SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 09, 2002, 06:57 AM
North Carolina
Joined Jan 2002
62 Posts
Radio Control For More Planes

Boy, have I got a lot to learn. I have a Firebird XL and I just bought a "Terry" which is still in the box. I thought I'd set the new radio (Hitech Flash 5) up to run both planes. When I went to the shop (to match up the crystals) they said that one company's radio stuff won't talk to another company's stuff because they're coded different. They said the stuff in the Firebird was unique to that manufacturer. So my question is, is there some way to get the Firebird to listen to the new radio?
goofeyfoot is offline Find More Posts by goofeyfoot
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2002, 08:24 AM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
The bad news is NO. There is not a reciever per say in the FB, it is part of the internal board. But once you learn to fly the FB well and move on up to the Terry You can use the FB for a friend and fly together.

In the future when buying new recievers just make sure you purchase one thats compatable with your radio. Most manufact. make both positive and negative shift models. For exampble, I fly with Airtronics/JR gear while you will be flying with Hitec/Futaba. One is "Negative shift" the other "Positive shift".

When all else fails, ask here on E-Zone, generally somebody out there will have an answer!!
Don Sims is offline Find More Posts by Don Sims
Old Feb 09, 2002, 10:51 AM
San Diego, CA, USA
Joined Aug 2000
525 Posts
Don't stress on your Flash 5 purchase: it is an awesome radio... I just wish I had purchased mine sooner!! (actually, I need to nominate my wife for an award--I got the Flash5g for my b-day!)

John
Spam is offline Find More Posts by Spam
Old Feb 09, 2002, 11:15 AM
Single-task at best...
Telford, UK
Joined Feb 2000
7,501 Posts
Michael,

Your Firebird is an exception to the rule, I'm afraid.

Don't worry, your future models should all be able to be controlled from your nice shiny new transmitter!

tim
tim hooper is offline Find More Posts by tim hooper
Old Feb 09, 2002, 08:33 PM
North Carolina
Joined Jan 2002
62 Posts
Yes thanks very much for the information. I will have my first plane built tomorrow. The next one will definitely match the transmitter.

Thanks again for the information.

Michael
goofeyfoot is offline Find More Posts by goofeyfoot
Old Feb 10, 2002, 05:21 AM
T-52 over Seattle
Seattle
Joined Jun 2001
267 Posts
As Don said, unfortunatly, no.

The Firebirds operate in 27Mhz frequency range and conventional R/C gear operates in the 72MHz range.

Which brings up another issue. Your Firebird transmitter had a range of about 500 feet. Your new Flash 5 has a range of over a mile. Make sure you aren't flying within a mile of any other R/C'ers on your same channel. Check with your LHS to find where most of the people fly.

Silver
Silver is offline Find More Posts by Silver
Old Feb 14, 2002, 11:37 AM
Northampton, UK
Joined Jan 2001
340 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Silver
Which brings up another issue. Your Firebird transmitter had a range of about 500 feet. Your new Flash 5 has a range of over a mile. Make sure you aren't flying within a mile of any other R/C'ers on your same channel. Check with your LHS to find where most of the people fly.Silver
Even better, join your local club for help and advice

Brian
FlyinBrian is offline Find More Posts by FlyinBrian