HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 18, 2004, 07:55 PM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2002
3,878 Posts
Question
Micro Tiger Moth Build - Questions

Micro TM

I am wondering if there are some folks out there who have built this little Tiger Moth and might have some suggestions for me. I have not built a kit like this before and there are some things that must be assumed that I donít know and lack experience.

First of all, where is the best place to locate the wires for the rudder and elevator? Should they run along the inside of the body?

Secondly, what have you done for adding color to the wood? I read about watercolor paint, but that will not always be the same depending on the piece of wood being painted. Options?

I have much of the plane together, but the fuselage is twisting at the rear. I have not tried to steam it out. One of the sides is much harder than the other. I probably should have made another fuse half, but I didnít think it would be a problem. Suggestions?

Also, please jump in with any pictures that may help me. Iím a visual learner, so they are worth thousands of words to me.

Thanks,

Roger
Rogerdoger is offline Find More Posts by Rogerdoger
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2004, 07:58 PM
Joined Apr 2002
3,878 Posts
Micro TM

Here is a pic of the pieces.

Roger
Old Sep 18, 2004, 08:30 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,608 Posts
Are you building from a kit or scratch from plans? The wires ahould be inside the fuse. Moving the actuators from the tail to inside the fuse with a remote actuator setup makes it much easier to balance. Looks like you have a bit of glue on the aft portion of the fuse too. That just adds weight to the tail. Nasty gaps in the top of fuse in front too. You can cut another fuse from a single piece of wood and help with the bowing /twisting problem. Take two fuse side templates and tape them together at the top seam on the turdle deck (aft of the back cockpit) and cut it out as a single piece. Join the top seams between the cockpits and forward before you worry about adding formers. You just have to take your time and be careful to get it straight.
Tim Wolff is offline Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 18, 2004, 08:52 PM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
If you CA'd it together, acetone will debond it so you can try again...
Mike Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Mike Taylor
Old Sep 18, 2004, 09:19 PM
Joined Apr 2002
3,878 Posts
Micro TM

tiberius,

I am building the kit. I decided to get the whole thing or I might not have begun. I got the gap at the cocpits by seating the former too high. I didn't pre-fit the wood around it. I wish there had been some warning about that before I began. There is very little instruction to follow. The front is not finished and will fit together ok, I think.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Mike Taylor,

It is CA. I realy can't use acetone here, so I may just cut out new parts and see what happens. At the same time, I may just push on from here and see how it goes.

I have the actuators that are the colis and magnets. I thought I was ordering the remote ones with the throw, but I just didn't know what to specify. I found the kind I wanted at Bob's Selman's place. Will they work with any receiver?

Thanks for your tips and input guys,

Roger
Old Sep 18, 2004, 10:59 PM
Joined Apr 2002
3,878 Posts
Micro TM

I was wondering if either of you still have any pics of your model to post?

Roger
Old Sep 19, 2004, 02:18 AM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
Quote:
It is CA. I realy can't use acetone here,
??? Why not? Get it at the drug or grocery store (the ladies use it for cleaning their finger nail polish), dip a Q-tip in it and qive the seam around the former a couple of wipes and it pops right apart. The instructions do say to joint the fuselage center section seams first. There are also several long and detailed threads on this model here (search for Micro Moth). Since the two models are similar, also search for Micro Pitts (good thread here at: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60849).
Mike Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Mike Taylor
Old Sep 19, 2004, 02:15 PM
Joined Apr 2002
3,878 Posts
Polish Remover

Mike,

Thanks for the tip. I will do that.

Sarah and I are currently living or "camping" at my sisters' house while a new house is being built. I am limited in space and activity here. When the new house is built, I will have my own hangar and can build away.

I did several searches and got nowhere. The link will help. I read about joining the backs together, but only did the rear portion. I will have to read better in the future! I bet my old students would like to tease me about not getting that!!

Thanks again for yor time,

Roger