HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 20, 2004, 10:43 PM
FSR
Rewired Member
Woodstock, GA
Joined Apr 2001
85 Posts
Great shots Kyle. When I looked at 2 and 3 I had a mysterious sense of deja vous. Then I realized I'd looked at that scene a hundred times on right base in Flight Simulator. Guess MS will eventually have to update Mieg's demise. Anyway, your work is impressive.

Fred
FSR is offline Find More Posts by FSR
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2004, 12:06 AM
Chicago
Joined Jul 2004
170 Posts
I live in Lincoln Park and have a very tough time finding places to fly. I have been wanting to drive down there really early in the morning to try flying at Meigs. I biked down there one day and it looks like you could walk right out onto the old airstrip. Parts of the airfield are overgrown with nice soft looking weeds that would be good for my unplanned landings. I wonder how long it would take for the cops to come remove me...
huck328 is offline Find More Posts by huck328
Old Sep 21, 2004, 10:38 AM
[intentionally blank]
Cheshire, CT, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,528 Posts
These shots also remind me of the many hours I have spent flying Flight Simulator 98 out of Miegs field. According to the simulator the way I fly it, you *can* land a 737 there if you do it just right. I bet a slow stick on a windless day is just amazing from that site!
fprintf is offline Find More Posts by fprintf
Old Sep 21, 2004, 03:21 PM
SIU Aviation
Wheeling, Illinois
Joined Dec 2003
5,240 Posts
yea I was hoping it wouldn't be windy so i could speck it out and look down on the buildings well not quite.... maybe in the near future I don't see how you can land a 737 there. I live by palwuakee airport which I am sure the runway is longer then meigs and I dont think they can land 737's there. they have talked about it though I don't want those loud planes going over my house at 2 am ...

Fred: I hope they don't update meigs fields demise in the nest FS. I love taking off from there as its right next to water so I can fly a float plane. I tried getting some shots of "meigs" but the wind wouldnt allow

Huck: I got down there at 7 in the morning. the sun was just over the lake. but it was still breezy... there were people unloading bikes that stopped to watch for a sec though
Kyle G. is offline Find More Posts by Kyle G.
Old Sep 21, 2004, 04:18 PM
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
Im sure you cant land a 737 there in real life. The beech King Airs use nearly the entire runway to land. No way a nice fat 737 couls ever hope to land there, heck it would probably float right over the runway.

Ash

Still VERY mad a Daley for shutting down the airport.
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
Old Sep 21, 2004, 08:33 PM
Bloomington, IL (Hell's Cornfield)
Joined Dec 2001
1,096 Posts
Actually, a United 727 was landed at CGX in 1994 for an exhibit at the museum of science and industry. It was pretty much stripped down to the bare necessities for the landing and departed the field via roadways.
theKAT is offline Find More Posts by theKAT
Old Sep 26, 2004, 08:25 PM
Somerset, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Jun 2004
545 Posts
Are the panorama views no longer available?
rpage is online now Find More Posts by rpage
Old Sep 26, 2004, 08:48 PM
SIU Aviation
Wheeling, Illinois
Joined Dec 2003
5,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpage
Are the panorama views no longer available?
hmm.... they arent working for me either... I'll take a look at them
Old Sep 27, 2004, 06:33 AM
[intentionally blank]
Cheshire, CT, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,528 Posts
Just goes to show you that the Flight Simulators are not that realistic and you can do things in them that you would not attempt due to personal/public safety. I would approach the runway and slow the plane down to just above stall speed. Flaps are fully deployed, usually the reverse thrusters are at *full* reverse just before touchdown, brakes are on immediately on landing. Do it incorrectly, however, and the plane dumps into the water at the end of the runway or stalls and lands very hard.
fprintf is offline Find More Posts by fprintf
Old Sep 27, 2004, 07:15 PM
SIU Aviation
Wheeling, Illinois
Joined Dec 2003
5,240 Posts
Rpage: for some reason i guess the Pan pictures must have gone corrupt... strange They should be working now. Tell me if they work

fprintf: thats a good point, landing a plane like a 737 or even a smaller cooperate jet at meigs would proove VERY tricky. You would need to hit the very beginning of the runway at least and coming in that slow over water would be a little unnerving. it probably isnt very realistic to think it could happen but Im sure someone could, with the right winds.