HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 19, 2004, 02:21 PM
Brockton, MA
Joined Nov 2003
352 Posts
What is a "Shock Flyer"?

I've been in R/C for a while, but I'm curious ....

What is a Shock Flyer? I see the term, but I have no idea what it refers to.

From what I gather, it seems like just a slab-foam profile version of a 3D flyer, made to fly on smaller electric motors. Is that all it is?

In other words, what is the definition of a 'shock flyer'?

Thanks,

Bob
N1EDM is offline Find More Posts by N1EDM
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2004, 02:28 PM
Zen Flying Master
Sweetwater, TN
Joined Sep 2002
829 Posts
You're correct in your definition...originally the shock flyer was actually the name of 3 planes made by Icarus:
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/shockflyer-extra.htm
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/shockflyer-edge.htm
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/shockflyer-super.htm

However it's become the generic term for profile foam planes normally used for indoor and low-wind 3-D.
AUBrian is offline Find More Posts by AUBrian
Old Sep 19, 2004, 02:36 PM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,210 Posts
The Shockflyer is an immensely popular flate-plate (ie. no airfoil, no built-up fuselage, just flat pieces of foam) foamie plane made by Ikarus. One of its main attractive features is its ability to perform very well on a cheap geared brushed system.

http://ikarus-modellbau.de/onlinesho...hock-flyer.htm

Also, because of its light weight, adding a brushless motor (as many power-crazy pilots so often love doing!) makes the performance ballistic - punch the throttle and it'll climb vertically, VERY fast, and be out of sight in no time! .... and yet strangely, it can still fly very slowly too. It's because of this wide speed range and low weight (does less damage to things it hits!), it's also a very popular indoor model, with videos popping up all over RCGroups of people flying 'Shockies' in their homes, in lifts, just about anywhere really!

It seems that the term 'ShockFlyer' has also grown to mean any flat-plate-type-plane made from flat sheets of foam (usually EPP, or Expanded PolyPropylene).

Hope that sums things up for you!
Hogster is offline Find More Posts by Hogster
Old Sep 19, 2004, 02:53 PM
Nimble with Gimbals
San Diego, CA
Joined Apr 2003
2,365 Posts
Not to nitpick here but I believe the only feature that makes a profile foam airplane "shocked" is the presence of another plate perpendicular to the fuse. Tim Hart's Extra and Mini 3DX are shocked but his Yak 54 and Ultimate Bipe are simply profile planes. The construction technique has certainly caught on but there are still quite a fews kits that don't employ the second plate in the fuse.
Awakened is offline Find More Posts by Awakened
Old Sep 19, 2004, 08:25 PM
Brockton, MA
Joined Nov 2003
352 Posts
Thanks for the definitions and clarification guys. Are these things normally flown indoors (like, for practicing 3D in the winter, inside a gym) or are they too powerful for that and need to be flown outdoors?

Just curious if they'd make a good item for winter indoor flying...

Thanks,

Bob
N1EDM is offline Find More Posts by N1EDM
Old Sep 20, 2004, 04:01 AM
Joined Jun 2004
839 Posts
You can fly them indoors and outdoors - as long as there isnt too much wind. Although i have seen them flown in 5-10mph winds noprobs.
Dogzilla is offline Find More Posts by Dogzilla
Old Nov 16, 2005, 09:18 AM
In NY's beautifull hills
Binghamton Broome Cty, New York, United States
Joined Jun 2004
1,126 Posts
Dogzilla----Thanks for asking this question as I was going to do the same---
Sounds like it might have derived from some brilliant marketing sort looking for a cutesy, catchy alternative to "profile" as most know it.
staggerwing is offline Find More Posts by staggerwing
Old Nov 16, 2005, 11:17 AM
London UK
Joined Jul 2004
2,530 Posts
I think they are called shock flyers because its shocking how well they fly considering how cheap and simple they are I started a saying "The shock flyer smile" because anyone flying a shockie has this incredulous, delighted smile on their face while they are flying instead of the normal trembling knees syndrome when you have $2000 flying around at 100mph.
Threshold is offline Find More Posts by Threshold
Old Nov 16, 2005, 04:01 PM
In NY's beautifull hills
Binghamton Broome Cty, New York, United States
Joined Jun 2004
1,126 Posts
I like that concept !
I hope to maiden my XXL Su 27 when the weather agrees & look forward to this phenomenon.
staggerwing is offline Find More Posts by staggerwing
Old Nov 16, 2005, 04:50 PM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,392 Posts
In fact I've flown my FlatOut (same design as a shock flyer) in some moderate winds (around 10 - 12 mph). It's quite challenging but the airframe is only $40 and nothing that gorilla glue and foam pieces can't fix. I still have to fly it indoors.
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 16, 2005, 06:37 PM
Nashville, TN
Joined May 2002
280 Posts
Well, I think they are called shock flyers because the vendors are shocked at how many people will actually buy them!
1g1yy is offline Find More Posts by 1g1yy
Old Nov 17, 2005, 07:28 AM
Baptised Heathen
Bundaberg, Qld, Australia
Joined Jun 2002
1,365 Posts
Each to their own, 1g1yy, but I agree. Some of them are bloody expensive for what amounts to some pieces of foam that anyone can cut in a few minutes. A bit of coloring in (and most of us still like to color in, don't we?) and you got a design of your own.
batman is offline Find More Posts by batman
Old Nov 17, 2005, 08:30 AM
London UK
Joined Jul 2004
2,530 Posts
Thats the real beauty of the shockie, make your own for 3.50, quick and easy and you have a unique design that is all your own.
Threshold is offline Find More Posts by Threshold