HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 21, 2004, 03:15 PM
Fly by grace
Canada
Joined Aug 2004
899 Posts
E-Starter lost in corn field, GWS reciever range ?

This is my 3rd wonderful flight on the stock 350 E-Starter.

30 seconds into flight, I notice a glitch on the plane. 3 seconds later I try to turn the plane around towards me and result in a down-wind stall. The plane was at 150ft so I let it dive a bit with no spin -- hopping to use elevator to pull up. However, the elevator does not response and oh-on my E-Starter dive straight into a near by corn field.

This is 5 days ago, I combed the 11ft tall corn field with no trace of my E-Starter

If I recall correctly, the plane might have gone too far. It look like about 300 to 350 meters away when it lose control. My Futaba 7C alos beeped once right beofer that happened. The 7C reported 9.8v on its LCD.

Setup:
350C, 8cell NiMH, 750mAH
3xPico servos
GWS R6NPII rec with 50cm antena
ICS-300 ESC
rkhoo is offline Find More Posts by rkhoo
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2004, 04:43 PM
Cross Into The Blue
SW Florida
Joined Aug 2004
356 Posts
That has nothing to do with the TX. The problem is either
1. a mechanical failure (contorl horn-popped out etc)
2. Did you cut the recievers antanae by any chance (a no-no!)
3. Interference at your field
4. Placement of reciever/antanae near servos/wires (very bad)
5. A bad Crystal (more common than you think)
6. You got unlucky and purchased a faulty reciever

Sorry about your loss, hopefully you'll find your plane or get a new one and continue into the world of RC. HAPPY FLYING!
migdestroyer999 is offline Find More Posts by migdestroyer999
Old Sep 21, 2004, 05:16 PM
Nashville TN, USA
Joined Jun 2004
1,255 Posts
Don't know if this will help find your plane, but once we lost one in similar situation. We sent up a camera plane....took pictures...and was able to find the plane by the trails we had left in the tall grass.... If it fell between the corn rows to the ground...it might be lost forever....

Good luck...
mjdee14 is offline Find More Posts by mjdee14
Old Sep 21, 2004, 05:54 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkhoo
This is my 3rd wonderful flight on the stock 350 E-Starter.

30 seconds into flight, I notice a glitch on the plane. 3 seconds later I try to turn the plane around towards me and result in a down-wind stall. The plane was at 150ft so I let it dive a bit with no spin -- hopping to use elevator to pull up. However, the elevator does not response and oh-on my E-Starter dive straight into a near by corn field.

This is 5 days ago, I combed the 11ft tall corn field with no trace of my E-Starter

If I recall correctly, the plane might have gone too far. It look like about 300 to 350 meters away when it lose control. My Futaba 7C alos beeped once right beofer that happened. The 7C reported 9.8v on its LCD.

Setup:
350C, 8cell NiMH, 750mAH
3xPico servos
GWS R6NPII rec with 50cm antena
ICS-300 ESC
At 300-350 meters, you most likely flew out of range (1000 ft. advertised, but some have gotten more and some less). I've had two GWS R4PII with 500 ft advertised range, and both would only get about 200-300 ft. with a GWS TX.

I hope you find your plane!
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Sep 21, 2004, 06:06 PM
Joined Feb 2004
132 Posts
Depending on where you're at, the corn should be dry enough to go in the next week or so. Around here anyways. You could ask the farmer to keep an eye out for it when he combines that area. At least the electronics should still be good. Hope this helps.

-John
Airborne 2007 is offline Find More Posts by Airborne 2007
Old Sep 21, 2004, 07:35 PM
Model Designer
United Kingdom, England, Burnley
Joined Apr 2001
5,495 Posts
A bit late now . . .

When flying in or near fields where models could be LOST, such as one with 11ft corn . . . always fit a Lost Model Alarm, that will sound upon the receiver going out of range - or the transmitter being switched off.

VERY well worth the $15 or so that it might cost, and the weight of the two components is negligible.
The one below weighs 13g - a half an ounce - and is loud enough to find your model even in a field of 11ft corn.

Keven.
keven64 is offline Find More Posts by keven64