SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 18, 2001, 12:23 PM
Gothenburg, Sweden
Joined Jan 2001
1,104 Posts
Help with pylon plane purchase!

Iīm about to buy myself a new plane. I already have an Adrenalin almost done that i will practise with as much as i can this summer.

The new plane is going to be my next model (yes thatīs right, i take my time building these high-tech planes) and my choice is between the Stinger 400 and the Avionik-D99.

If i buy the Stinger, i will power it with one of my 6V Speed 400s and a 7 cell 500AR pack. If i get the Avionik however, i will instead buy something like a Kontronik BL400, Hacker B40-S (quite "tame" wind) and use that with 7-8 800AR cells or the new CP1300SCR. Then maybe for next season, i will get a "real" F5D motor like the Hacker B40-FAI.

Which one do you think suits me the best? I really think the Avionik with a nice little motor and light cells is easier to launch and fly than the Stinger, but since iīve never flown any of them, i might be wrong.

Please give me some advice
Erik Johansson is offline Find More Posts by Erik Johansson
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2001, 09:51 PM
Canada, NS, Lunenburg
Joined Oct 1999
3,868 Posts
Both the models you mention are out and out racing planes. Neither are particularly difficult to fly, apart from the problem of them getting out of sight quite quickly.

F5D models tend to have fairly high wing loadings and attempting to fly one on reduced power without significantly reducing the weight makes for tricky launches. Best to go for as much power as you can afford. As a step up from the Adrenalin, you may find it to be a big jump.

I would therefore recommend the Stinger. Partly because it's cheaper but also because it flies very well and is not too fast. It feels a lot faster than the Adrenalin due to its smaller size.
DaveSawers is offline Find More Posts by DaveSawers
Old Apr 19, 2001, 01:22 AM
Gothenburg, Sweden
Joined Jan 2001
1,104 Posts
Also, has anyone here tried the small Hacker B20 series motors in a Speed 400 pylon racer? At 40/58 grams (short/long version) they seem to be a great alternative for Speed 400 models. A B20-18L swings a CAM 5.5x4.3 prop at 16500rpm running at 7.7V and pulling 16.5 amps according to Hackerīs homepage. This motor with either the CAM 4.7x4.7 prop for extreme racing, or the CAM 5.5x4.3 for a little "slower" model with better vertical abilities.

Couple this motor with a Jeti JES 18-3P esc, or maybe a Schulze Future 18be and youīll have a great combo.
Old Apr 19, 2001, 02:24 AM
Caution:Makes sharp left turns
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Feb 1999
6,015 Posts
There are actually a few pilots where I fly who are flying F5D size planes with brushless 400 motors in them and they are having much better luck with these than the smaller 400 size airplanes they were flying before. This being attributed to better visibility and stability. An F5D airplane with a mildly wound motor and a lighter battery pack are a great combination. My Stinger 400 has a wing loading of about 22oz/sqft and my Avionik-99, even with fast F5D gear, has about 21oz/sqft wing loading. In my experience with these set ups the Avionik glides in much nicer than my Stinger. If you lower the wing loading even more on an F5D sized airplane then I think you will find it easier to fly in the end.
Troy is offline Find More Posts by Troy
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 19, 2001, 05:55 AM
Finland
Joined Feb 2001
584 Posts
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Erik Johansson:
[B]Iīm about to buy myself a new plane...my choice is between the Stinger 400 and the Avionik-D99.

Erik, go with the Stinger 400. Then we can have a race sooner or later...

You wonīt be sorry. Right at the moment it looks like everybody over here wantīs one.
I think what crowd wants is a plane that takes you to the limits without costing a fortune. Thatīs Stinger 400 exactly.

With 7x500AR, Speed400/6V + CAM4.7x4.7 the flying time is 4min 30sec flat out. Unbeliveable!

Stinger+HackerB20 -combo is about to be tested in Aufwind magazine soon I believe. Have a look at here: http://www.geocities.com/evilpylon/a...e/stinger.html
Petri Nygren is offline Find More Posts by Petri Nygren
Old Apr 19, 2001, 06:39 AM
Baden Baden, Germany
Joined Feb 2001
1,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Erik Johansson:
Also, has anyone here tried the small Hacker B20 series motors in a Speed 400 pylon racer? At 40/58 grams (short/long version) they seem to be a great alternative for Speed 400 models. A B20-18L swings a CAM 5.5x4.3 prop at 16500rpm running at 7.7V and pulling 16.5 amps according to Hackerīs homepage. This motor with either the CAM 4.7x4.7 prop for extreme racing, or the CAM 5.5x4.3 for a little "slower" model with better vertical abilities.

