Closed Thread
Old Sep 22, 2004, 12:45 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerhill
What's the difference between a re-timed 280 and a stock 350? Can I expect higher thrust assuming the same prop? I've been using 1180's and the 280 runs pretty hot.
Sounds like way too much prop! Try dropping to a 10 X 4.7 and see if things aren't better. It will probably actually fly the plane better as you are really overworking that poor motor! 280 is a smaller motor. A speed 300 is the same as a 350 in size.
boomer
www.boomerseflight.com
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Last edited by boomerace; Sep 22, 2004 at 12:51 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2004, 12:16 PM
USA, VT, Brandon
Joined Aug 2004
1,342 Posts
Yeah...it pulled it pretty good, but definitely cooking the 280. I swapped out the 280 for the 350 last night and as expected, there was a big difference. I tried a 1080 and 1180 prop and I'm still having some problems evaluating which is better. It ran much cooler than my poor abused 280 with both props. This was probably my 5th flight since I learned to fly without crashing, so I'm still at the beginning of my RC experience. I was proud of myself last night when I came out of screaming dive followed by a dead stall about 10 feet off the ground and still recovered! I think I'm getting the hang of this thing....
millerhill is offline Find More Posts by millerhill
Old Sep 24, 2004, 12:43 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerhill
Yeah...it pulled it pretty good, but definitely cooking the 280. I swapped out the 280 for the 350 last night and as expected, there was a big difference. I tried a 1080 and 1180 prop and I'm still having some problems evaluating which is better. It ran much cooler than my poor abused 280 with both props. This was probably my 5th flight since I learned to fly without crashing, so I'm still at the beginning of my RC experience. I was proud of myself last night when I came out of screaming dive followed by a dead stall about 10 feet off the ground and still recovered! I think I'm getting the hang of this thing....
You didn't say what gear ratio you are using (D box??) but I would suggest you refer to the GWS tables on recommended props/voltage as I suspect you are again using way to big a prop and will also be cooking the 350! D box with 350 is max 8.4Volts with the 1080 and 1180 is out of spec at any voltage. Try www.gws.com.tw for tables. But hey it's your money buying motors!
boomer
www.boomerseflight.com
Old Sep 24, 2004, 02:28 PM
Cincinnati Cin N.Knty, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
1,037 Posts
Quick question here fellas, put a SS together a couple days ago, been taking it out the past couple days trying to fly it. There has been a little breeze in the air when i take it out, after it gets airborne about 3 feet in the air, the nose on it goes about staright up and i loose total control of the plane, I have checked the CG and it is dead on, running the 300 engine with an 1080 prop. If it is the breeze is there anything i can do so i can fly it other than when the air isnt moving?
chris8105 is offline Find More Posts by chris8105
Old Sep 24, 2004, 02:32 PM
<burp>
Brookhaven, Mississippi, United States
Joined Mar 2002
232 Posts
What ESC are you using? It could be an ESC problem if you lose total control of the plane.

You might try easing the throttle to about 1/2 to see if you still have control.

Let us know...
rmasonjr is offline Find More Posts by rmasonjr
Old Sep 24, 2004, 02:32 PM
Bubble Head SSN 762
Austin Bergstrom, Texas, United States
Joined Apr 2004
1,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris8105
Quick question here fellas, put a SS together a couple days ago, been taking it out the past couple days trying to fly it. There has been a little breeze in the air when i take it out, after it gets airborne about 3 feet in the air, the nose on it goes about staright up and i loose total control of the plane, I have checked the CG and it is dead on, running the 300 engine with an 1080 prop. If it is the breeze is there anything i can do so i can fly it other than when the air isnt moving?

You're CG may not be correct as you think...try moving the wing back some or placing the batt a little more forward, but not both at the same time. Ensure your control surfaces deflect correctly and have a slight bit of down angle/elevator programed in at neutral stick.

Lex
LexTalionis is offline Find More Posts by LexTalionis
Last edited by LexTalionis; Sep 24, 2004 at 03:54 PM.
Old Sep 24, 2004, 02:39 PM
Registered Disabuser
Norfolk, Massachussetts
Joined Jul 2003
738 Posts
you probably need some down-thrust--- you may just think that you loose control, but the motor is pulling the ss up into a stall, so your control surfaces are very ineffective. Try the down-thrust mod, or lotsa down elevator
Wertygrog is offline Find More Posts by Wertygrog
Old Sep 26, 2004, 09:45 PM
Gravity sucks...
The Colony, TX
Joined Sep 2004
296 Posts
Alternate CG location on the SS

Hi all,

Flew my new SS for the first time today... it was a bit too windy (5-10mph), but I did okay after a few minutes.

One question - the clerk at the LHS said to place the LE of the wing at 6" from the front vice the 4 1/2" the instructions recommend - "Trust me" he said - now my SS wants to nose up pretty bad; I attributed it to the wind, but now I wonder if it is caused by the CG being 1 1/2" futher back.

Also, WRT doing the 3 degree down and (right?) thrust angle mod, how do you actually do it? With a pair of pliers? I am afraid I am going to get the angle wrong or break my fuse.
Tr0gTX is offline Find More Posts by Tr0gTX
Old Sep 26, 2004, 09:54 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr0gTX
Hi all,

Flew my new SS for the first time today... it was a bit too windy (5-10mph), but I did okay after a few minutes.

One question - the clerk at the LHS said to place the LE of the wing at 6" from the front vice the 4 1/2" the instructions recommend - "Trust me" he said - now my SS wants to nose up pretty bad; I attributed it to the wind, but now I wonder if it is caused by the CG being 1 1/2" futher back.

Also, WRT doing the 3 degree down and (right?) thrust angle mod, how do you actually do it? With a pair of pliers? I am afraid I am going to get the angle wrong or break my fuse.
First of all he was talking about moving the entire wing back NOT the CG point! The CG (balancing point should be at 4-1/8" back from the front (leading edge of the wing) He didn't say to move the CG point. Most of my SS's balance with the front of the wing back 7" from the front of the motor but that has nothing to do with where you place your finger tips to balance the plane! It's a wonder you didn't crash and destroy the plane!
boomer
www.boomerseflight.com
Old Sep 26, 2004, 09:57 PM
Gravity sucks...
The Colony, TX
Joined Sep 2004
296 Posts
Alternate CG location on the SS

Duped - sorry
Tr0gTX is offline Find More Posts by Tr0gTX
Last edited by Tr0gTX; Sep 26, 2004 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Duplicate post
Old Sep 26, 2004, 10:03 PM
Joined Sep 2004
1,037 Posts
I haver a question here about which motor is on my slow stick.

Bought my slow stick about a week ago and I was trying to look on it and find out which motor I had on it. But the only numbers and letters on it are JCH19T.
Im not sure if that is some kind of code or what. Or if I could be able to tell because the 300 is considerably bigger the 100, I think thats the other stock motor that come on them. Thanks in advance.

Chris
Old Sep 26, 2004, 10:55 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,771 Posts
The motor description is on the outside of the Slow Stick box on the side panel.
Usta Bee is online now Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old Sep 26, 2004, 11:04 PM
Joined Sep 2004
1,037 Posts
Not on mine, neither box beside the motor sizes was checked.

Chris
Old Sep 26, 2004, 11:10 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris8105
Not on mine, neither box beside the motor sizes was checked.

Chris
Chris what propeller came with the plane should say on the front of the prop?
boomer
www.boomerseflight.com
Old Sep 26, 2004, 11:50 PM
Joined Sep 2004
1,037 Posts
10x8
Closed Thread