HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 15, 2004, 12:51 PM
Brunswick, Ohio
Joined Aug 2003
5,736 Posts
Seagull Spacewalker II 40 size flight report

Seagull Spacewalker II

This is my first attempt at a glow plane; I spend a lot of time building smaller electrics and wanted to go with an ARF. The seagull line is not one of the more expensive lines out there so my expectations werenít all that high. I spent $105 for the airframe already covered and needing only minor assembly.

Assembly was very simple with my only snags being that it took me some time to get the tail parallel to the wing before setting it in with epoxy. I also took some time with the cowling as I had never done one before it took some patience to get the cutouts for the exhaust and cylinder head correct.

For power I went with an OS.46 AX motor with an 11x7 prop standard servos and receiver.

I have had the Spacewalker up and down about 20 times now and feel comfortable in saying that it is truly a great flying aircraft. Quality seems very good, I would have expected it to cost much more considering what you get with the kit. Flight is very stable and predictable. Plane looks great in the air and makes low flybys a joy. Inverted flight takes a little forward on the stick to hold it level but is still almost effortless. The big fat wing makes this plane slow down nicely and landings have not been a problem. Today there was a swirling crosswind at the field which made things difficult but other then a few bouncy landings all went well. This was the first time Iíd had any problems setting it down and some or this can be attributed to the wind and some to the uneasy feeling in the pilotís stomach regarding the swirling cross wind. I had to dead stick today in for a cross wind landing and the plane set down perfectly.

Final opinion is that itís a joy to fly and I have yet to see any quality issues.

Jim
BrunswickOH is offline Find More Posts by BrunswickOH
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2004, 04:58 PM
Joined Aug 2004
39 Posts
Congrats it really looks great
cajunpilot is offline Find More Posts by cajunpilot
Old Sep 15, 2004, 06:11 PM
Brunswick, Ohio
Joined Aug 2003
5,736 Posts
Thank you!! It really is a great looking plane, seagull did a nice job! And it fly's as good as it looks.

Jim
Old Sep 15, 2004, 09:15 PM
Senior Member unum multum
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Dec 2001
355 Posts
Hello Jim:

Good to hear of your success. I've got one almost ready to fly. I was surprised at what you get for the money. Since I am flying from thick grass, I am leaving the wheel pants off and I added some larger Dubro lite wheels. I have an evolution .46 for power.
mudfarmer_mike is offline Find More Posts by mudfarmer_mike
Old Sep 16, 2004, 02:13 AM
Brunswick, Ohio
Joined Aug 2003
5,736 Posts
Glad to hear it mike, I was beginning to think that nobody else was flying this!!! I'm also flying off grass and figured I'd have to go to larger wheels but these have been working so I don't think I'll change.

Jim
Old Sep 16, 2004, 05:09 AM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
You get a chance, also try a Goldberg Tiger 2. Very nice low wing. Sorta like the spacewalker. Mine is also powered with a OS .46 AX. Mine runs on a 11x6 prop.

Dave...
LuckyArmpit is offline Find More Posts by LuckyArmpit
Old Sep 16, 2004, 08:50 AM
Joined Aug 2004
41 Posts
I also have the Spacewalker II. I fly it off grass as well with an ASP .53 turning an 11 X 7 APC prop. I find this plane t be exactly as you described it. I declined to put the wheel pants though. Perhaps later.
Ejiro is offline Find More Posts by Ejiro
Old Oct 08, 2004, 12:51 PM
Los Angeles Intl, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
326 Posts
I've got one as well with a Magnum .61 RFS (4 Stroke). It does fly very well - very stable and does basic aerobatics very well too. I'm still breaking the engine in so I haven't tested the airfram to much but it does do some great landings. I mixed flaps with the ailerons and that makes landing even slower. It doesn't really float too much but just enough. Stall is nearly non-existant and it doesn't drop a wing at all.

Can't wait to take it out again tomorrow morning!
mikester is offline Find More Posts by mikester
Old Oct 08, 2004, 06:59 PM
Brunswick, Ohio
Joined Aug 2003
5,736 Posts
I was thinking about mixing in flaps just for kicks, but it does land very nicely. I'm still really having fun with this plane. I'm on my second gallon of fuel now and every flight is a pleasure.