HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 10, 2001, 08:34 AM
King's Lynn,Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
423 Posts
Flight Battery Storage - charged or flat?

Hi,

This one may have cropped up before, but here goes...

I have a number of flight packs (10), ranging from 500AR Nicads to 1300Nimh that I'll charge for a days flying. If the weather is poor,and I don't get to fly i'll discharge them all to 1v per cell, as I may not get to go flying for another couple of weeks.

Is this a sensible approach, or should I leave the packs charged and just top them up the night before?

Steve Bennington
Middleton
Norfolk UK

Steve_Bennington is offline Find More Posts by Steve_Bennington
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2001, 09:24 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,210 Posts
Steve:

Leave them charged and top them off just before flying. I can't think of anything gained by discharging your packs unnecessarily.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Sep 10, 2001, 11:08 AM
Joined Sep 2001
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Wood [groundloop]:
Steve:

Leave them charged and top them off just before flying. I can't think of anything gained by discharging your packs unnecessarily.

mw
Thanks Mark,

That's the answer I was hoping for! with a young family and British weather as it is, it means I can keep the packs charged and be ready to go, as long as I keep my TX charged too

Regards,

Steve Bennington
Middleton
Norfolk UK

Thanks

Old Sep 10, 2001, 11:52 AM
N. Staffs, UK
Joined Jan 1997
5,654 Posts
In general I agree with Mark and it's what I usually do. The only exception would be if you wanted the ulitmate in power. Topped up batteries never seem to really hit their best. You'll almost certainly find the second flight of the day, after a recharge, to be a little better. But it's not enough to worry about.

Steve
steve lewin is offline Find More Posts by steve lewin
Old Sep 10, 2001, 02:15 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve_Bennington:
...and British weather as it is...
I know what you mean. Living in the Pacific NorthWet means learning how to deal with inclement weather like it or not.

mw

Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Sep 11, 2001, 02:43 AM
Bellevue, WA, USA
Joined Sep 2001
94 Posts
Quote:
I know what you mean. Living in the Pacific NorthWet means learning how to deal with inclement weather like it or not.
The clouds and rain are definitely something we Washingtonians & British Columbians share with the UK. I prefer to think of the rainy weather as an "extended building season".

Hard to find great fish & chips here though. The George & Dragon pub occassionally hits the target.
ShinySteelRobot is offline Find More Posts by ShinySteelRobot
Old Sep 11, 2001, 04:36 AM
Joined Sep 2001
423 Posts
Quote:
Mark, SSR,
Understand the weather thing totally, my Aunt lives in North Bend WA.. not too far away.

I bet you can't find decent sausages or Maltesers either!

Trouble is, we can't get 'Red Hots' (cinnamon sweets) over here, but were planning a visit soon to stock up...

At least we don't have 'El Nino' to contend with over here in the UK!

Many thanks for the replies,

Steve
Old Sep 11, 2001, 04:38 AM
T-52 over Seattle
Seattle
Joined Jun 2001
267 Posts
Actually, this year we could do with more rain. But the flying's been great!

Silver
Silver is offline Find More Posts by Silver
Old Sep 11, 2001, 08:14 AM
United States, CA, Burlingame
Joined Sep 2001
5,350 Posts
Do you know how much time a battery can stay charged. I mean let's say that I have a fully charged 7 cells, 600 mAmp battery pack. If I leave it for 6 weeks, untouched, should I assume that it is charged 80% of it's full peak ? or anything like this ?
Patrick Plawner is offline Find More Posts by Patrick Plawner
Old Sep 13, 2001, 04:26 AM
Berkshire, UK
Joined May 2001
13 Posts
Patrick,
I would not assume any particular % rate of self-discharge. I have heard people estimate '10% per month but in my experience it seems to vary a lot from one cell type to another, and on other factors like ambient temperature (slower discharge if cooler).

So never base a timed charge on an assumed state of charge. Always use a peak detect charger, or otherwise discharge first to be sure.

AJ

Quote:
Originally posted by patrick421
Do you know how much time a battery can stay charged. I mean let's say that I have a fully charged 7 cells, 600 mAmp battery pack. If I leave it for 6 weeks, untouched, should I assume that it is charged 80% of it's full peak ? or anything like this ?
Adrianmjones is offline Find More Posts by Adrianmjones
Old Sep 15, 2001, 08:50 AM
Single-task at best...
Telford, UK
Joined Feb 2000
7,488 Posts
I also favour storing packs in a charged state.

Mind you, you should see what Kev Mullarkey does; after flying he'll discaharge his packs down to zero, and then join the connectors together!

He's been doing this for years, and some of his packs are also years old!

tim
tim hooper is offline Find More Posts by tim hooper
Old Sep 16, 2001, 05:00 AM
Destroyer of Cell's!!!
matfield,tonbridge, kent,england
Joined May 2001
363 Posts
oh the wonders of british weather i have'nt flown for three weeks now and just to top things off today we have brilliant sunshine with a wind that could cut you in half!!! gggrrrreeaatt
nasa_steve
nasa_steve is offline Find More Posts by nasa_steve