HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 13, 2004, 07:39 PM
Blue skies forever!!
Orange County, CA
Joined Nov 2003
305 Posts
Spraying high gloss paints??

I'm working on several PSS projects right now and I will be painting one of them hopefully in the next couple of months. Anyways, I have been told by many on this site to use auto paint when spraying gloss paints to get the best finish and highest gloss. Is it best to rattle can the paint on, use an airbrush with a #5 tip, or to use a spray gun?? I own a Pasche single-action airbrush.....however, I have only sprayed flats and semi gloss paints. If a spraygun is the way to go, what brand and type should I go with. And lastly, where can I purchase one that works well for spraying 1/12 scale PSS models.

Thanks,

Jeff

Carlski: What's going on in the "Skunk Works"? I finally flew Mr. Awesome at Point Fermin a couple of weeks ago. After I got the cg correct, it flew..well...awesome!! (71oz). So have you finished your Sea Fury "Critical Maas"?.........
spitfirem9 is offline Find More Posts by spitfirem9
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2004, 08:34 PM
That Freeking Laird Guy
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
9,115 Posts
If you want that really deep high gloss then you need a touch up gun. Spray cans and small airbrushes can't give you that "wet look".

A good quality touch up gun is a great way to spray on gloss or spray large areas with one color. You should be able to get one at Coast Airbrush or a decent auto paint store. I use a Binks but a DiVilbiss is a good one too. They aint cheap though! ($200-300 for a good one). Badger also makes a touch up gun and it's cheaper at around $125. You can also get cheapies at Harbor Freight for about $40. The finish of the paint is somethimes pretty poor with the cheapy guns though.

Go see what Coast has!

TFLG
TFLG is online now Find More Posts by TFLG
Last edited by TFLG; Sep 13, 2004 at 08:36 PM.
Old Sep 13, 2004, 10:58 PM
Southern California
Joined Sep 2003
6,903 Posts
If ya want airbrushes-- Coast in Anaheim is da BEST!! Good prices on great equipment-- if you want a real high quality paint job-- don't skimp on the tools! IMHO!
\\

And yeah--- Mr Awsome flew---well--- awsome!!
timmig is offline Find More Posts by timmig
Old Sep 14, 2004, 12:01 AM
Blue skies forever!!
Orange County, CA
Joined Nov 2003
305 Posts
TFLG: I scoped out the Coast site. Thanks. Do you use a compressor with a spray gun or a tank? I currently use a tank with my airbrush. What model of spray gun compressor is best for model airplane painting?? I'm trying to find a reasonably priced spray gun and compressor combo.

Jeff

Timmig: Thanks for the compliment........ You planning on selling any Mig-3 fuses in the near future. That beast rocks! There are some sweet paint schemes.
Old Sep 14, 2004, 08:09 AM
That Freeking Laird Guy
Joined Feb 2002
9,115 Posts
I use a Craftsman 15 gallon compressor from Sears. They cost about $200. You can use smaller cheaper compressors. The airbruch type are good for airbrushes but will not run a touch up gun. You will need a tank style for that something like what I have. I think the best value for an airbrush is the Paasche VL combo kit. It's about $60 and has the brush, bottles and 3 tips of differing size. Tower Hobbies is where I got my last one. As far as Compressors go you can get the airbrush ones for about $120 of get a small tank style from $75~200 depending on the quality and tank size. You will need a regulator to adjust the pressure if the compressor does not have one built in. Airbrushing needs about 25~40PSI for best results. There was another thread on this same subject about a week ago that has lots on info on it. You might try looking for that thread.

