HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Oct 05, 2004, 06:18 PM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
3,882 Posts
Exellent choices for radio and charger. For servos, Hitec Hs 55's or GWS Naros work well. JR 241's are nice. Get the RN6II flight pack with a pair and you have a 1oz. setup. The extra channels will eventually get used.

I use all 3 recievers/servos and rank the JR #1 without question.

For batteries, 8 cells are needed for the 400. 2/3a 1050 kans are my favorite. AA 1400's work best in the wind.
To keep it light, kan 650's are the best. It's handy to have a couple packs of each.

For the motor controller, the ICS 400 will do just fine.
Ron H is offline Find More Posts by Ron H
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2004, 06:28 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Good advice but get the 400C-D motor/gearbox and about 6 - 1147 props. I like the 1100 Gold Peaks but the KANs will work fine.
boomer
www.boomerseflight.com
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Oct 05, 2004, 07:31 PM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
3,882 Posts
Sure, get us all hooked on kan's, then use Gold Peaks! I haven't tried them, are they significantly better?
Old Oct 05, 2004, 07:37 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron H
Sure, get us all hooked on kan's, then use Gold Peaks! I haven't tried them, are they significantly better?
Ron,
They hold a peak better under high loads but for the SS not a biggie. I use them in my Attitude since I'm pulling about 18A.
boomer
www.boomerseflight.com
Old Oct 05, 2004, 07:43 PM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
3,882 Posts
Good enough for me. I'll keep them in mind when I'm ready to buy again.
Old Oct 05, 2004, 08:05 PM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
3,882 Posts
Another note for AMF. Get a pinion puller too, along with a spare complete gearbox and pinion.
This way you can use your stock motor in a gearbox, and have it ready in case of a mishap. The puller will come in handy if you stick with the hobby.
Old Oct 05, 2004, 11:39 PM
AMF
Chandler Williams, Arizona, United States
Joined Oct 2004
107 Posts
Thanks Boomer and Ron

You two have been a big help. Now at least I understand a little more about what is needed. Here's what I have come up with. If you approve great and if you don't, please tell me!

Instead of going with a RN6II flight pack, I think I found a cheaper way to go that will get me a little better product.

ICS-400 Speed Controller at $21.00 (currently out of stock):
http://www.gws-online.com/products.p...0&pid=ICS400-J

2 PICO-STD-JR - Servos at $13:50 each:
http://www.gws-online.com/products.p...pid=PICO-STD-J

Reciever (not sure which one for my JR?) all are $18.48:
http://www.gws-online.com/products.p...d=R4PII-72-H-J

my guess is that I need the "SERIES II RECEIVER: 4CH-PICO-72MHZ - VERTICAL - JR"

Batteries is another story. I found this site:
http://www.unipros.com/cbpsite/packs.asp

which carries everything you can think of. I'm guessing either the "8 Cell KAN 1050 - Flat" at $19.20 or the "8 Cell CBP 1050 - Flat" at only $17.20. Both are rated at 15-20 amp draws. BUT, what kind of Plug do I need? See what a virgin I am?

So for under $90.00 I've put together my own flight pack which might be better than the standard pack for $65.50 that I found here:
http://www.gws-online.com/products.p...id=CB667A-72-J

Of course I'll be adding several batteries, extra props, tools like the pinion puller and other building materials.

Next I have a question about the GW/EPS-400C-D motor/gearbox mentioned by Boomer. I tried looking for this combination and when I did, I found the following resource:

http://www.gws.com.tw/english/produc...m/eps400-d.htm

I don't understand the charts and let's face it, I'm so new to this that I'm an idiot when it comes to this stuff. But they have these recommendations of "EXCELLENT, GOOD and POOR". While viewing this I believe it say that the GW/EPS-400C-D combo was "GOOD" for the 1147 prop, but EXCELLENT at 1047 (is that the props?).

So after looking at the chart, would the better combination be the GW/EPS-400 C-F? Would this not give more flexibility in regards to different props in the EXCELLENT category? Like I said, I'll take Boomer's word for it as he has a lot more experience than I do and to be pefectly honest, I don't really undestand those darn charts anyway.

