SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 21, 2004, 06:22 PM
Lubbock Texas
Joined Nov 2002
459 Posts
RT Models big mig-15

Hi guys

I just picked up a RT Models big mig-15 on ebay.
Do any of you have one or know any one who dose?

I was thinking a mega 222/20/2 and a midifan on 8 or 10 cells. dose that sound right? I what to have plenty of power.

Thanks
Lee
elp914 is offline Find More Posts by elp914
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2004, 07:25 PM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,779 Posts
609 or Ky fan is best for it. I have one and it's a great model, nice and light and an easy build. I changed mine though and split the fuse just behind the wings, that fan also goes there for easier C/G and for better removal. You just have to modify formers accordingly so the flow is straight. Mine is setup with KY fan and a 3T mega, nice and light and should be hand launchable.
monkamarm2000 is offline Find More Posts by monkamarm2000
Old Sep 22, 2004, 07:30 AM
Lubbock Texas
Joined Nov 2002
459 Posts
Hi monkamarm2000
Are you using a mega 15/16/3 or a 22/20/3? I have the 15/16/3 in my t-33 and would llike a bit more power out of the mig. Or at least I think I would.

Thanks
Lee
Old Sep 22, 2004, 10:20 AM
Racine, WI AMA# 809291
Joined Nov 2003
5,856 Posts
The Midifan acepts a 5mm shaft, so you'd either need to adapt the 16/15/3 or get the 22/20/3 with a 5mm shaft. Your going to need more cells too
RCParkflyer is offline Find More Posts by RCParkflyer
Old Sep 22, 2004, 10:31 AM
Lubbock Texas
Joined Nov 2002
459 Posts
RCParkflyer
I'm new to EDF. I thought with a 22/20/3 trun I could use 8 or ten cell packs? How many cells will I need?
I'm trying to get a set up that I could use the pack that I allready have. Sounds like that might not be the best idea.

Thnaks
Lee
Last edited by elp914; Sep 22, 2004 at 10:47 AM.
Old Sep 22, 2004, 10:36 AM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,324 Posts
I have one in the planning stage. I'll be using the minifan and molding the smaller ducting to fit, from glass. I feel this will give me more than ample room for cells or possibly lipos. I'll be moving the fan to the rear also.

I think the Midi fan is an over kill and might even hurt the light wt performance theme of the plane. But this is just my humble opinion.

Steve
St. Martin is offline Find More Posts by St. Martin
Old Sep 22, 2004, 11:06 AM
Ocala, Fla
Joined Mar 2002
262 Posts
Hi Lee,

Barry and Steve are refering to the smaller Mig. The larger version is basically the same build just a scaled up version for Midi power.

Personally I used the Toki .18 IC and the old Kress units on glow. There have been several done on Midi power I'll shoot theses guys a few e mails and see what their AUW and what power configurations they went with.

On my website you can view the building manual and a few pictures mostly of the small 609 powered version but I also have some online and on the PC of the large Mig.

When built as per plans/manual it is a good flyer and will accept retracts with minor fitting and on glow be in the 4 1/2 lb. range If you have any questions just e mail me and I'll see what I can do for you.

Actually I went to the dark side turbines and my main love is de Havilland aircraft and have sold the small Mig and large version designs. But like I said if you need any questions while building just e mail me.

Thanks,
Mark
RT Models
Mark Turner is offline Find More Posts by Mark Turner
Old Sep 22, 2004, 11:26 AM
Lubbock Texas
Joined Nov 2002
459 Posts
Hi Mark
I'v been looking at your webpage for a long time. As a mater of fact I all most bought the "last big mig" you had on your sale page a week or two ago.

I would be great if any of the EDF builder could give me there power setup. I want this thing to rock the turbine guys at my feild. Retracks!!!!!! It will take retacts? In that case my will defanatly have to have them . Can you tell me which one to use.

Thanks very much
Lee
Last edited by elp914; Sep 22, 2004 at 11:31 AM.
Old Sep 22, 2004, 12:10 PM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,779 Posts
Oh a Midi Version? cool, that would be a blast. And if thats the case you would need more cells for a 20/3 in a Midi Fan, more like 14 or 16 cells. 12 cells will only get you 350 watts, not alot for the weight of the bigger bird with a 12 cell load. Could go lipo though, I'm sure it would fit, but a 5s would give you around 600 watts and you could still get away with a 40 amp ESC.

Barry
monkamarm2000 is offline Find More Posts by monkamarm2000
Old Sep 22, 2004, 01:04 PM
Ocala, Fla
Joined Mar 2002
262 Posts
Lee,

I used the ones EJF used to sell....I thinkl the ones by JHH are the same ones just with more complete with tank and fittings.

I actually need to check on that myself as I have a F-86 design for Toki/Midi power that I have been working on for awile now.

They are a tight fit and not drop in install but do work well with it.

Thanks,
Mark
RT Models
Old Sep 22, 2004, 01:07 PM
Van Nuys
Joined Mar 2004
1,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Turner
Lee,

I used the ones EJF used to sell....I thinkl the ones by JHH are the same ones just with more complete with tank and fittings.

I actually need to check on that myself as I have a F-86 design for Toki/Midi power that I have been working on for awile now.

They are a tight fit and not drop in install but do work well with it.

Thanks,
Mark
RT Models

what's the weight of the complete retract setup?
demetrius is offline Find More Posts by demetrius
Old Sep 22, 2004, 03:56 PM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,324 Posts
Midi?? oppps... sorry...

Steve
St. Martin is offline Find More Posts by St. Martin
Old Sep 22, 2004, 05:43 PM
Ocala, Fla
Joined Mar 2002
262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by demetrius
what's the weight of the complete retract setup?

I could be off as I never really weighed the retract setup but would guess about 11 oz total....e mail JHH and ask. Chris has said the ones they carry are the same unit but are packaged as a more complete setup.

Thanks,
Mark
RT Models
Old Sep 30, 2004, 06:03 PM
Lubbock Texas
Joined Nov 2002
459 Posts
Hi Mark
I got my short kit this afternoon Looks like it is going to be a great plane. I have decided to put robart micro mechanical retracts in it. I am going to use a mega 22/20/2 with the midi fan and 4s lipos for power.
I Was wondering if you had heard from any one eles that had used e power on the big mig. I'm wondering what kind of all up wieght I can expect.

Thanks
Lee
Old Oct 01, 2004, 08:52 PM
South Fla.
Joined Jul 2002
120 Posts
you may want to call him or wait for a e-mail he is still with out power from the last hurricane and is running a generator just to check mail and take care of orders i was over there today helping cut up several 100 foot trees that are down on the property several of us will be ther all weekend helping out

BTW he is having a big post hurricane sale to raise some cash not much edf stuff but some good prices the link is on the front page and anyone in the Ocala area is getting cash and a free Yak kit for helping out with the tree issues

BW
BruceWilkerson is offline Find More Posts by BruceWilkerson
Last edited by BruceWilkerson; Oct 01, 2004 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Added info