SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 09, 2002, 07:44 PM
new orleans, louisiana usa
Joined Jul 2001
109 Posts
My Firefox project

Hi,
I finally got the plans for my Firefox EDF contest entry far enough along to get them plotted. This is the plane from the Clint Eastwood movie by the same name. It's not an actual plane, but I've always though it looked really great. I don't remember ever seeing an R/C model of it attempted outside of the one for the movie, so I decided to give it a shot. I cut some of the wing parts and started construction today. Attached are some pics of my progress so far. It doesn't look like much yet, but with the next 4 days off for the Mardi Gras holiday( I guess that gives away my location) it should start to take shape very quickly. I have both of my MF480 fan units and Speed 480 BB race motors and most of the hardware that I'll need. I'm not sure whether I'll Monokote it or glass and paint it yet, but I have some time before that decision must be made. The lite ply mount for the fan units that I have imbedded into the wing will allow a range of 3" so that the fan units can be moved in order to help with any CG problems. The wing will be fully sheeted with 1/16" balsa. Well, that's it for now. Back to cutting and glueing and watching the Olympics.

Joe
slowjoe170 is offline Find More Posts by slowjoe170
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2002, 11:05 PM
Kelowna,BC Canada
Joined Oct 2001
103 Posts
Looks like an interesting project! I love seeing concept/experimental aircraft models built

Keep us posted!
LawnDart is offline Find More Posts by LawnDart
Old Feb 11, 2002, 08:21 AM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Sverige, Kronobergs Län, Ljungby
Joined Jan 2001
4,833 Posts
ooooh!!! Mig 31

henke is offline Find More Posts by henke
Old Feb 11, 2002, 10:29 AM
That should fly!
San Antonio, Texas
Joined Oct 2001
2,413 Posts
I have always loved the "Firefox" as well, and have read the book as well at the follow up to it in the series. Question: Is the aiflow to the fan going to be cleaned up any, as I see the spars running right through the CL of the fans?
Admiral_Red is online now Find More Posts by Admiral_Red
Old Feb 13, 2002, 02:43 AM
Österreich, Oberösterreich, Laakirchen
Joined Jan 2001
3,352 Posts
Here is my Firefox

Rudi
Rudi is offline Find More Posts by Rudi
Old Feb 13, 2002, 09:36 AM
MULTI ENGINE FANACTIC
SAO PAULO,S.P.,BRAZIL
Joined Dec 2000
547 Posts
Re: My Firefox project

Quote:
Originally posted by slowjoe170
Hi,
I finally got the plans for my Firefox EDF contest entry far enough along to get them plotted. This is the plane from the Clint Eastwood movie by the same name. It's not an actual plane, but I've always though it looked really great. I don't remember ever seeing an R/C model of it attempted outside of the one for the movie, so I decided to give it a shot. I cut some of the wing parts and started construction today. Attached are some pics of my progress so far. It doesn't look like much yet, but with the next 4 days off for the Mardi Gras holiday( I guess that gives away my location) it should start to take shape very quickly. I have both of my MF480 fan units and Speed 480 BB race motors and most of the hardware that I'll need. I'm not sure whether I'll Monokote it or glass and paint it yet, but I have some time before that decision must be made. The lite ply mount for the fan units that I have imbedded into the wing will allow a range of 3" so that the fan units can be moved in order to help with any CG problems. The wing will be fully sheeted with 1/16" balsa. Well, that's it for now. Back to cutting and glueing and watching the Olympics.

Joe

Very good idea indeed!!!!
Please, keep us informed,ok?
Thanks!
Cesar
CESARNOGUEIRA is offline Find More Posts by CESARNOGUEIRA
Old Feb 13, 2002, 09:43 AM
Electriaddict
Melville Saskatchewan Canada
Joined Mar 2001
1,579 Posts
a little bit of foam bashing on that twinjet and a guy could do it all too easy!
dorysch1 is offline Find More Posts by dorysch1
Old May 14, 2004, 02:36 PM
bredasdorp
Joined Jan 2004
19 Posts
Heres my firefox. Built it from correx for slope soaring. Always loved the plane. Got both books and am trying to get the dvd. Buzz if you want more pics.
cheetah is offline Find More Posts by cheetah
Old Mar 17, 2005, 08:04 AM
South of England
Joined Jan 2005
21 Posts
Hows this progressing Sloejoe?
predator2 is offline Find More Posts by predator2
Old Mar 18, 2005, 04:46 AM
Racine, WI AMA# 809291
Joined Nov 2003
5,856 Posts
I have always loved that movie, best of luck on the Firefox!!!
RCParkflyer is offline Find More Posts by RCParkflyer
Old Mar 19, 2005, 02:03 AM
Coquitlam BC
Joined Jan 2003
536 Posts
well seeing as Slowjoe's last activity was : Apr 20, 2003

I would say it's NOT progressing
Huckebein is offline Find More Posts by Huckebein