I did find the motors/gearbox for $14.00 with any gearbox I want at that price.

Oh yes, before I forget. How do I do that 3 degrees right and 3 degrees down thing?

Thanks again all!
AMF is offline Find More Posts by AMF
Old Oct 05, 2004, 11:57 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
I would suggest you get the Dean's Ultra Connectors. You will have to solder the male end on the battery input on your speed control. So be sure to order a couple of Male Ultras. You get them from Cheap Battery Packs where you found the batteries. You want the RX for the JR! The F GB is fine for the Slow Stick and I have recommended it to most so go for it! Pick an excellent Prop from the chart but for the F I would recommend the 1260.
boomer
Last edited by boomerace; Oct 06, 2004 at 12:00 AM.
Old Oct 06, 2004, 12:01 AM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Oh and for the trust adapter it's just cut out of a chunk of wood! I only said the D as that is what GWS Includes but is not the best choice!
boomer
Last edited by boomerace; Oct 06, 2004 at 12:04 AM.
Old Oct 06, 2004, 12:07 AM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Oh and be sure when you order your RX you get the crystal that is the same freqency as you Radio! And tape the crystal in after you install it!
boomer
Old Oct 06, 2004, 01:16 AM
Git-R-Done
Rich Hill, Missouri_USA
Joined Aug 2004
879 Posts
Here's another good place to get your flight gear...
http://nastytoesaviation.com/store.asp
Hermitt is offline Find More Posts by Hermitt
Old Oct 06, 2004, 10:25 AM
AMF
Chandler Williams, Arizona, United States
Joined Oct 2004
107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermitt
Here's another good place to get your flight gear...
http://nastytoesaviation.com/store.asp
Yes I've been there. Too bad their page/site developer thinks everyone is using Windows and IE. I am on a Linux box and none of my browsers (Opera, Mozilla, Netscape, Konquer and ?) work on their site with their Javascript. So I had to fire up a messy Windows XP Pro using IE. I hope I don't see the blue screen of death. Even using Windows there's problems on their site. Sometimes you click on "Details" and it returns details for something completely different. Not sure this would be a site I should shop at.

Question - When selecting the Receiver (GWS 6CH Naro), you have two options. One is for Verticle and other Horizontal. Which one do you recommend? The original post in this thread says "Make sure you get the kind with the servo pins coming from the side", but as far as I can see, all come from the side. My guess is the Horizontal version.
AMF is offline Find More Posts by AMF
Old Oct 06, 2004, 10:38 AM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMF
Yes I've been there. Too bad their page/site developer thinks everyone is using Windows and IE. I am on a Linux box and none of my browsers (Opera, Mozilla, Netscape, Konquer and ?) work on their site with their Javascript. So I had to fire up a messy Windows XP Pro using IE. I hope I don't see the blue screen of death. Even using Windows there's problems on their site. Sometimes you click on "Details" and it returns details for something completely different. Not sure this would be a site I should shop at.

Question - When selecting the Receiver (GWS 6CH Naro), you have two options. One is for Verticle and other Horizontal. Which one do you recommend? The original post in this thread says "Make sure you get the kind with the servo pins coming from the side", but as far as I can see, all come from the side. My guess is the Horizontal version.
Your guess is correct!
boomer
www.boomerseflight.com
Old Oct 06, 2004, 12:05 PM
semper ventosus
Sasebo, Japan
Joined Jun 2004
991 Posts
Hello, I'm turning 1080 props on a 300c-d motor; is this alright or am I harming anything? ESC is blue bird 10-amp, battery is e-tec 7.4v 1200 lipo. It's flying fine from what I can tell but the more I read through this thread-the more I wonder how efficient my setup is. Thanks.
weather_man is offline Find More Posts by weather_man
Last edited by weather_man; Oct 06, 2004 at 12:26 PM.
Old Oct 06, 2004, 05:29 PM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
3,882 Posts
No harm done using a 1080, but you can get MUCH better performance with a 1260. Even though static amp draw goes up, flight times can actually go up too since you can fly at a lower throttle setting.
Closed Thread