HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
Old Oct 30, 2004, 01:37 AM
Registered User
Usta Bee's Avatar
Joined Jul 2004
3,774 Posts
I have a 300D Slow Stick with 1260 prop and Kokam 2 cell 2000Mah Lipo, flight times on average at half throttle are around 28-34 minutes.
Usta Bee is offline Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2004, 03:25 AM
Registered User
Cracow, Poland
Joined Nov 2003
651 Posts
How you mount your pack on SS Esso Bee?
In front of wing?

Szymon
Szymon Bartus is offline Find More Posts by Szymon Bartus
Old Oct 30, 2004, 09:07 AM
Registered User
Cracow, Poland
Joined Nov 2003
651 Posts
I've just ordered Slow Stick! YAY!


Szymon
Szymon Bartus is offline Find More Posts by Szymon Bartus
Old Oct 30, 2004, 01:45 PM
Registered Disabuser
Wertygrog's Avatar
Norfolk, Massachussetts
Joined Jul 2003
738 Posts
jeez, about time! Post pics and construction details!
Wertygrog is offline Find More Posts by Wertygrog
Old Oct 31, 2004, 09:08 AM
AMF
Registered User
AMF's Avatar
Chandler Williams, Arizona, United States
Joined Oct 2004
107 Posts
Stopped The Glithing

In a previous post I mentioned I was having a terrible time with glitching. The receiver I was using was the GWS 6-Channel Naro Receiver. I tried everything from mounting it on the plastic battery brakets, fuse and even tried all kinds of wire routing configurations and it was impossibel to stop the glitching.

Friday I switched out the GWS for a Berg-5*DSP II Receiver. What a complete difference. No glitching what-so-ever and controls were smooth as silk. In fact, as a new RC'er I even forgot to put up my antenna (yes it was dumb) and the receiver still didn't glitch, but it did eventually lose the signal (quite far out). So you can probably tell that I'm sold on the Berg with DSP!

There is one problem I continue to have though. I find it very difficult to trim the plane. No problem up/down, but the plane pulls hard right. The fuse is bent (by the manufacture or shipping), but not terribly. The left wing however is cupped up more than the right which might be the reason for the right pull. I can't seem to get this cupping out of the wing. I've even tried a torch and heat the wing and bend about 150% of what I actually need. Once it cools, the cupping is right back (yes I hold the wing after heating until it fully cools). So my question is, does anyone have any ideas what I should try next? With all this left trim I can barely turn left. I guess if I was in a right turn race track it would be great! hahaha

Oh yeah... I should mention that I did add the brass tubing and used an epoxy bead to the dihedral fiberglas rods. And... you're going to love this, I smacked right into a light pole during flight and it didn't do any damage at all. All it did was spin the plane around and the plane landing right on the LG. I wish I had video of that one.

Thanks,
Tony
AMF is offline Find More Posts by AMF
Old Oct 31, 2004, 10:48 AM
Been There! Done That!
boomerace's Avatar
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Tony,
Sight down the fuse from the rear. If it is bent it should be to the right looking from the rear and not over 3 or so degrees. Any bend to the left or up is a killer!
boomer
www.boomerseflight.com
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Oct 31, 2004, 11:23 AM
AMF
Registered User
AMF's Avatar
Chandler Williams, Arizona, United States
Joined Oct 2004
107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerace
Tony,
Sight down the fuse from the rear. If it is bent it should be to the right looking from the rear and not over 3 or so degrees. Any bend to the left or up is a killer!
boomer
www.boomerseflight.com
Hi Boomer,

Yes I did look down the fuse and I made sure the bend was to the right. In fact the bend was a little down as well. Can't really tell the degree of bend, but it doesn't seem like a whole lot. I think most of my problem is with the wing. While looking from the front of the plane, the right wing will show more of the underside of the wing than it does on the left. So my guess is that more air is giving lift to this side which in turn would make the plane turn right. Is that right? I just can't seem to get both sides equal in this respect. For the most part, both sides of the wing do lay fairly even on both sides when set on a table.

What I just did was add a piece of tail foam under the rear of the wing mount. Maybe this will help. I'll be heading out to the park in about 30 minutes to give it a try. Today there is zero wind so I should get a very good trim and I'll let you know.

Thanks Boomer,
Tony
AMF is offline Find More Posts by AMF
Old Oct 31, 2004, 11:47 AM
Been There! Done That!
boomerace's Avatar
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMF
Hi Boomer,

Yes I did look down the fuse and I made sure the bend was to the right. In fact the bend was a little down as well. Can't really tell the degree of bend, but it doesn't seem like a whole lot. I think most of my problem is with the wing. While looking from the front of the plane, the right wing will show more of the underside of the wing than it does on the left. So my guess is that more air is giving lift to this side which in turn would make the plane turn right. Is that right? I just can't seem to get both sides equal in this respect. For the most part, both sides of the wing do lay fairly even on both sides when set on a table.

