Old Sep 27, 2004, 01:02 AM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris8105
10x8
You have the 300C-D. The big gear should have a D molded into the front.
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2004, 01:05 AM
Cincinnati Cin N.Knty, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
1,037 Posts
There is a D molded on the gear.
Thanks Boomer

Chris
chris8105 is offline Find More Posts by chris8105
Old Sep 27, 2004, 03:08 PM
USA, VT, Brandon
Joined Aug 2004
1,342 Posts
Why the 1080 sent with 350 motor then?

Boomer,

I see the prop size for D gearing on the 350 starts much smaller than the prop GWS sends with the plane. Any idea why they send a 1080 prop when their chart shows a smaller prop as the ideal size?
Steve
millerhill is offline Find More Posts by millerhill
Old Sep 27, 2004, 04:09 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerhill
Boomer,

I see the prop size for D gearing on the 350 starts much smaller than the prop GWS sends with the plane. Any idea why they send a 1080 prop when their chart shows a smaller prop as the ideal size?
Steve
Steve maybe they are trying to sell more motors! I suspect that when they changed motors the packing clowns just stuck in the new motors without any guidance as to required prop! Flying the 350 with the 1080 prop will sure assure a steady supply of customers for more 350 motors!
boomer
www.boomerseflight.com
Old Sep 28, 2004, 10:41 AM
Gravity sucks...
The Colony, TX
Joined Sep 2004
296 Posts
Boomerace,

Can you please repost the WWW link to the GWS site that has the chart listing the recommended props based on motor/gearbox?

I have searched and cannot find it again...
Tr0gTX is offline Find More Posts by Tr0gTX
Old Sep 28, 2004, 11:06 AM
Valid8r
Boston and Belgium
Joined Jul 2004
943 Posts
The link is...http://www.gws.com.tw/english/produc...em/eps300c.htm
Valid8r is offline Find More Posts by Valid8r
Old Sep 28, 2004, 11:30 AM
Joined Sep 2004
14 Posts
Guys,
Juz got my SS kit..

Here are my parts..

Stock GWS SS KIT with EDP400C-D motor
2 x Naro Pro Servos
ICS-480J Controller.
Is there a diff between the EPS400 and EDP400?

Wat props are best?
Can i still use the 1260 props?
Will they be suitable for the 400? or overkill?

I was thinking of using my 2S 1200mah Etecs..
Will there be any problem with current draw?
phiber is offline Find More Posts by phiber
Last edited by phiber; Sep 28, 2004 at 11:52 AM.
Old Sep 28, 2004, 01:23 PM
Gravity sucks...
The Colony, TX
Joined Sep 2004
296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valid8r
Awesome - thanks a lot Valid8r, I was getting very frustrated - will bookmark this time
Old Sep 28, 2004, 08:33 PM
Willis ISD 1937 SchoolBus
Would you believe Willis?
Joined Sep 2004
157 Posts
SS Props

As I am new, I have broke many props. So many in fact that i went to a composite prop and a prop saver. What a difference! My kit came with a 1180 prop. Went to a 1170 composit. May have to drop pitch some more as these props dont flex as much and seem to have more thrust. Running a 300 D box with 7 cell 1100 . Have yet to break a prop now.
WillisTx is offline Find More Posts by WillisTx
Old Sep 28, 2004, 11:56 PM
Slingerlands, NY
Joined Feb 2003
947 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phiber
Stock GWS SS KIT with EDP400C-D motor
Is there a diff between the EPS400 and EDP400?

Wat props are best?
Can i still use the 1260 props?
Will they be suitable for the 400? or overkill?

I was thinking of using my 2S 1200mah Etecs..
Will there be any problem with current draw?
phiber: The EDP designates a direct drive motor, but the SS comes with an EPS400C- D ratio gearbox. [By your "-D" description?] Charts show 1080 or 1147 props to be appropriate for this ratio, so... yes 1260 would be too much. However, the GWS site lists it coming with with an EPS [geared] 400C, yet lists a 7035 prop. [which would be direct drive] A very inappropriate system for a slow-flier like a SS. If you do not indeed have a gearbox, then a 7035 would be maximum prop size.

Current draw will be too much for older Etec 1200's, and just ok with the newest 10C Etec 1200's.

Happy Flying
MooseFlyR is offline Find More Posts by MooseFlyR
Last edited by MooseFlyR; Sep 29, 2004 at 12:16 AM.
Old Sep 29, 2004, 12:34 PM
Gravity sucks...
The Colony, TX
Joined Sep 2004
296 Posts
Too much battery - motor upgrade?

Two questions:

I am using 9.6V 1050mAH batts - I notice on the GWS motor pages for the 300C-D and 350C-D that 9.6V is a red "don't use" value - am I using too much batt? This is what the LHS gave me at buy time...

