SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 08, 2002, 09:24 AM
Joined Mar 2001
38 Posts
Need help with flying wing biplane design

I had a strange idea for a flying wing. Take a given wing, like a zagi, and make an exact replica except that it is swept forward with the same angle from the C/4 line. Put the swept forward wing on top of the swept back wing so that the tip airfoils are directly above each other, but there is a space between the two wings.

If you look from above you should see a rhombus in the space between the wings. From the side it will look like a step. From the front it will look like 2 parralel lines directly above each other.
stevenfrancis2000 is offline Find More Posts by stevenfrancis2000
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2002, 10:33 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Hi - Why Not?

Suggest you run up a small glider version - maybe 12 - 16" span. Make from balsa, food tray foam or whatever as long as it's real light, and then test glide it. Don't fret over airfoils, just go for the plan shape and about the right incidence angles of the wings. Would start with 0 deg. on everything.

I'd do it indoors, so you have calm air to avoid the effects of gust upsets on the model - whatever it does is its fault, not turbulence. That'll enable you to figure out the CG and maybe give you a good handle on how to control the thing by bending bits of it up and down to make it climb, dive and turn.

This is a really old technique, but still valid. Chris Golds does it for all his odd shaped models (read - most of them!) and keeps the small glider version afterwards, for workshop decoration.
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Feb 08, 2002, 12:56 PM
The Netherlands, ZH, Boskoop
Joined Mar 2001
1,150 Posts
something like this?
max z is offline Find More Posts by max z
Old Feb 08, 2002, 01:06 PM
Joined Mar 2001
38 Posts
o well

So much for a new idea. But i still want to build one. Probably a 48 span. From what I hear, all of the combat contests limit the span to 48 inches. Theoretically if there are two wings, it should withstand hits better assuming there is no weight limit.

Anyone know of a site with wierder RC planes like the one in the picture?
stevenfrancis2000 is offline Find More Posts by stevenfrancis2000
Old Feb 08, 2002, 01:37 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Hi Steve
Max's model looks somewhat like a full size Australian single seater of a few years back - if you add a ducted prop on the back of the fuselage.

If you really want unorthodox, you need to root around in the free flight world. They get up to stuff that stuffy old RC fliers wouldn't have nightmares about.

http://home.att.net/~dannysoar/home.htm

Has some fairly oddball stuff, and links to many more.
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Feb 08, 2002, 02:03 PM
Joined Mar 2001
1,150 Posts
if you add a ducted prop on the back of the fuselage

Dereck, I had planned to do just that! Any chance of rooting up the name of the Australian plane?

Max.
Old Feb 08, 2002, 05:38 PM
Lear,Gulfstream,Waco pilot
Hazlehurst GA
Joined Jan 2001
389 Posts
australian plane

Off the top of my head...(need to look it up to make sure)
Liggetti Stratos---I may have butchered the first name, but it sounds the same (hukt on foniks)
Very interesting design with neat flying characteristics the way he had it set up.
-Jason
agpilot24 is offline Find More Posts by agpilot24
Old Feb 08, 2002, 08:20 PM
Idaho
Joined Oct 2001
261 Posts
WOW. How odd. I've had this idea too some time back. I drew up some very rough plans just to get an idea of what it looks like. But now I see it's already been done Very cool lookin, max. What do you plan on doing with it? Will it have power? The one I was thinking of would have elevons on both wings. Or just on the back and ailerons on the front.

Josh
JayParke is offline Find More Posts by JayParke
Old Feb 09, 2002, 02:39 AM
Joined Mar 2001
1,150 Posts
Jason, your memory is straight on , found a picture of the Ligetti Stratos right away. It does look like my little test glider, does'nt it.
Josh, I had planned on sticking one of the new Wemotec 50 mm fans under the rear wing. Elevons on the rear wing only. The little test glider (12" span ) taught me that I should have 1 deg. positive on the front wing (rear wing is 0 deg. refefence) and some 1.5 - 2 deg toe-in on the fins/endplates.

Max.
Old Apr 05, 2002, 09:53 AM
Joined Mar 2001
1,150 Posts
Remember my concept chuckie? This is what it has evolved in.
Still have to fly it, hopefully this weekend.
Old Apr 05, 2002, 09:54 AM
Joined Mar 2001
1,150 Posts
And from the rear:
Old Apr 07, 2002, 04:01 PM
Joined Mar 2001
1,150 Posts
more.....