HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 08, 2002, 01:41 AM
vancouver bc
Joined Feb 2002
103 Posts
Question
receiver antenas, can they be attached like with a connector of some sort?

hi there,
can I move my receiver from plane to plane and like have the antena built into the plane and attach and disconnect it with a type of connector?
dr
dave rave is offline Find More Posts by dave rave
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2002, 09:09 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
Hey Dave, Thanks for the post, since you didn't get any answers, I copied this to the Modeling Science Forum. Hopefully you'll get more responce!!
Don Sims is offline Find More Posts by Don Sims
Old Feb 08, 2002, 09:41 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,263 Posts
I believe the answer is YES as long as you keep the antenna to it's correct overall length.

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Feb 08, 2002, 09:50 PM
MK
NJ
Joined Feb 2001
1,062 Posts
Use the pin/sockets that are the used in DB (e.g., DB-25) connectors.
MK is online now Find More Posts by MK
Old Feb 08, 2002, 09:59 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,799 Posts
Like the little ones on the right with no name! I use them for it
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Feb 08, 2002, 10:03 PM
Colonial Heights, Virginia, USA
Joined Mar 2001
1,710 Posts
Although you do need some kind or length for RC receiving antenna, you don't have to make a religion out of it......any kind of wire with any connector works.....I like to use one male-female pair from a RS232 computer cord connector, each pin half heat shrink covered...is gold plated , very light,easy on-off, and very reliable as long as you remember to plug it together...been using all year no problems... if you decide to use, I'm sure it'l work as well for you.....good luck... you really don't have to spend a lot on the antenna thing............kw
KillerWatt is offline Find More Posts by KillerWatt
Old Feb 08, 2002, 10:11 PM
Boffin
Victoria, BC, Canada
Joined Apr 2001
3,397 Posts
Just use one connector as shown in this article.
http://www.rcmicroflight.com/apr00/connector.asp

You can also buy a Deans antenna or one from Azarr, which are much shorter than the original but still maintain at least half the range.
http://www.ecubedrc.com/

Rick.
rpage53 is offline Find More Posts by rpage53
Old Feb 08, 2002, 10:26 PM
Old Guy
Carver, MA USA
Joined Jun 2000
553 Posts
I cut up a Deans mini connector to yield a few single pin connectors (Male/Female). Major length of antenna stays with the plane ( usually a 36" length of .015 music wire in the bottom of the fuselage). The RX has a 3" pigtail with the appropriate plug. Been doing this for a couple of years now. I fly 3M ships to the limit of sight and have not had problems yet. If the ship has a metal pushrod about the right length I connect to that for an antenna. I'm not looking to move the RX from plane to plane as much as have a quick way to remove/reinstall the device without having to fiddle with restringing the antenna.
Ron
Ron Cichowski is offline Find More Posts by Ron Cichowski
Old Feb 09, 2002, 12:41 PM
vancouver bc
Joined Feb 2002
103 Posts
antenas replys

Gentlemen,
Thanks to you all for the valuable info, some of the innovation is brilliant, music wire and pushrods as antenas...cool!heres a picture of my two birds sharing a hitec 555 receiver, of coarse there is the next one too, handlaunch glider(the bug) or electric rubber powered model(gollywock)?
dr
Old Feb 09, 2002, 01:59 PM
Joined Mar 2001
1,710 Posts
Very nice looking tiger moth,Dave, makes want to get one!!!...kw
Old Feb 09, 2002, 02:40 PM
vancouver bc
Joined Feb 2002
103 Posts
thanks killer,
I can't say enough about that little jewel.
If the batteries are charged ...I'm flyin, the sportsman 2000 from Winner was slightly modified to allow a gearreduc. but naturally requires a bigger feild." check park flyers forum on E-zone for some other pilots pics and mods...
dr
Old Feb 09, 2002, 03:52 PM
Lansing, KS, USA
Joined Jan 2002
1,432 Posts
Re: receiver antenas, can they be attached like with a connector of some sort?

Quote:
Originally posted by dave rave
hi there,
can I move my receiver from plane to plane and like have the antena built into the plane and attach and disconnect it with a type of connector?
dr
Like Yes, totally!
radfordc is offline Find More Posts by radfordc
Old Feb 09, 2002, 05:28 PM
USA, tn, Cordova
Joined Oct 2001
238 Posts
Never thought of using pushrods for the antenna. I always thought that the length of antenna was critical, requiring a length of one meter or half of that. Does it really matter that much for close in slow flyers?
Battfly is offline Find More Posts by Battfly
Old Feb 09, 2002, 10:02 PM
Baton Rouge, LA
Joined Oct 2001
99 Posts
What about the wire gage and type (i.e. stranded vs. single conductor) for the antenna? If I build an antenna into the wing, for instance, and later put the receiver into another airplane, I'll need a new antenna wire. What kind of wire makes a good antenna? I don't usually use piano wire for my push rods.
Tom Melvin is offline Find More Posts by Tom Melvin
Old Feb 09, 2002, 11:50 PM
Joined Mar 2001
1,710 Posts
Any kind of wire, any gauge (# 40 if you can keep it from breaking,single, stranded , insulated( enameled or plastic) ) steel,aluminum,copper(most common), gold, or silver.......unless it breaks near the receiver, it's actually Less critical than all the other wires in the model(if any of the other wires wires( battery,servo,motor) break at any point, the model becomes either totally un-powered or un-controllable....if the antenna wire breaks about 25 % or more away from the receiver, unless you're almost out of sight, you probably won't even know it..it'll continue to fly ok with a good receiver........kw