HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 19, 2004, 12:14 PM
Space Glider Project
Greensboro, NC
Joined Feb 2004
186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermite
I have seen this done before somwhere from a link on this forum but I don't think they got that altitude, you could definitely see the curvature of the Earth and a little darkness above.
Lawrence, how far (depending on winds obviously) have you anticipated the drift on the ascent?
We can handle up to 200 miles downwind in moderate wind conditions. We anticipate having the Space Glider directly overhead with 40,000 feet to spare.

Here's a few more pics
Lawrence
Tristar500 is offline Find More Posts by Tristar500
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2004, 12:46 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,341 Posts
40 years ago I ran into a problem with component freezing at a temperature right near 32F.. causing a servo to fail, and the plane to crash.
Your moving/electronic parts might need an onboard heater to keep the temperature within the operating range of the electronics.
I doubt hobby quality stuff can do the job.
Sparky Paul is online now Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 19, 2004, 01:03 PM
London, England
Joined May 2003
1,591 Posts
200 miles downwind! Wow!
thermite is offline Find More Posts by thermite
Old Sep 20, 2004, 09:20 AM
Space Glider Project
Greensboro, NC
Joined Feb 2004
186 Posts
For this lower altitude test naturally we won't be able to track as far up wind.

We'd like to find a place to test that is surrounded by empty fields and free from tall trees. I'm not a farmer but won't most crops be harvested by Early October?

Lawrence
Old Sep 20, 2004, 10:17 PM
Dayton Beach, FL
Joined Nov 2003
200 Posts
HEHHE field no, but i live in Ky, a few minutes from WV and I fly atop a huge deserted strip mining site that completely cut the top off of teh mountans for 5 years, its a huge place up there nothign close around to really interfere, unless you call alot of 4 wheelers running around alot, but they don't bother us flyers up there we have our own spaces to fly in, what few of us are left, we'd welcome you guys up there anytime its not private so anyone is welcome there... he'res a link to what the site looks like in the air

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=23

Jeff in Ky
MRX2099 is offline Find More Posts by MRX2099
Old Sep 20, 2004, 11:40 PM
MX
Embedded Systems Engineer
Grass Valley, CA
Joined Sep 2001
3,732 Posts
I'd love to see what a ZLog does on one of those flights!

MX
MX is offline Find More Posts by MX
Old Sep 21, 2004, 06:30 AM
Registered Slopeaphile
S-u-A, UK.
Joined Jan 2003
727 Posts
Here is the "other" project that did this.
http://members.shaw.ca/sonde/
awmeade is offline Find More Posts by awmeade
Old Sep 21, 2004, 12:29 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,341 Posts
NASA Dryden and NASA Ames had programs like this for a Mars airplane, to be flown on Mars in Dec 2003.. the project didn't get to Mars..
but here's what some of the test vehicles looked like.
The Ames plane was taken to 100,000 feet or so and successfully launched and recovered. It went supersonic on the way down to where there was enough air..
Sparky Paul is online now Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 24, 2004, 07:03 PM
Space Glider Project
Greensboro, NC
Joined Feb 2004
186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by awmeade
Here is the "other" project that did this.
http://members.shaw.ca/sonde/

We greatly applaud their efforts but they haven't "done it" yet. Their last plane was lost in the mountains after going to 79,000. A great project but the race is still on. We hope to be the first(non state sponsored) to do it successfully!

Stay tuned!
Old Sep 25, 2004, 09:57 PM
Joined Apr 2004
23 Posts
Tristar500: I live in Pendleton County, West Virginia, which is about an hour west of Harrisonburg, VA. The main problem with West Virginia is that there is no such thing as a large open field! This part of the state is covered mostly by forests (most of which are National Forest land) and mountains. There are some more open, rolling hills in the panhandle of the state (like around Martinsburg), but most of that land is private land or heavily populated, and most people around here aren't keen on allowing people to have access to their land, for any reason. I used to work for a state wildlife agency and sometimes had to ask permission to do some work on people's land. Sometimes we got it, and sometimes we were shown the business end of a shotgun. We've met some really unfriendly folks around here. I'm not sure what prospects there are for open spaces in VA. I'd love to help you when you launch, but I'll be really busy the next few weeks. Good luck, though. You can email or PM me if you have any other questions about the area.
Andyw is offline Find More Posts by Andyw
Old Sep 25, 2004, 10:20 PM
Joined Apr 2004
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermite
I have seen this done before somwhere from a link on this forum but I don't think they got that altitude, you could definitely see the curvature of the Earth and a little darkness above.
Lawrence, how far (depending on winds obviously) have you anticipated the drift on the ascent?
Maybe you're thinking of the "FREESPACE" group that sent a balloon and camera up to 94,000 ft. The FREESPACE web site

The Hi Cam website has some more info about other high altitute camera projects.
Andyw is offline Find More Posts by Andyw
Old Aug 25, 2008, 11:34 AM
Joined May 2008
1 Posts
Interesting project - We're doing some work here in New Mexico that might provide some answers. Information can be found at http://www.psl.nmsu.edu/aerospace/registration.php. If it's helpful and you call, you could mention that Bob sent you the link.
Goarmy is offline Find More Posts by Goarmy
Old Aug 25, 2008, 11:39 AM
FrankC
Ocala, Florida
Joined Jun 2007
499 Posts
Maybe look for an airfield used for skydiving? That would need to be slightly away from the high traffic areas but may give you enough room to work with. just a thought.
FrankC is offline Find More Posts by FrankC
Old Aug 25, 2008, 07:54 PM
Professor of Wood
Nampa. Idaho
Joined Nov 2004
4,266 Posts
Hi Larry,

Long time no talk to. I'm glad to see this project getting ready to go for you. The biggest problems we ever had in my local TVNSP Ham group was getting any balloon and cargo to 100K. We made it a few times with a 1000gm balloon and very light loads with a free lift fill of only 3 pounds. That allowed us to maintain about 1000' per minute ascent rate. But those balloons can be so finicky once you get to max rating. Some perform way better than spec'd. Some just met spec. We never had any fall short though unless they were damaged on the ground or sent up through freezing fog.

Anyway, best of luck hitting the 100K magic mark. We send servos, receivers, Microcontrollers, LiIon and NiCd batteries, GPS units, Tiny tracks, small 2 meter rigs etc up to -60F without heating and without insulation in some cases and have never had any issues with things failing. The gear isn't up there all that long. Coldest temps are right after the descent begins.

Dan
kd7ost is offline Find More Posts by kd7ost
Old Aug 25, 2008, 08:44 PM
FrankC
Ocala, Florida
Joined Jun 2007
499 Posts
As I have posted in the past, I worked with weather balloons in the army and we only had one designed to reach 100,000 feet. In my 6.5 years I launched over 2000 ballons, most were designed for around 50,000 feet. It takes a while to get that high too. We spent about 6 months launching the large ones every morning and going for maximum altitude. We broke 100,000 a lot of times but it was a bit over 3 hours to get there.
FrankC is offline Find More Posts by FrankC