SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 19, 2004, 10:15 AM
SIU Aviation
Wheeling, Illinois
Joined Dec 2003
5,240 Posts
Downtown Chicago!

Went downtown this morning for a little AP sortie with my dad. once we got down there we looked at the flags at the adler planitarium and say how windy it was. We didnt drive 45 minutes down there for nothing so we chucked the plane into the air (not litterely) We were flying where Miegs field used to be which has now been turned into a park. It was too windy, so I could only get pictures in 1 direction. But I got a few from other directions the turned out ok. I didnt get a pic of the sears tower though I still think It was worth the trip out there

Pic 1: Adler planitarium (sp?)
pic 2: Chicago Skyline
pic 3: Another picture of the Chicago Skyline
pic 4: the little marina next to meigs field. You can see the old control tower in the left of the picture. where the grass is on the far left it where the run way was. I can still hear planes taking off and landing there

We will be going back again shortly and hopefully it wont be as windy so I can speck it out
Kyle G. is offline Find More Posts by Kyle G.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2004, 10:44 AM
North East UK
Joined Dec 2003
466 Posts
Beautifull,excellent photographs..
Ian
ian hall is offline Find More Posts by ian hall
Old Sep 19, 2004, 10:45 AM
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,096 Posts
Nce kyle, i espesially like the second one.

It is pretty sad that they shut down meigs.

Nice job

Ash
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
Old Sep 19, 2004, 10:59 AM
SlowStick Test Pilot
Yumastan RCAPA.NET
Joined Feb 2003
6,009 Posts
Danger, danger hes out over water but #2 is worth it! Nice work!
patrickegan is offline Find More Posts by patrickegan
Old Sep 19, 2004, 11:02 AM
SIU Aviation
Wheeling, Illinois
Joined Dec 2003
5,240 Posts
thanks everyone was trying not to fly over water most of the time in case i lost it. But I was on an island coverd on 3 1/2 sides with water. The winds made it so I could just go full power and it would pretty much hover while going up. Kinda cool looking landing was another thing though kinda dorked the landing and nose over but all is good Ive got a panarama from the groud Ill post in a sec.
Chicago small Panarama ~1MB

Chicago Panarama Big ~2.5 MB
Last edited by Kyle G.; Sep 19, 2004 at 11:23 AM.
Old Sep 19, 2004, 11:31 AM
Electric Relaxation
Chicago, IL
Joined Jan 2004
2,481 Posts
Very nice pics Kyle! I miss that view so much of our city. I use to practice touch and goes down at Meigs when I was learning how to fly before 09/11. I just took a dinner cruise with my girlfriend and from our table we could look out at the Chicago skyline...very nice. Your gonna make me get another SS and strap one of my digital cams on it lol.
GalantVR4 is offline Find More Posts by GalantVR4
Old Sep 19, 2004, 11:34 AM
Joined Feb 2004
9,096 Posts
Give me a couple of days and you'll have some pretty good compatition (sp).

Nice panorama though!!

Ash
Old Sep 19, 2004, 11:34 AM
SIU Aviation
Wheeling, Illinois
Joined Dec 2003
5,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalantVR4
Very nice pics Kyle! I miss that view so much of our city. I use to practice touch and goes down at Meigs when I was learning how to fly before 09/11. .
Thanks Reagen! (sp?) sorry I used to Fly out of meigs all the time with my Flight Simulator. Fun looking OVER the city. I want to be a pilot and fly around and take some real aerial photos looking down on the city. I wonder how much money it is for flying lessons
Old Sep 19, 2004, 11:41 AM
American MoonMan
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2003
2,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle G.
I want to be a pilot and fly around and take some real aerial photos looking down on the city.
Kyle,

Your photos ARE real aerial photos. Don't mistake the fact that you took them with an R/C aircraft as diminishing them. You are doing very well in your development as an aerial photographer. Being up in the sky with the camera will only be a plus in the future. Keep doing a good job now and you might be able to pay for those flight lessons out of your present and future profits.........

Joe
Joe Bennett is offline Find More Posts by Joe Bennett
Old Sep 19, 2004, 11:41 AM
Joined Feb 2004
9,096 Posts
It's about $3000 to get your license. But if i get all "a"s this emester my parents are willing to pay for it!!

If i do get my license i'll take you flying.

Old Sep 19, 2004, 12:07 PM
SIU Aviation
Wheeling, Illinois
Joined Dec 2003
5,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Overlord
Kyle,

Your photos ARE real aerial photos. Don't mistake the fact that you took them with an R/C aircraft as diminishing them.
ok, ok I guess i missworded that. I meant take some aerial photos from higher Me getting a pilots license would be great but not cheap Hopefully I will get some profits, but I also need a car when I'm 16...

Quote:
It's about $3000 to get your license. But if i get all "a"s this emester my parents are willing to pay for it!!
If my parents told me that, thats just them telling me Im not going to get straight A's I just kidding they don't think im dumb but I dont think my parents would pay 3 grand if I got straight A's. Although I think they owe me for how much money they spend on my sister as oposed to me
Old Sep 19, 2004, 12:15 PM
Joined Feb 2004
9,096 Posts
Actually my parents have been promising me my license ever since we sold our old plane. And i keep bugging them about it, and hopefully they dont weasel their way out of this one....again!!

Anyway, i actually do had an AP we took from our plane. I'll try to see if i can find it.

Ash
Old Sep 19, 2004, 12:18 PM
Electric Relaxation
Chicago, IL
Joined Jan 2004
2,481 Posts
Hey Ash and Kyle when I was if flight school they told me around $3000 but plan for $5000. They said most people pay in between those two numbers. All depends on how fast you are able to pick things up and how well you can remember them. The hardest part to me was Power on stalls and cross wind landings. I paid about $260 a week to fly two days a week.
GalantVR4 is offline Find More Posts by GalantVR4
Old Sep 19, 2004, 12:34 PM
Joined Feb 2004
9,096 Posts
Galant, kyle lets take this disscussion back to the club forum, this is a bit off topic.
Old Sep 19, 2004, 12:36 PM
SIU Aviation
Wheeling, Illinois
Joined Dec 2003
5,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalantVR4
Your gonna make me get another SS and strap one of my digital cams on it lol.
You shouldnt have gave it to ash lol . You should its great fun also 3,000-5,000 is probably way out of my parents price range or mine, or both of ours combined anyways... o well, maybe ill go buy some lottery tickets and hope for the best