HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 20, 2004, 10:50 PM
Georgia
Joined Mar 2002
1,685 Posts
1-2 oz. Carbon Fabric

I've been looking for some light weight carbon for bagging wings and misc. small parts. So far about the lightest I've seen is in the 2-3oz. range. Is there any 1-2 oz. carbon available anywhere?

Thanks,
Bill
Bill Mixon is offline Find More Posts by Bill Mixon
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2004, 10:58 PM
It flies? I like it!
Joined Apr 2004
867 Posts
Bill, please post the info if you find a source. Outside of the nearly useless "veil", I've found none.
Lomcevak is offline Find More Posts by Lomcevak
Old Sep 20, 2004, 11:04 PM
F3X
Costa Mesa, CA USA
Joined Jun 2001
1,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mixon
I've been looking for some light weight carbon for bagging wings and misc. small parts. So far about the lightest I've seen is in the 2-3oz. range. Is there any 1-2 oz. carbon available anywhere?

Thanks,
Bill
The most available tow for lightweight carbon is 1K or 1000 strands of fiber per thread and when tightly woven is about 3oz yd2 so the common way is to weave it with less tows per inch to get the weight down so what you get looks like an expensive screen door with the lighter weight carbon cloth. There is some .75K and .5K but these are rare and very expensive. Currently the 1K 3oz is about 70.00/yd.
F3X is offline Find More Posts by F3X
Old Sep 20, 2004, 11:36 PM
Georgia
Joined Mar 2002
1,685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F3X
The most available tow for lightweight carbon is 1K or 1000 strands of fiber per thread and when tightly woven is about 3oz yd2 so the common way is to weave it with less tows per inch to get the weight down so what you get looks like an expensive screen door with the lighter weight carbon cloth. There is some .75K and .5K but these are rare and very expensive. Currently the 1K 3oz is about 70.00/yd.
I've seen some carbon that's woven very "open" with 1K. Definetely don't want any of that stuff. I know from what I've seen the price will be high. I'm not going to be using large quantities of it, and the wings and other parts I'll be bagging are relatively small. In other words a yard or two will last me a while. I've searched all over the net, and the lightest I have found is 2.4 oz at around $75 yd. I really need something lighter.
Do you have any info on the .5K tow cloth?

Thanks,
Bill
Old Sep 21, 2004, 07:08 AM
I plan to take over world
Helsinki, Finland
Joined Jul 2002
1,593 Posts
Carbon Vertrieb in Germany sells 66g which is about 1.8-1.9oz It's not super tight but ok for wings. http://www.carbon-vertrieb.com/
directly to pricelist http://www.carbon-vertrieb.com/pdf/10_pdf_preise.pdf
They have reduced their prices too.
/Antti
sayno2glo is offline Find More Posts by sayno2glo
Old Sep 21, 2004, 08:43 PM
Georgia
Joined Mar 2002
1,685 Posts
sayno2glo,
Thanks for the link. That looks like something I could use if the weave isn't too open. Price looks good. Only downside is ordering and shipping from Germany to U.S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomcevak
Bill, please post the info if you find a source. Outside of the nearly useless "veil", I've found none.
I wonder why lightweight cloth isn't more readily available. Is it a manufacturing issue, some problem working with low K tow. Or, is it due to lack of demand.
Old Sep 22, 2004, 12:29 PM
wintergarden-orlando florida/brighton england
Joined Jan 2003
828 Posts
my local suplier sells 66gram carbon and ive used it with good results.the weave is nice and quite tight. he also sells 8 and 16 gram carbon tissue if you want somthing verey thin.
charlieuk is offline Find More Posts by charlieuk
Old Oct 04, 2004, 08:09 AM
Registered Slopeaphile
S-u-A, UK.
Joined Jan 2003
674 Posts
Whereabouts is your supplier Charlie?
PM if you prefer chap.
Cheers,
Andy.
awmeade is offline Find More Posts by awmeade
Old Oct 22, 2004, 08:39 AM
Moss, Norway
Joined Jul 2003
435 Posts
my local suplier sells 66gram carbon and ive used it with good results.the weave is nice and quite tight. he also sells 8 and 16 gram carbon tissue if you want somthing verey thin.

Charlie, could you please give us the name and contact info of your local supplier?
Thanks,
Magne
Magne is offline Find More Posts by Magne
Old Oct 23, 2004, 04:58 AM
Joined Jan 2003
828 Posts
fiber tec is the one you want. there in lancing sussex and have a large selection of glass carbon and kevlar and will do mail order.do a serch for there website ad you should find them.
Old Oct 23, 2004, 09:29 AM
I plan to take over world
Helsinki, Finland
Joined Jul 2002
1,593 Posts
Is there someone ELSE who knows this place and could actually POST A LINK?
sayno2glo is offline Find More Posts by sayno2glo
Old Oct 24, 2004, 08:24 AM
Joined Jan 2003
828 Posts
ive found the link if you want ME to POST it i can or you can wait for some one ELSE to find it for you.
Last edited by charlieuk; Oct 24, 2004 at 08:26 AM.
Old Oct 24, 2004, 08:48 AM
Georgia
Joined Mar 2002
1,685 Posts
Ok guys I'll post it.
http://www.fibretechgb.co.uk/