TFLG
Old Sep 14, 2004, 09:53 AM
Southern California
Joined Sep 2003
6,903 Posts
No regulator-- and their a little noisy-- but both Pep Boys and Kragen Auto Parts run specials on their small tank compressors-- you can get one for 40 to 50 dollars if you watch the weekend adds. Nail gun compressors will work also-- Costco-- $135.00 last week. FYI--
timmig is offline Find More Posts by timmig
Old Sep 14, 2004, 02:28 PM
Mission Viejo, California, United States
Joined Jan 2004
226 Posts
I've used a small airbrush compressor for years and have recently moved up to a 30gal vertical Craftsman (found a fantastic deal on EBAY- compressor was used twice and it was a local pickup). I'll be using it to airbrush and work on my racecar.

Look on EBAY, they have some really good deals on 15, 20 & 30 gallon horiz/vert tank compressors. I have seen a few SoCal local pickups

I noticed that Sears mailed out a "sales brochure" and had a 15gal horizontal tanked compressor on sale for about $180 - a pretty good price.

Mitch
vnylwrks is offline Find More Posts by vnylwrks
Old Sep 14, 2004, 02:52 PM
rational exuberance
USA, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Aug 2003
1,650 Posts
Can you apply gel coat with a touch up gun? Or is that applied in the mold?

A related question: is there any aerodynamic advantage to a high-gloss finish, or is it just for looks? I mean as opposed to a noticeably less glossy rattle can finish?

Thanks,
Duncan
Dunqun is offline Find More Posts by Dunqun
Old Sep 14, 2004, 03:17 PM
That Freeking Laird Guy
Joined Feb 2002
9,115 Posts
I have read that gel coats can be sprayed although I would not do it through any of my guns. Those disposable ones may be better for that.

As for being any faster who knows. I'de like to think they are but in reality I doubt it's noticable. But since I don't often deal with reality I will say with 100% certaintly that Yes a shiny glossy smooth plane is lots faster

TFLG
Old Sep 14, 2004, 03:39 PM
Blue skies forever!!
Orange County, CA
Joined Nov 2003
305 Posts
Yeah, I already have a single action Paasche airbrush with a CO2 tank and regulator. It works great for small planes and for flat paints. So if I buy a spray gun such as a Badger, Binks, or Iwata, I'll have to use a compressor?? So it looks like a $400+ investment. So is a 15 gal. compressor enough for airbrush and a spray gun use??

Thanks,

Jeff
Old Sep 14, 2004, 03:51 PM
That Freeking Laird Guy
Joined Feb 2002
9,115 Posts
I use a 15 gallon compressor and it shoots paint froma touch up gun just fine. I have not tried the smaller units so I can't say for sure what kind of results you will get. The guys at Coast can probably answer that question. A smaller cheaper compressor may work. You can get a low end set up for $150~200 and a good set up for $300~400.

good Airbrush $60~150
good Touch up gun $100~300
cheap Touch up gun $20 at Harbor Freight
Ok Touch up gun $50 at sears
Compressor $60~200
Plus some hoses, fittings etc

So you can get set up for pretty cheap but I dunno about the results. You can always make a bad paint job look great by wet sanding the gloss coat with some 1000 then 1500 then buffing it out. This will give you the best finish even if you use a cheaper spray gun.

TFLG
Old Sep 14, 2004, 03:53 PM
No fuse too fat
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Apr 2002
3,876 Posts
Not sure about airplanes but for boats and surfboards, a matte finish is faster. With a shiny waxed finish, the water will try to bead and bounce off. With a matte finish, the water will stick to the surface and form a thin layer for the boat/board to ride on, which actually causes less drag.

Russ.
slopeiron is offline Find More Posts by slopeiron
Old Sep 14, 2004, 04:22 PM
rational exuberance
USA, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Aug 2003
1,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seafury_fb11
With a matte finish, the water will stick to the surface and form a thin layer for the boat/board to ride on, which actually causes less drag.
That's interesting and sounds similar to the characteristics of air flowing over a wing that I've read about. But does a smooth finish cause air to bead up like water?

Sorry for the off-topic question, I'm actually interested in airbrushes/compressors too. Now back to our regularly scheduled topic...
Dunqun is offline Find More Posts by Dunqun