HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 20, 2004, 02:22 PM
St. Louis, MO
Joined Oct 2002
2,524 Posts
I am looking to build a slow fly Bi-plane

I have plenty of sport type planes and I am looking for something that can just sit in a chair and fly around for 30 minutes or so. I really want a bi-plane.

So can anyone suggest a fan fold bi-plane in a speed 400 size? I don't really care if I need to scale up plans I can do that.

I plan on using my 3s Thunder Power 2100mAh (gen 1) with my Typhoon 15 swinging a APC 11x4.7 prop. The power setup will pull a 3d plane vertical at half throttle at 8 amps. So not power issues I just need a plane to put the stuff in.

I have tried to do a search to find something I like but the search returns so many hits to search through. I used to have Sun Wheel and that is what I am kinda looking for in size and flight characteristics. But I am not going to pay the price they want for one of those planes.

Any suggestions?
KenP is offline Find More Posts by KenP
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2004, 08:55 PM
Trick flyer
Norton VA
Joined Apr 2004
138 Posts
I built this one a couple of weeks ago and it seems to fly pretty well. That's the nice thing about FFF, it only costs a buck or two to try a new plane.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250032

Jack
cjackgo is offline Find More Posts by cjackgo
Old Sep 20, 2004, 09:12 PM
That stupid plane....
Modesto, California, United States
Joined Aug 2004
146 Posts
I was just going to recommend nicerage's design, you beat me to it!

-Rockerfly
rockerfly is offline Find More Posts by rockerfly
Old Sep 20, 2004, 10:46 PM
Oops, reversed elevator!
Newmarket, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jan 2003
364 Posts
Why not try Tim's Ultimate Biplane
http://www.foamyfactory.com/
It flies slow and relaxing, as long as you keep it light. I know it's a 3D plane, but that doesn't mean you have to do any acrobatic.
Caveman is offline Find More Posts by Caveman
Old Sep 20, 2004, 11:19 PM
St. Louis, MO
Joined Oct 2002
2,524 Posts
I might try the ultimate and scale it up 30%, with the motor and batteries I have 12oz is not possible. But if I make the plane bigger I might be able to get what I want in the 16oz range.

I was hoping there was a FF bi-plane with a uncambered wing like the slow stick. Since a uncambered wing has so much lift.

Well I will give one of these a try.

Thanks
KenP is offline Find More Posts by KenP
Old Sep 21, 2004, 07:15 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,126 Posts
The Fat Beech is your plane .... Cheap , cool, visible , relaxing , and best of all flies great .... search the threads for the Free Plans...Enjoy , we know you will......
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw