HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 15, 2004, 11:03 AM
....When pigs can fly
Duffel - Belgium
Joined Jan 2004
1,637 Posts
Yippee!
Balsacraft FW 190 'Butcher Bird'

I finally started on my 190, after 3 or 4 years sitting in a box and gathering dust. I started yesterday. at this moment the upper sheeting of the wing is drying. here are some pics of the progeress. I got a little help from my (empty ) frends
W@CC0 is offline Find More Posts by W@CC0
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2004, 11:16 AM
Suspended Account
ni'ihau
Joined Nov 2003
3,241 Posts
I'm with you. I hate it when people build airplanes on MY bar too.
jimbo
Eljimb0 is offline Find More Posts by Eljimb0
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 15, 2004, 12:00 PM
AMA 148796
Where it Rains
Joined Jul 2002
1,058 Posts
I've a Balsacraft Sea Fury on the bench. It's been at the same build state for almost a year - the fuselage about 40% done.

Keep these coming, I need the inspiration!!

Ken
ken_keeler is offline Find More Posts by ken_keeler
Old Sep 15, 2004, 02:23 PM
....When pigs can fly
Duffel - Belgium
Joined Jan 2004
1,637 Posts
just glued the tips.
now the whole thing needs to be sanded and then I have to cut out the ailerons.

cool you've got a fury. I 've allways wanted one and the finish her in reno racing colors. the old furias color sheme is really cool(the red one). the new one is also cool but the old one was cooler.

I've got the BC bearcat to and it flies very well. got a lot of flying hours on it, and made a lot of fun with it. a less funner thing was the maiden.
on its maiden,our clubs chairman was the test pilot and after a pretty good flight, it was time to land. because he didn't know the behavour of the plane, he decided to land in the longer grass. so he makes a good approch, everything goes really good and suddenly, BANG. the dog of our chairman tought it was an excellent time to do what he had to do in the flight line of my Bearcat. the plane smashed into the dogs back. luckely for the dog the speed of the plane was really low, so he had no open wounds or something like that. the dog barked a couple of minutes, and then I think he just forgot about it. but that didn't matter. what did matter was that the whole front part of my mighty bear was messed up. I had to start building again.
stupid dog. I hope the maiden of the FW will be better.

grtz

Tom

(and ken, start building the beast again)
Old Sep 15, 2004, 02:52 PM
AMA 148796
Where it Rains
Joined Jul 2002
1,058 Posts
ROFL on the dog!! How did you power the Bearcat?

I was looking at a Mega 30/3 or AXI 2820/10 with 8 cells for the Fury.

Ken
Old Sep 15, 2004, 03:07 PM
....When pigs can fly
Duffel - Belgium
Joined Jan 2004
1,637 Posts
speed 600 8.4V and 8 cells
but I'am searching something with a little more POWER!!!!!!!!
the axi has a wire problem. the diameter of the engine is +/- the same as a 600 but the wires come out of it in the middle. and there is no space left for them.

any suggestions welcome

Tom
Old Sep 15, 2004, 06:50 PM
climate control
Joined Jan 2003
86 Posts
beltdrive engine

How about brushless engine ( Mega 22/20/3) .This should be a reverse engine for a Beltdrive. See www.modelairtech.com and check out there beltdrives. If you can swing this, that plane will fly like CRAZY!! I have not done it yet. Am planning to for a spit RBC, thats underway.

Love this thread. Two weeks ago i saw a Balsacraft Spitfire sell for $140.00 on E-bay. You think they might bring this line back.I love Rbc, but $25 for nice decals and brief instructions .
fly joy is offline Find More Posts by fly joy
Last edited by fly joy; Sep 15, 2004 at 07:00 PM.
Old Sep 16, 2004, 12:23 AM
Registerd Beaver
Australia, WA, Warwick
Joined Jul 2003
3,572 Posts
Nice looking plane indeed.
Does anyone know the website for Balsacraft?
I keep getting a woodworking site...
Cheers - Phil
Smokin' Beaver is offline Find More Posts by Smokin' Beaver
Old Sep 16, 2004, 12:58 AM
....When pigs can fly
Duffel - Belgium
Joined Jan 2004
1,637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' Beaver
Nice looking plane indeed.
Does anyone know the website for Balsacraft?
I keep getting a woodworking site...
Cheers - Phil
sorry to say, but balsacraft is no more. its really regrettable .
I like their planes very much.
even on a cheap 600 the bearcat flies really realistic. and its superfun to put one togheter.

can't someone revive Balsacraft?????

Tom
Old Sep 16, 2004, 02:01 PM
....When pigs can fly
Duffel - Belgium
Joined Jan 2004
1,637 Posts
fuselage frame is allmost finished.
still need to sand the wing and cut out the ailerons.

more tomorrow

Grtz
Old Sep 16, 2004, 04:41 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined May 2001
1,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by W@CC0
speed 600 8.4V and 8 cells
but I'am searching something with a little more POWER!!!!!!!!
the axi has a wire problem. the diameter of the engine is +/- the same as a 600 but the wires come out of it in the middle. and there is no space left for them.

any suggestions welcome

Tom
If you look at my Balsacraft Spitfire thread towards the end there is a guy, Graham I think who fit an AXI to his.

I powered mine with a Mega 22/30/3 on 10 CP 1700's, goes great!

Cheers
Flint is offline Find More Posts by Flint
Old Sep 16, 2004, 06:24 PM
United States, NY, Fairport
Joined Jun 2000
2,600 Posts
Flew mine on a brushed MEC motor geared with 8 CP1700's until I had a bungee launch malfunction. Kind of like a wardrobe malfunction, I throttled up before the line had dropped off. It looked kind of like snagging a fish!!! I have another kit in lurking in the shop waiting to be built. They are super flying planes, I sure wish someone would pick up what ever it is you need to manufacture these kits and start putting them out again.
Dave
dottney is offline Find More Posts by dottney
Old Sep 16, 2004, 06:35 PM
AMA 148796
Where it Rains
Joined Jul 2002
1,058 Posts
Dave,

Which bungee launcher were you using? The wood design or the plastic pipe design?

Ken
Old Sep 17, 2004, 07:39 AM
Joined Oct 2001
217 Posts
I have a Balsacraft Fw 190 with a fuselage fully sheeted and wing in exactly the same state of build up that your wing is at. The biggest hold up on continuing has been summer flying and a bench full of aircraft in various states of repair/disrepair from a summer of flying. You may have given me the kick I need to get it finished sooner rather than later.

Glenn
electroflyer is offline Find More Posts by electroflyer
Old Sep 17, 2004, 11:32 AM
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jan 2001
1,179 Posts
On my simliar sized planes I use either a Phasor 30-3 or AXI 2820-10 on 10 cells with an 11 x 8 1/2 APC-E.

Be sure you use at least CP1700 cells, or the voltage drop cost you some power.

In my Sea Fury, I have a Phasor 30-3 on 12 cells, with a Master Airscrew 10x8 E prop on the front. It pulls 655W at launch. For a 42 1/2" span airplane, this is enough....

I would go with the 10 cell set-up in the BC planes, using a 1950 FAUP or a GP 2000 cell (or better yet, 4200 3s 2-p Thunder Power Li Po's). The extra wing loading is not a concern, but the extra zip, when you want it, opens the door to a stretched flight envelope.

Ron Daniels
Ron Daniels is offline Find More Posts by Ron Daniels