HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 19, 2004, 03:14 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Apr 2004
4,930 Posts
MIA Palm Sized Helis

Thinking of buying one a BB or Falcon, and I'm little concerned as I don't see any vendors carrying replacement parts for them. But I'd like to know from people who own them, how they like them or dislike them. The pros and cons would be nice. If I do buy one, I plan on replacing both the main and tail with cd-rom motors.
EddieNewYork is offline Find More Posts by EddieNewYork
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2004, 05:49 PM
micro mechanic
Oz, Kansas
Joined May 2004
2,303 Posts
why not just build your own?
prob easier and much less stressfull
aerohawk1 is offline Find More Posts by aerohawk1
Old Sep 19, 2004, 09:37 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Apr 2004
4,930 Posts
I was planning on converting a hornet to a "Gnat" because I fancy the shaft driven tail. I'm still thnking about it... but I like that MIA's BB was designed as a "palm sized" micro and not a micro shruken down.
Old Sep 20, 2004, 01:44 AM
Joined Oct 2003
2,421 Posts
Hi Eddy, I have a older Falcon that I am almost finished getting to fly correctly on a custom 13 gram motor I built(never flew it stock). At the moment I am having tail motor troubles or more like gyro troubles, can't seem to get the tail to have any kind of centering at all. Anyway, the plus side of this heli is that it is lighter and smaller but still with good head speed so it is quick and resposive in flight. I have noticed that the little ball socket connections on the head are not as tight as I would like them( pop out on a hard landing and very tough to see with any kind of bad eye sight so if you try to fly it with things out(easy to do) it will just slide into something on takeoff. So basiclly this head is not upgradable(no aluminum available) and is a tiny frustrating compaired to the bigger micro helis.
The falcon/BB is a 3/4 scale of the larger micros,not half size but you can not get this look with a cut down anything, this heli is very unique and I am deffinatly keeping it and I recommend it.

The only thing a very light motor does for you on this heli is allow you to run heavier batteries and/or a heavy gyro because you really need the extra weight up front that the stock 1.1oz motor gives you.AUW is about 5ozs so weight is down by half from a normal mocro and the rotor head is about 15" diameter so only a small amount less than a micro at about 21" span.
Matthew Cotten is offline Find More Posts by Matthew Cotten
Old Sep 20, 2004, 02:01 AM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Apr 2004
4,930 Posts
Thanks Matt. I agree... the frame structure is truly unique from a standard micro. Almost as if this heli could will be a collectors someday. I appreciate the measurements as well, as I thought it was more like half the size of the HB. I'm also concerned with the cd-rom motor I plan to install for the tail, as I'm unsure if it would balance properly, but the more I look at this heli, the more I like it.
Old Sep 20, 2004, 02:17 AM
Joined Oct 2003
2,421 Posts
I swapped in a GWS IPS motor dirrect drive with a 3x2 prop and I did need to add nose weight in the form of larger batteries but not bad. If you can build your tail motor at or less than 14grams you will not have much troubles with it. Also, you don't really need to build the main motor very light as the stocker is so heavy that 20 grams is fine. Stock is 34 grams.
Matthew Cotten is offline Find More Posts by Matthew Cotten
Old Sep 20, 2004, 02:32 AM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Apr 2004
4,930 Posts
I'm planning on using the 7930 you sent me for the main, and probably go with the 20mm GBL on the tail. How many winds are you using on the main? Post some pics when you get a chance, I'd love to see it.