Couple this motor with a Jeti JES 18-3P esc, or maybe a Schulze Future 18be and youīll have a great combo.
I have got the combination of the Hacker B20 18 L and the Jeti 18-3P. It was important to me to keep the weight I have with a Speed 400 and the Rondo 400. It is about the same which is quite important for the small Pylon400 planes. As the weather is not that good at the moment I was not able to fly it yet but the first tests in my room (measuring current and RPM) showed that it will be a great combination. I am planing to use the APC 4,75X4,75 or the CAM 4,7X4,7 as the current needed with the CAM 5,5X4,3 is much higher and I want speed .

I will be running that motor in my adrenalin with 8 cells.

Eike
http://www.schunternet.de/~eike/
plinse is offline Find More Posts by plinse
Old Apr 19, 2001, 11:34 AM
Gothenburg, Sweden
Joined Jan 2001
1,104 Posts
Thanks for all the info. I think iīll be buying a Stinger 400 and run it with a standard Speed 400 6V. Then if i want to go lighter i can get the Hacker B20S or for some really fast racing, the B20-18L.

Please post more info
Old Apr 24, 2001, 05:41 AM
Munich area, Germany
Joined Jan 2000
475 Posts
Hi Erik,

since you haven't finished your Adrenalin yet I'd suggest you better fly a couple of weeks with this thing before investing in new gear Though I know how tempting this is It definetly will help you make further decisions.

These mentioned planes will all do very fine. Which to choose depends just on what you want or need. All variations possible from very-small-and-very-fast over real-fast-and-slightly-bigger-with-good-handling to kick-ass-fast-but-a-horror-to-get-down.

I myself have got a nice fleet of S400 pylons and now I'm trying to get the guts for the _real_ thing. As Troy mentioned a good step in between is a F5D model with a "mild" motor such as a BL 480-33 and N1250SCR to keep the wingload low. But I surely wouldn't be able to handle even this without my S400-practise.

cu
juergen

http://home.t-online.de/home/jschrader
jschrader is offline Find More Posts by jschrader
Old Apr 24, 2001, 08:42 AM
Gothenburg, Sweden
Joined Jan 2001
1,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jschrader:
Hi Erik,

since you haven't finished your Adrenalin yet I'd suggest you better fly a couple of weeks with this thing before investing in new gear Though I know how tempting this is It definetly will help you make further decisions.

These mentioned planes will all do very fine. Which to choose depends just on what you want or need. All variations possible from very-small-and-very-fast over real-fast-and-slightly-bigger-with-good-handling to kick-ass-fast-but-a-horror-to-get-down.

I myself have got a nice fleet of S400 pylons and now I'm trying to get the guts for the _real_ thing. As Troy mentioned a good step in between is a F5D model with a "mild" motor such as a BL 480-33 and N1250SCR to keep the wingload low. But I surely wouldn't be able to handle even this without my S400-practise.

cu
juergen

http://home.t-online.de/home/jschrader

Well the thing is that if i buy a new model now, i would probably have it finished by the end of this season, and by then i should have lots of experience from the Adrenalin.
Old Apr 25, 2001, 04:22 AM
Munich area, Germany
Joined Jan 2000
475 Posts
Sure Erik.
But what if at the end of the season you bang your head because you're so bored (I know one will never be) from your Adrenalin that you wish to go for the real thing.
But hack. Funds are already spent on that nifty Stinger

On the other hand: One never can have enough S400 pylons
jschrader is offline Find More Posts by jschrader
Old May 31, 2006, 04:04 AM
Striving to Rip the Bring
San Diego, socal, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, the Orion arm, Milky way, Universe
Joined Apr 2003
6,320 Posts
deleted
raptor22 is offline Find More Posts by raptor22
Old May 31, 2006, 04:53 AM
Finland
Joined Aug 2005
695 Posts
where are these old threads popping out
ezmo is offline Find More Posts by ezmo
Last edited by ezmo; May 31, 2006 at 05:22 AM.