HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 17, 2004, 12:28 PM
MeVs Gravity, Gravity won
Cambridge, U.K.
Joined May 2004
358 Posts
Idea
Help to build my FIRST plane

hi guys, thanks for all the help in the past, but i have some more questions.

Just to say i plan on getting a slow stick but so far i do not have a plane (well i have 2 cheap ones that i can fly but they are seriously underpowered), i do havea a micro helicopter that i can fly well; so my stick controle is good. I am not a complete newbe, i can set up the electronics.

Just got back to school and a opertunity that has to be taken arrived. It turns out that i can build a project for my tech course funded by the school. So i want to build a mini wing like a zagi .

I plan to make it out of eep (ne other sugestions welcome). The school will provide a radio (teacher thinks it is 3 or 5 chan) and servos. as well as lost of tools .

i would like to put a motor (wondering what motor and prop to use, please help ) on the back of it (combat wing?)

I was wondering if you guys could give me help, i would be building for some time (doing other stuff first) but if you guys could give me some help in how to get the cg in the right place and also how to make the main wing (sizes / dimentions, side fins,).

I have acess to a vacume molder which i can use to make a fusalarge to hide the electronics

any help on how to mount the electronics would be great. As i have never flown a flying wing before does ne one have a link to a microwing moddle for FMS or pre-flight.

any help / sugestions / telling me that i will crash and brake up imfron of my eyes / links to usefull sites, would be great

I will keep you updated, thanks

Jarg
Jarg is offline Find More Posts by Jarg
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 17, 2004, 12:36 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,140 Posts
Jarg:

Are you scratch building this plane from a set of plans to be developed by you or can you purchase a kit and build from that?
A direct drive speed 400 with a Gunther prop would be most simple.

Pretty cool project either way!

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Sep 17, 2004, 12:49 PM
Cambridge, U.K.
Joined May 2004
358 Posts
"Pretty cool project either way! " - i know it is great, i get do do one of my hobbys and apperently i get a as grade for it (well this is the cw)

i have to build it from scratch. I might be able to use a kit, i was thinlking about a ss as a trainer. but i am preity certain i have to build it from scratch so any plans would be great so i can get a vague idea of how to make up my own.

I am realy going to look forward to this, amagion it; going to school and building your own flying wing (no more boring classes for me!).

if you could give me a site to get the prop and motor from that would be great. (n.b. would prop need to take paypal and deliver to uk)

thanks all, (think the only way this is possible is from your great help)

Jarg
Old Sep 17, 2004, 11:51 PM
Joined Aug 2004
80 Posts
If you want to build a small flying wing, maybe it would help to look at other small flying wings to see what they did:
http://speedwing.net/index.shtml
http://www.edgerc.com/Pocket-250.htm

Dowd
dowd is offline Find More Posts by dowd
Old Sep 18, 2004, 01:22 AM
Cambridge, U.K.
Joined May 2004
358 Posts
thanks dowd, any thing at all would be a great help

Jarg
Old Sep 19, 2004, 02:21 AM
Cambridge, U.K.
Joined May 2004
358 Posts
if any one had any plans or specs that would be a great help (please pm me). Pics as well to see what you guys have done would also be great

Thanks

Jarg
Old Sep 19, 2004, 05:40 AM
Australia
Joined Mar 2004
2,358 Posts
what speedy will you use?
Philpops is offline Find More Posts by Philpops
Old Sep 19, 2004, 07:40 AM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
3,859 Posts
This may be helpful. Post#1 has a link to the full size version and more tips and pics.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160426
RC Groups Discussion - 50% Zagnutz build - Here's hoping!
Ron H is online now Find More Posts by Ron H
Old Sep 19, 2004, 09:24 AM
Rat
Come get me if you can
Rats nest Grafton ND
Joined Aug 2004
2,249 Posts
If you are looking for advise on building planes from scratch out of foam then check out the Foamies section as they have alot of little projects going on in there as well as a few plans.

If you are looking for something a little sturdies then look down in the fuel powered section and check out the Spads section. This is a section were they talk about building planes out of corroplast which is a corrogated plastic. (Looks like cardboard but it plastic instead) very light stuff and real sturdy.
Rat is offline Find More Posts by Rat
Old Sep 20, 2004, 02:24 PM
Cambridge, U.K.
Joined May 2004
358 Posts
thanks all. I am going to build it from scratch. I will probably power it with something like a j250, we will see.

thanks

Jarg