SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 15, 2004, 10:38 PM
one game away...
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Apr 2004
3,891 Posts
No more foam crapolas for me, thank you.

Anybody else tired of these planes having dents and scratches on them before ever taking flight?

I look at my gws dc3 in the box and it looks like poop. Ditto for pc9 and corsair. Regrets, regrets.
PerfectStranger is offline Find More Posts by PerfectStranger
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2004, 11:45 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
I build my balsa planes to fly -and- be pretty, but I build my foam planes to fly Case in point, I spent a crazy amount of time covering my Attitude. It's a great 3D plane, but I'm afraid to get it within 10' of the ground for fear of a slip up. Now I've got a Shockflyer and routinely strafe the ground with it in knife edge or inverted. It'll get banged up eventually, but hey, if I want to show off my work I'll get the Attitude and hide the SF behind my back
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Sep 15, 2004, 11:45 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,017 Posts
But you put them 20 feet away and you cant see those problems.

GWS planes and I assume other foam planes are made to be cheap yet easily repairable. They are not known for their looks. I crashed my tiger moth several times and in each case I was able to repair it within 10 minutes and be back flying. cant really do that with balsa while your at the flying field.
DoomsDay is offline Find More Posts by DoomsDay
Last edited by DoomsDay; Sep 15, 2004 at 11:48 PM.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 11:54 PM
one game away...
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Apr 2004
3,891 Posts
I suppose you're right. I just started building up some laser-cut kits and now the foam has lost its appeal. Every little knick just stands out like a sore thumb. The 20 foot rule is correct, and can even be reduced to less than 5 feet if at high speed!
PerfectStranger is offline Find More Posts by PerfectStranger
Old Sep 16, 2004, 01:13 AM
CSI
I promise, just ONE more order
Del Rio Intl, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,995 Posts
Yeah, you are right....the foam can look bad way too soon. All my GWS planes have arrived with various dents and scrapes. Better packaging could help a lot. The above posts are right though....fly the buggers and save the pretty balsa planes for show. I do feel your frustration though.
I solved the problem on my Formosa by glassing it. Man, way better than a balsa built, strong as heck, and was kinda fun compared to some of the balsa kits I have put together.
I enjoy all types of builds, so I just keep doing them all.
Ken
CSI is offline Find More Posts by CSI
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 16, 2004, 01:27 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
If you want good foam, PAY for it! Buy Alfa. You are getting what you pay for with GWS, and a bargain at that. Sure they could spend more money making a better looking plane, better QC, and better packaging, but how much more will YOU pay?
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Sep 16, 2004, 03:12 AM
Never enough planes
Kitsap Co WA
Joined Apr 2004
465 Posts
that's the reason I ultracoat mine.... really improves the looks, dents and wt (2oz)...and build time....... and I still fly the heck out of it.... I think I still prefere stick built planes for the looks though! Each has its place in my hanger....
Snake Charmer is offline Find More Posts by Snake Charmer
Old Sep 16, 2004, 07:38 AM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Just goes to show you that you can't please all of the people all of the time.

Foam planes have their place. They serve a very good purpose for those people who like a plane that flies well and is fairly easy to build, and is affordable to boot.

What do you want for the price? If you deduct the cost of the motor and gearbox from the price of a GWS kit you'll find you're not paying very much for the airplane itself.

That doesn't make them crapola. If you don't like 'em in the box send 'em back and don't buy any more foam planes. It's simple really.
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Sep 16, 2004, 08:49 AM
Birmingham, Alabama, United States
Joined Nov 2003
153 Posts
Glassing them with .5 oz cloth and WBPA makes a nice, smooth, hard shell.. lite, too!
Keith Buckner is offline Find More Posts by Keith Buckner
Old Sep 16, 2004, 09:22 AM
massapegua N.Y.
Joined Sep 2004
27 Posts
I felt the same way untill i glassesd my fist GWS. What a change if i didn't do it i would have given up on foam but at $30.00 for the average slope glide kit without underpowerd factory motor they are hard to beat
Arc Angel is offline Find More Posts by Arc Angel
Old Sep 16, 2004, 12:35 PM
PGR
Low AltiDude
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2004
7,976 Posts
To me, a disposable warmup plane is a real asset. To have a disposable warmup plane that flys as well as the GWS Formosa does is an exceptional value.

I wish some of my balsa planes flew as good.

Pete
PGR is online now Find More Posts by PGR
Old Sep 16, 2004, 12:49 PM
Illinois
Joined Mar 2004
372 Posts
My GWS foamies are my everyday fliers. They fly better than half the IC planes at the field. I love the scale balsa planes, balsa 3d planes,...etc......

Foamies have their place. About 10 feet away in a low pass .....I get my fix every morning that weather permits. And no messy clean up afterwards.......well, if you smear it all over the field , you have to pick up the pieces and get out the glue!!!
VBSuperMaxx is offline Find More Posts by VBSuperMaxx
Old Sep 16, 2004, 12:50 PM
the journey is the reward
Canada
Joined Apr 2002
1,543 Posts
EPP, simply the best for those wanting a resilient plane.

All other foams pale in comparison.

HH
Hammer Head is offline Find More Posts by Hammer Head
Old Sep 16, 2004, 01:19 PM
End User
USA, IN, Carmel
Joined May 2002
2,841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Head
EPP, simply the best for those wanting a resilient plane.

All other foams pale in comparison.

HH
I'm not so sure, the EPP planes i've seen break as much as regular planes.

Also, my foamy GWS corsair is fiberglassed, so it resists dents. It looks great. It will outlast any balsa plane. Plus, at 40 mph, you can't see any imperfections anyhow.
cathode is offline Find More Posts by cathode
Old Sep 16, 2004, 01:31 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2004
44 Posts
Why did you delete my posts in "9/11-Incredible video with facts!" thread.
Are you afraid of those who say the truth?
Do you prefer ti live in a lot of lies?

You say I must follow the rules, but also SPARKY PAUL doesn't follow the rules, he continues to post only in "Life, The Universe, and Politics" and you say nothing because he is a great conformist.

Thank you for your warm welcome.
Contest2004
contest 2004 is offline Find More Posts by contest 2004