HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 08, 2002, 09:14 AM
Flying Welder Pilot
Reno, Nevada
Joined Jan 2001
1,137 Posts
How do you tighten up your Rotor nuts?

I don't think this question has ever been asked on the Ezone. I know there have been many people that have had a rotor nut loosen up on the Wemotec fans, including me.

I have heard many stories on how people accomplish this. From the use of loctite, to wrapping the threaded shaft with canvas webbing and gripping the shaft with a pair of pliers and tightening the nut with a wrench, or using a washer made out of sandpaper between the rotor and adaptor shaft to prevent the adaptor shaft from spinning when the nut is tightened.

So how does everybody tighten their nuts???

Gordon
Plane Crazy is offline Find More Posts by Plane Crazy
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2002, 09:18 AM
Purple power
shadow hills,ca
Joined Apr 2000
6,591 Posts
Gordon: the best method i've found is to double nut the adaptor, then put a wrench to hold the shaft while i tighten the rotor nut.when tight just remove the two extra nuts..
....gregg

btw, good question!
gregg f is offline Find More Posts by gregg f
Last edited by gregg f; Feb 08, 2002 at 09:21 AM.
Old Feb 08, 2002, 09:46 AM
Col.Hooligan Air Force
Phoenix,Arizona
Joined Jul 2001
1,205 Posts
Nuts

I have found that by cutting a slot accross the shaft so that a common screw driver will fit in slot and allow you to hold the shaft and tighten the locking Nuts)I use a Dremel cutoff disk to make cut.
Bugs Rule
Joe
uncljoe is offline Find More Posts by uncljoe
Old Feb 08, 2002, 10:51 AM
Joined Aug 2000
3,918 Posts
Re: How do you tighten up your Rotor nuts?

Quote:
Originally posted by Plane Crazy
or using a washer made out of sandpaper between the rotor and adaptor shaft Gordon
I evo-stik #360 wet 'n' dry paper washers back-to back so the abrasive is on both sides. Cut the hole with a piece of sharpened aerial tube. I use these on both props and fans. It never fails, and is dead simple to use. a spot of oil on the threads helps.

I forgot to use one on my Schubi, never gave it a thought, and have only just realised on reading your query that it hasn't needed one

Probably because the adaptor thead is finer and smaller in diameter than the Wemo ones, so needs less torque to tighten it.

Gordon
Gordon is offline Find More Posts by Gordon
Old Feb 08, 2002, 12:09 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,137 Posts
I have used loctite or even one or more drops of thick od-less CA to lock the rotor to the (sanded) adaptor back plate once it's already mounted on the motor & in the shroud with loctite on the grub screws, and let it dry overnight. I then tighten the nut with a wrench the next day, gently holding the rotor with the other hand. I loctite the holding nut & washer as well.

I had never had one come loose yet , and surprisingly never had a need to remove the rotor either... I also loctite all the mounting screws & mount the fan partly in GE silicone to reduce vibrations.
Herb is offline Find More Posts by Herb
Last edited by Herb; Feb 08, 2002 at 01:15 PM.
Old Feb 08, 2002, 01:08 PM
Joined Aug 2000
3,918 Posts
Further to my earlier post, replace the aluminium nut with a steel one. Aluminium always "picks up" on aluminium, which is the root cause of the problem Steel doesn't pick up, and continues to slide smoothly. This is probably the reason why the Schubi snugs up so easily - it uses a steel nut.

I haven't used aluminium nuts on aluminium adaptors (Wemo and the MEC/Maxcim gearbox adaptors) for years now, and haven't suffered the problem since beginning to use steel nuts.

Gordon
Old Feb 08, 2002, 03:04 PM
York Electronics
Dallas Tx USA
Joined Apr 1999
2,505 Posts
This may help

I found on a fan (Grop 600) that the split shaft that goes over the motor shaft was too long (at the end facing away from the motor), by a hair. It would extend a bit too far out and when the shaft was tightened (the collar would slide down over the shaft, tightening the spilt shaft) it would contact a washer used to bush the shaft where the locking nut was seating. Or, another way of looking at it is that the seat was bored too deep in the collar. I simply ground off about .1" off the end of the motor shaft stud and everything tightened well. Two fans bought at the same time had had these exact same problem - they would tighten with the wrench but didn't have a good hold of the motor shaft. I don't think this is the same fan setup as you have but it might be worth looking closer at the fit of the hardware. I can't remember what kind of hardware the Wemotech's use.

Gary
--
Gary Warner is offline Find More Posts by Gary Warner
Old Feb 09, 2002, 02:56 AM
Joined Aug 2000
3,918 Posts
Hi Gary

You're describing a taper split collet adaptor, which, as the nut is tightened, squeezes on the split taper so that it grips the shaft.

The Wemotec style uses grub-screws to fasten the adaptor to the shaft. All the nut has to do is tighten the rotor against a shoulder on the adaptor.

Gordon
Old Feb 09, 2002, 08:18 AM
Purple power
shadow hills,ca
Joined Apr 2000
6,591 Posts
Re: Nuts

Quote:
Originally posted by uncljoe
I have found that by cutting a slot accross the shaft so that a common screw driver will fit in slot and allow you to hold the shaft and tighten the locking Nuts)I use a Dremel cutoff disk to make cut.
Bugs Rule
Joe
hey Joe: i just tried your method on a 609 fan, and it worked great!................gregg
gregg f is offline Find More Posts by gregg f
Old Feb 09, 2002, 09:09 AM
Elizabethtown/Ft. Knox, Kentucky, United States
Joined Jan 2001
1,125 Posts
I file a flat about 5/16" long on both sides of the threaded shaft at the end. You can then use a small wrench to hold the shaft while tightening the nut. It allows you to take it apart also without tearing anything up.
Jim Phelps
Jim Phelps is offline Find More Posts by Jim Phelps