If I upgrade to the 400C-D, the page lists:
Good: 9047, 1080, 1147
Excellent: 9070, 1047

Assuming I pick from the "excellent" range, how does one choose which is best? I figure the 1147 or 1047 would be best since they are the biggest diameters, so I can throttle back and slow cruise, or push the 400 and haul.
Old Sep 29, 2004, 07:36 PM
Registered Disabuser
Norfolk, Massachussetts
Joined Jul 2003
738 Posts
trog, i can say that your 300 won't last long with that battery, but it won't faze your 400 at all. Hey, the props are only a couple of bucks each, just buy a couple in the range you think is right, and TRY them. Different props may work, but it is a question of your flying style (WOT, vertical all the time, cruising for flight time, speed....). So get a few of each and experiment!
Wertygrog is offline Find More Posts by Wertygrog
Old Oct 05, 2004, 05:29 PM
AMF
Chandler Williams, Arizona, United States
Joined Oct 2004
107 Posts
New Slow Stick User

Hi everyone!

Love this thread and I started reading way back in June of 2004. After about 600 or 700 post readings, I realize this was a much bigger deal than I originally thought, but I'm will to keep going.

First let me say that I have NEVER flown an RC and certainly have never built one. I am a virgin!

I recently purchased a Slow Stick (prior to finding this site) EPS-400C. So that's all I have in the box (plane, motor and prop). Obviously no servos, receiver or speed controller or batteries. I guess that means I'm open to many choices. Since I plan to start with the SS and progress to other planes later, I want to make the right choices now. The specifications for the SS is:

Power System - EPS-400C
Propeller - EP1180/EP7035
Sero - PICO/NARO/MINI
Receiver - R4PII/R6NII
Speed Controller - ICS-300/ICS-400 above

I'll be honest, I really don't know what all that means.

I also purchased a radio. It is a JR X-378 7-channel AIR/HELI/SAIL. So far that is all I have purchased. Why? Because I have to say, I'm a bit lost on what I should buy next. I realize I have to purchase a charger so I did all kinds of research to try and figure out the best way to go. Since I plan to continue with this hobby and actually progress, I decided I must purchase a good radio (which I think I have) and a good charger. So far I think I'm going to go with Great Planes Triton battery charger. After reading about the different battery options people are using here in this thread, I felt li-poly would be something I would use at least at some point in time so I want to be able to go that route.

So now my question is, where do I go from here? Since I will need to purchase components to get the plane off the ground the first time, I obviously need those things. But as I read here, I have many choices to consider. Sure it comes with a motor and prop, but I'm sure I'll need a replacement after my first crash (at least a prop). So if you were in my shoes, what would you recommend?

I've also read about the construction of the SS here. So far I haven't even opened the box. Instead for the past 4 days I've been reading this thread. I can see it will take a couple of weeks before I'm ready for building and my first flight. During my reading, I often come accross the 3 degrees right and 3 degrees down for thrust compensation. While I understand the concept and I've seen pictures that Boommer posted, I'm still not sure just how to go about it.

Most things I've read I understand. I'm sure I can beef up the LG, glue and tape things up as instructed, but some of the terminology I'm not quite familiar with. In fact, I think I read about 500 posts before I realized that LHS meant local hobby store. I thought it meant local hardware store (silly me). OK so I'm a slow learner, but I still can learn so lay it on me guys.

Thanks a million for a great resource. I'm sure it will be the best help I'll get on this hobby.
AMF is offline Find More Posts by AMF
Old Oct 05, 2004, 05:51 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
First question is the Motor in a gearbox or is there just the motor? If it's without Gearbox you will need the 7035 and the plane will not fly to your liking and if a Gearbox the 1180 is what you want'
boomer
www.boomerseflight.com
Old Oct 05, 2004, 06:59 PM
AMF
Chandler Williams, Arizona, United States
Joined Oct 2004
107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerace
First question is the Motor in a gearbox or is there just the motor? If it's without Gearbox you will need the 7035 and the plane will not fly to your liking and if a Gearbox the 1180 is what you want'
boomer
www.boomerseflight.com
No it does not have a Gearbox and the prop that came with it is the 7035. So I already made a mistake (see what a virgin I am?). Of course I only spent $20 for the plane on ebay so it's not like I'm crying too hard.

So I realize I can use the SS the way it is and purchase the other components for it, but I know I'll break this prop first time out or even burn up the motor. So I am trying to plan for this now instead of later. And if I purchase batteries, servos, receiver and speed controller for this setup, I may be stuck with this setup and be unhappy with the performance and no easy way to upgrade. You know what I mean?

So if all you had was a was the JR X-378 radio and SS without anything else, what motor, props, batteries, servos, receiver and speed controller would you purchase that you might be able to stick in some other plane if you desire? It doesn't matter to me a few bucks either way. I just want to do it right the first time instead of buying stuff I'll just throw away like this current motor and prop.

Thanks a million for your reply!
AMF is offline Find More Posts by AMF
Closed Thread