HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 18, 2004, 07:32 PM
Certified cat herder
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Aug 2004
260 Posts
Which would be a better first EDF, He-162 or A-10?

I have been drooling over the EDF's on this site and others for quite some time, and I finaly have got the money together to buy my first EDF plane.

So I have narrowed it down to two choices:

either the Hobby Lobby He-162
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/salamander.htm

or the GWS A-10 w EDF 55 motor.
(need I post a link..... Nah..)

I have two considerations that I must have in an plane: First, it must be able to ROG (roll on ground). The club I fly at does not have any grass around it, so everthing has to take off and land off of a rather rough old-dirt runway.

Second: I fly at 4,000 feet of elevation. If it is too underpowered to ROG at sea level, it surly will not up here.

I am a farily new pilot (about 3 months under my belt) and so far I have about two hours on my Dandy sport without even breaking a prop (knock on wood). So I am trying to choose an EDF that flys fairly slow.

So for my situation, which plane would you recommend.

BTW, if you have any other plane to recommend, I am open to suggestions. I just took a look around, and these two plane seem to fill the bill.
Thanks in advance,
C. Alan
C. Alan is offline Find More Posts by C. Alan
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2004, 07:37 PM
orlando fl
Joined Oct 2000
5,714 Posts
being a low time pilot I would think the A-10 is more forgiving (flies slower). ROG will be a issue with either as the wheels are not real large. that being said I think the A-10 would be better ROG, plus an easy HL. The HE btw does not have a steerable nose if memory serves me.
dave morris is offline Find More Posts by dave morris
Old Sep 20, 2004, 12:52 AM
Certified cat herder
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Aug 2004
260 Posts
Thanks for the input. I am hoping that in the next few months, my club will put a slurry seal coat on our runway so the little wheels will work better.
--C. Alan
C. Alan is offline Find More Posts by C. Alan