HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 08, 2002, 12:45 AM
Dangerous
LA
Joined Nov 2001
871 Posts
Have you guys tried FMA Co-Pilot or any other auto pilot gizmos?

I asked this in sport planes and it sounds like these are more for training. The FMA one says it is good for heli's and will keep it at perfect hover and you can set the tx down and walk away. Does this sound good or does it take all the "skill" out of it?
Spaulding is offline Find More Posts by Spaulding
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2002, 01:38 AM
Elder Freak
Dallas Intl, Texas, United States
Joined Jul 2001
444 Posts
I think its a great idea, and I think the "sport" is in the aerobatics. Anything that will help keep your model in one piece is a bonus! There are probably allot of pilots who will disagree and say why don't we just put an autopilot on it and not fly at all. I'm willing to bet similar things were once said about the first gyros.

I don't think the autopilot found on full scale aircraft make them any less fun, just more convenient! Some will say that this introduces another componet to prevent people from learning needed flight skills. They will say that sooner or later the component will fail and the person will crash because they don't have the required skills. Certainly the component can fail and crash the helicopter. However, which happens more frequently; Crashes from inexperienced pilot error or electronic component failure? I'm willing to bet new pilots crash much more frequently than electronics crash aircraft!

This could help someone get a feel for the controls of the craft, and learn to fly with less risk of crashes and injury! More people would stay in the hobby if the beginning stages were less costly! Then, if the person wants, they can take the thing off and learn to fly without it. The same way they can take the gyro off and learn to fly manual rudder.

I saw a review of the FMS Co-Pilot in a recent modeling magazine. (R/C Modeler, I think.) The review said that it works EXACTLY as advertised. Though, it may not work exactly as you pictured it. They expect it will shave considerable time off of the learning curve for new pilots!

I believe I read a comment from the manufacturer on this board that the current model doesn't support CCPM models. I believe he said that a mechanical mixer or collective arm are required. He did say, however, that a CCPM version was in the works. Do a search of the forum and you'll probably find it.

Chad
Phoenix-IT is offline Find More Posts by Phoenix-IT
Old Feb 08, 2002, 02:51 AM
Dangerous
LA
Joined Nov 2001
871 Posts
Ok, sorry to rehash an old topic. I learned all about these little autopilots. Apparently Co-Pilot from FMA is the most advanced and newest technology but can only be used in FP helis because it only supports mechanical mixing(they are working on a model that supports electronic mixing, though). The autopilot that works for CP helis is the Verio model but it is bulky and expensive. The others are the Futaba PA-1 models that are also only for FP helis. Apparently people are having a lot of success with the Co-Pilot in helis but it is too expensive for me.
Spaulding is offline Find More Posts by Spaulding
Old Feb 08, 2002, 10:21 PM
harleyville s.c.
Joined Sep 2001
45 Posts
hello go to the runryder forum and do a search. the guys overthere say it works great and they have used it on cp heli's
with as promised results.
chris960 is offline Find More Posts by chris960
Old Feb 09, 2002, 12:34 AM
Buena Park Ca
Joined Jul 2001
341 Posts
hummmmm.....

I too would like to know if this could be used as a training tool,as not to tear up the heli while learning,sounds like a good idea...........hummmm..........
gliderdude is offline Find More Posts by gliderdude
Old Sep 13, 2009, 08:07 AM
United States, NY, Bay Shore
Joined Apr 2009
47 Posts
The CPII as with any other stabilization unit does lead in helping a beginner to learn the basics, BUT none of these units will fly your heli for you, there function is to assist not to replace the pilot, if you use these systems for what they were intended for, you'll be saving yourself $$$$ in crash repairs.

nightflyr
nightflyr is offline Find More Posts by nightflyr