What I just did was add a piece of tail foam under the rear of the wing mount. Maybe this will help. I'll be heading out to the park in about 30 minutes to give it a try. Today there is zero wind so I should get a very good trim and I'll let you know.

Thanks Boomer,
Tony
Yes that would do it as some of the early planes used wing warping to make their turns as it acts as a big aileron. I have had luck weighting the wing with an extreme twist in the other direction and then heating the entire top of the wing on that side and letting it cool.
boomer
www.boomerseflight.com
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Oct 31, 2004, 03:10 PM
AMF
Registered User
AMF's Avatar
Chandler Williams, Arizona, United States
Joined Oct 2004
107 Posts
Just returned from flying the SS. The plane trimmed out beautiful this time at almost zero trim. The plane flew straight, level and had no problem making turns. In fact one of the SS old timers said it was one of the best stock SS he has flown.

So it looks like I've got all the bugs worked out. In my case it required a better receiver (Berg) and adding some foam under the rear wing support. All other modifications shown at the top of this thread were also done. However those thinking about the thrust mod should first consider that their fuse may already have enough bend to more than make up for this modification. Just make sure you point the bend right and down before building.

Thanks everyone here for the help and support. Without you guys and your experience, I don't think I would have attempted it. Now I can start enjoying the SS.

Tony
AMF is offline Find More Posts by AMF
Old Oct 31, 2004, 03:37 PM
Registered User
victoria,B.C.
Joined Mar 2004
70 Posts
Playing with a new airbrush,want to paint up the ss first.Should I give the wing a lite sand or just paint as is.I dont know if "cutting"the gloss finish might weaken it.
acrilic paint.
keet is offline Find More Posts by keet
Old Oct 31, 2004, 09:37 PM
Rus
Light and variable...
Rus's Avatar
Onalaska, TX
Joined Jul 2004
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMF
The left wing however is cupped up more than the right which might be the reason for the right pull. I can't seem to get this cupping out of the wing. I've even tried a torch and heat the wing and bend about 150% of what I actually need. Once it cools, the cupping is right back (yes I hold the wing after heating until it fully cools).
I had the exact same problem and couldn't get the twist out no matter how long or hot I heated it. I finally turned the wing upside down, and using a weight and a wedge, I twisted the wing in the opposite direction about 10% more than needed to make it flat. I then ran a piece of 2" tape on the underside of the wing, diagonally from the leading edge wingtip to the other end of the trailing edge. When I released the weight and the wedge, the wing was perfectly flat - and it stayed that way.
Rus is offline Find More Posts by Rus
Old Oct 31, 2004, 11:07 PM
Registered User
Usta Bee's Avatar
Joined Jul 2004
3,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Szymon Bartus
How you mount your pack on SS Esso Bee?
In front of wing?

Szymon
I mounted the battery underneath the fuselage right below the wing. I put industrial strength velcro 1cm wide along the fuselage bottom, and a same width strip on the battery pack right down the middle of it. I used two velcro straps to hold the battery onto the fuselage, i also put a small strip of velcro on top of the fuselage to hold the straps from moving or falling off. On the bottom of the battery at each end I put velcro running from side to side so the straps would have something to hold onto.

These are the velcro straps:
Usta Bee is offline Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old Nov 01, 2004, 06:00 PM
Registered User
millerhill's Avatar
USA, VT, Brandon
Joined Aug 2004
1,342 Posts
Painting

Yeah, I would scuff it up a bit. Maybe use scotchbrite?

The coating on the wing is part of its strength, so you should be careful if you sand it.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by keet
Playing with a new airbrush,want to paint up the ss first.Should I give the wing a lite sand or just paint as is.I dont know if "cutting"the gloss finish might weaken it.
acrilic paint.
millerhill is offline Find More Posts by millerhill
Old Nov 02, 2004, 03:29 AM
Registered User
victoria,B.C.
Joined Mar 2004
70 Posts
going to try some 3 or 400 grit real lightly,just so i can say i did.
keet is offline Find More Posts by keet
Old Nov 02, 2004, 08:04 AM
Registered User
Cracow, Poland
Joined Nov 2003
651 Posts
Is it required in your SS to put the wing far away from motor, like in many SSs with light packs, Esso Bee?

Szymon
Szymon Bartus is offline Find More Posts by Szymon Bartus
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Ultimate Slow Stick Help Thread Part 7 boomerace Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 517 Apr 27, 2005 01:04 PM
The Ultimate Slow Stick Help Thread - Part 5 boomerace Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 793 Sep 13, 2004 09:01 AM
The Ultimate Slow Stick Help Thread - Part 4 Martin Hunter Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 824 May 31, 2004 02:00 AM
The Ultimate Slow Stick Help Thread - Part 3 Martin Hunter Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 639 Apr 11, 2004 12:17 PM
The Ultimate Slow Stick Help Thread - Part 2 Martin Hunter Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 565 Feb 17, 2004 11:35 AM