SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 21, 2004, 12:15 AM
I crash, therefore I FLY!
Spring Hill, FL
Joined Feb 2003
1,489 Posts
Best all-round brushless motor to ESC connectors? (In bulk?)

I'm just trying to simplify things. I'm currently working with cd rom motors, single and double stators, maybe a tripple in the future.

Right now, I'm using Dean's Ultra's for the battery to the ESC for both 2s and 2s lipo packs. I know it's gross overkill for the 2s packs, but fine for the 2s and who knows about the future? (Maybe some larger packs.)

What I'm looking for are connectors for the ESC to the motor. I'd like to use one size for all the motors, for simplicity and to let me use whatever ECS and motor combo that I want. I will have a number of motors, but probably just a few ESC's (unless the prices come down some more.)

I'm using some 3.2mm gold bullet-type connectors and like them just fine. But I do NOT like having to buy them in sets that contain both male and female connectors. Since I use the female connectors on the ESC's, that means I need more male connectors for the motors.

What would be a good connector that I could use with different size cd rom motors, that can be bought in bulk, in lots of male only and female only?

Looking for a "one-size-fits-all" kind of solution.

Mike S.
mad mike is offline Find More Posts by mad mike
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2004, 12:54 AM
It'll work this time!
Deep in the heart of Texas
Joined May 2003
733 Posts
Hey...

I'm not sure if it's useful to your situation, but I'm liking the Deans 3-pin connectors. They're compact, versatile, and reasonably cheap.

Keep in mind, though, that my hottest plane so far only draws 10 amps. If I go over that, I'm going to have to go to something that will handle more power.

If space is no object, have you considered the power-pole type connectors? With them, male/female is no issue at all.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXD176&P=7

Hope that's useful,
Chris
The Commodore is offline Find More Posts by The Commodore
Old Sep 21, 2004, 07:06 AM
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Joined May 2003
27,205 Posts
Azarr, at www.ecubedrc.com, has, at my suggestion, ordered some MP Jet Gold Connectors (1.8mm, 2.5mm, 3.5mm) in "male only", "female only" packs from the factory, but tells me that it may be December by the time they get here! I can't imagine you want more than 2.5mm for CD-ROM motors, even 1.8mm would be more than enough - but I think these Gold Connectors are the way to go - I use nothing else. Check with Azarr for an update.

Cheers, Phil
Dr Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi
Old Sep 21, 2004, 10:35 AM
Spring Hill, FL
Joined Feb 2003
1,489 Posts
Too bad there isn't a "Dean's Ultra 3-Pin."

I bookmarked E Cubed R/C, but for now they're still selling them paired.

Thanks, guys, I'll keep looking around.

Mike S.
Old Sep 21, 2004, 10:22 PM
Crazy Cessna Owner
Australia, SA, Windsor Gardens
Joined May 2001
1,931 Posts
i used the 4 pin deans and pulled the offset pin out. then they work both ways for brushless
Robbie d is offline Find More Posts by Robbie d
Old Sep 21, 2004, 11:17 PM
Spring Hill, FL
Joined Feb 2003
1,489 Posts
Robbie,

Although I like the way you can change two wires with the bullet connectors to reverse the motor, the Dean's plugs are inexpensive.

I saw two types on the Tower Hobbies web site, one is the Dean's Micro 4r, I think that may be the one you mean. It actually has 4 pins, the 4th set off from the rest, so the plug can only be plugged in one way. (Could remove that pin, so the plug could be reversed, I guess.)

The other I found is the Dean's 3 pin. The picture is kind of confusing, in that it shows 2 red plugs, one male, on female, both with 4 pins, as above. It also shows two black plugs, on male, one female, with just 3 pins, but one is off-set, so the plug can only be used one way.

I'm not sure if the second listing is actually a set with both the red and black plugs, or not. The description with that one only mentions the black plugs.

Any idea of what the current rating is for the plugs you use?

Mike S.
Old Sep 22, 2004, 01:43 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,517 Posts
A buddy of mine has 2mm schulz type gold @A$2 per pair good for up to 20 amps.pm me.
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod
Old Sep 22, 2004, 02:08 AM
EDF Head
Stavanger, Norway
Joined Feb 2000
7,999 Posts
http://www.kontronik.com/steck.htm
4mm silver coated plugs, very light and very cheap at ~50Euro for 100pairs.
Haldor is offline Find More Posts by Haldor
Old Sep 22, 2004, 08:54 AM
Australia, VIC, Keysborough
Joined Jun 2004
2,059 Posts
I don't think there is a best all round connector. For small motors like CD rom motors I wouldn't use 4mm bullet connectors nor would I use 2mm bullet connectors on a 200watt motor. I like Dean connectors for brushed applications, but for brushless motors up to 150watts I like my 2mm bullets. They are certainly value for money.
$1.75 AUS for male/female.
Knut
AeroNut45 is offline Find More Posts by AeroNut45
Old Sep 22, 2004, 09:20 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,517 Posts
oops

soz( mad )gave wrong price, might add to that u snip thru the hole with side cutters that gives u the female.
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod