More Posts by Vette
Old Sep 24, 2004, 07:51 PM
Look! Up in the sky!
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Jul 2002
4,636 Posts
Vette, that's exactly my idea for a wing brace as well. Many folks place that rod on the LE, but IMO it's better off at the CG (or "spar") line where the wing takes the brunt of the stress.

What have you got the CF rod attached too? Are those thin ply squares?
eBird is offline Find More Posts by eBird
Old Sep 24, 2004, 08:03 PM
Beam me up Scotty
Central Ohio
Joined Dec 2002
550 Posts
Steve
Yes, that is lite ply about 1" squares.

Vette
Vette is offline Find More Posts by Vette
Old Sep 24, 2004, 09:17 PM
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,096 Posts
I also have a FG spar runnig a little in front of the CG. I cut slits into the wing, so as stresses act on the wing, the spar is actually pushed more securely onto the wing.

I havent flown with a camera yet, but it feels much stronger than before.

Ash
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
Old Sep 25, 2004, 03:11 PM
Joined Apr 2002
250 Posts
I'm working on the wing now, It's going to have full CF and brasson the front of the wing. I'm still torn about what to do in the back of the wing. I never liked the way the back of the wing was unsupported, it really can get floppy in the air. I'd like to go move in the support and go nearly full span with the rear support. I would then need somthing in the rear of the wing to spread the load from the rubber bands anyway. One thing I was thinking of is to use CF and brass in the stock location. Then, use then take the two FG rods meant for the front of the wing, and attatch them to the underside with extreme tape. They would not be connected at the center - the purpouse would simply be to stiffen up the outer trailing edges of the wing panels.

Vette, what size is the CF rod or tube you're using for your top brace?

I've got a 1/4 inch wrapped CF tube laying around here that is very very light. - Much lighter than the standard pulltruded tubes. Assuming it wouldn't cause any aerodynamic problems, it should fit the bill for a top brace very nicely.

-Adam