SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 14, 2004, 01:18 AM
Girls? RC? School?
Phoenix, AZ 85017
Joined Sep 2004
187 Posts
Phoenix AZ Heli Flyers?

Anyone here fly elec. helis in Phoenix, AZ?

falcon247 is offline Find More Posts by falcon247
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2004, 05:11 PM
Thermals the path to elevation
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jul 2004
3,255 Posts
Yes - I fly a Logo 10, Corona, Hornet II, Zoom, and a Hummingbird. There's a group that flies Saturday morning at the Sun Lakes field:

http://slmac.org/

And a group that flies Sunday morning at Basin 114:

http://www.srcha.com/
RotorCycle is online now Find More Posts by RotorCycle
Old Sep 15, 2004, 12:09 AM
AMA 754
Phoenix area
Joined Apr 2004
1,629 Posts
Falcon and Rotor, I'm also in Chandler... got a fully upgraded Corona and a 'fresh out of the box' Aerohawk, not yet flyable. Just started a new job, so my flying time is somewhat limited for a while, and I'm still learning as well.. I use a lighted basketball court here at the apartment complex for trimming, tuning, and post-upgrade tests, and I sometimes fly very early in the AM at Tumbleweed Park, but a 30-mile commute has curtailed the early AM flights.
BobRCnut is online now Find More Posts by BobRCnut
Old Sep 15, 2004, 12:15 AM
Girls? RC? School?
Phoenix, AZ 85017
Joined Sep 2004
187 Posts
Great I'll, have to go out the 1st one you listed and see if I can get some advice/help. lol Since I'm a complete beginer at helis(not rc). I don't want to send my new HB Elite CP into the ground. hehe
Old Sep 15, 2004, 12:17 AM
Girls? RC? School?
Phoenix, AZ 85017
Joined Sep 2004
187 Posts
Didn't see your post BobRCnut.

Have you been to any of the flying clubs like RotorCycle listed? Like I said above I'm a begginer too and want to learn how to fly without too much damage. lol
Old Sep 15, 2004, 02:32 AM
Joined Jul 2004
3,255 Posts
Here's two more Phoenix helicopter clubs:

http://www.adventurehobbies.com/wvhc...opter_club.htm

http://www.armsaz.com/

The hobbie shop on Dobson and Ray is helicopter central (Adventure Hobbies):

http://www.adventurehobbies.com/
Old Sep 15, 2004, 08:45 AM
AMA 754
Phoenix area
Joined Apr 2004
1,629 Posts
Falcon, I've been to the Sun Lakes field a number of times, but mainly just to find out more about RC activity in this area.. I've never flown there, either fixed-wing or helis. Good bunch of guys.. last I heard, they were at risk of losing that site, but I believe it's not gonna happen for quite a while yet. Also, as Rotor mentioned, the people at Adventure Hobbies are very helpful, especially Nate. The Corona is my first heli AND my first E-powered ship, and now, I'm taking inventory of all my glo-powered planes in preparation for a 'blowout sale'.. gonna go 100% electric from here on. These RCgroups forums are a real goldmine of information on amost all RC-related topics, but there's no substitute for 'live' help and advice, especially with helis.
BobRCnut is online now Find More Posts by BobRCnut
Old Sep 15, 2004, 09:48 AM
Im flying... don't talk!
Arizona, USA
Joined Mar 2004
2,697 Posts
We should gather arround sometime...

There's no micro helicopter club arround here.... adventurehobby are NITRO people... they personally don't like electric and expecially small heli...

Im arround Tempe/Mesa...

Let see. i got... a Corona, Ep concept, Hornet2, Custom made micro...

But still suck at flying... hahahaha...
helisfreak is offline Find More Posts by helisfreak
Last edited by helisfreak; Sep 15, 2004 at 09:50 AM.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 10:49 AM
Girls? RC? School?
Phoenix, AZ 85017
Joined Sep 2004
187 Posts
RotorCycle- The second link you gave me looks like the closest one to me. I think I might head out to Sun Lakes too so I can fly my fixed wing too.

helisfreak- Yeah that would be great. I'd like to talk with some other micro heli owners in the area.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 10:51 AM
Joined Jul 2004
3,255 Posts
The Adventure Hobby guys do fly nitro, but that because most large heli flyers only fly nitro. Before the Logo 10 and 20, there was really no other choice for a larger electric helicopter. But they do sell allot of electric, and stock a number of e-heli's and replacement parts. That's where I picked up my Corona, the Hummingbird, and the Logo 10. What they don't have in stock they always order right away. They sell Zooms like candy.

These guys do have the once-a-year electric fly-in at Rodio park in Gilbert. This is the park where the local soaring club meets once a month.

Don't forget to go to the Phoenix Southwest Heli-Rodeo Nov 5-7th. It's primarily big nitro copters, but the pilots are amazing.

http://www.srcha.com/funfly2004.html
Old Sep 15, 2004, 01:55 PM
Joined Sep 2004
314 Posts
I am in Chandler also, have had the same experiences with Adventure Hobbies. It is a great place with great people, but they will try to convince you that electrics cannot do what nitros will do. I don't have enough experience myself to know if that is the really real truth or not. I would love to get together with any that would like to! I got a Dragonfly recently and I am able to get a controlled hover. I am champing at the bit to get something bigger that I can fly outside, but don't know yet whether to go electric or nitro. I am still seeking opinions!! And experience!! There is a field near us, at Price and north of Chandler Blvd., that many people use for electric flying. I am there almost every day!! Post or email me if you want to meet and fly, I have a large garage that I fly my Dragonfly in.
eamayer8 is offline Find More Posts by eamayer8
Old Sep 15, 2004, 02:00 PM
Im flying... don't talk!
Arizona, USA
Joined Mar 2004
2,697 Posts
Offcourse NITRO proform much more better then EP... (my opnion) But I like EP more... But they like NItro more because YOU get SAME power through out the whole tank... and don't lose a single power lose... BUt with battery you do... And since most NItro heli are bigger then EP.. much more stable and easier to see...

Price and CHandler eh... im moving down there right now... I pass by there almost daily... .i don't see any field? are we like allow there.. or is it some kind of Private property... So it on PRICE.... pass Chandler... What time do you usually out there?
Im trying to get my ep concept back in the air so i can go fly to... wheather is getting nice out side guys..
Old Sep 15, 2004, 03:54 PM
Joined Sep 2004
314 Posts
The field is on the east side of Price, just north of Chandler Blvd. When you go north on price from Chandler, stay on the right so you do not get on the highway, and you will see it on your right. I will be there today about 5:30, flying either my yellow J3 cub, or my Stryker. You be there around that time?
Old Sep 15, 2004, 05:25 PM
Im flying... don't talk!
Arizona, USA
Joined Mar 2004
2,697 Posts
Can't get my concept to work... err.. damn freaken ASTRO motor.... bah.. i can't get the magnet to stay on there.. so it lock up every time it get hot so much.... lucky my ep concept have auto rotation... but i won't be out till i can get something to fly with... And in the middle of moving house to... so pretty load with stuff... maybe next week sometime...
Old Sep 15, 2004, 05:34 PM
Joined Sep 2004
314 Posts
Sounds good. I am still working hard on my Heli skills...
I will be seeing the guys at Adventure Hobbies in a few minutes to help out with my Dragonfly. See you maybe out at the field next week. Hope the wind is calm today...