991 Posts
Thanks Ron, found the plastic parts.
weather_man is offline Find More Posts by weather_man
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2004, 09:01 AM
Crashing....and loving it
Joined Sep 2004
9 Posts
Having lots of fun learning to fly my SS. When the battery dies (or I cut power) the plane noses down and will not glide without up elevator. Is this a CG issue? BTW, I have no down or right thrust and am trimmed to fly straight and level under power. Also, has anyone tried these batteries?
Chuck H is offline Find More Posts by Chuck H
Old Oct 19, 2004, 09:01 AM
Cracow, Poland
Joined Nov 2003
651 Posts
Hello,

I have got two reciervers:
-micro recierver Graupner's XP 8 FM, more data here:
http://www.shop.graupner.de/webapp/c...&show_cat=5564
-standart recierver Jeti's REX 7:
http://www.jetimodel.cz/eng/hlavnien.htm

Which would be better to Slow Stick?

Szymon
Szymon Bartus is offline Find More Posts by Szymon Bartus
Old Oct 19, 2004, 09:26 AM
Sayre,PA
Joined Sep 2002
1,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck H
Hav... When the battery dies (or I cut power) the plane noses down and will not glide without up elevator. Is this a CG issue? BTW, I have no down or right thrust and am trimmed to fly straight and level under power. ...[/URL]?
It's because you have some down trim in the SS to keep it flying level under power. This is why the simple modification of adding a little down thrust makes the SS more pleasurable to fly.
jimsp is offline Find More Posts by jimsp
Old Oct 19, 2004, 11:50 AM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Szymon Bartus
Hello,

I have got two reciervers:
-micro recierver Graupner's XP 8 FM, more data here:
http://www.shop.graupner.de/webapp/c...&show_cat=5564
-standart recierver Jeti's REX 7:
http://www.jetimodel.cz/eng/hlavnien.htm

Which would be better to Slow Stick?

Szymon
It really doesn't matter as the Slow Stick should fly fine with either. The Slow Stick doesn't mind a little extra weight.
boomer
www.boomerseflight.com
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Oct 19, 2004, 12:00 PM
USA, VT, Brandon
Joined Aug 2004
1,342 Posts
8cell nicad's ok?.....not...

Stick with NiMH batteries. They're about half the weight with same power and don't have "memory" like Nicads. Which means you can "top off" a NiMH battery any time without screwing up the battery. You can't do that with a NiCad. You have to discharge completely, then re-charge.

This guy's contention that this is ideal for the slow stick is IMHO not quite accurate. It will work fine, don't get me wront, just not as well as NiMH's in an 8 cell stick.

My preference is the 7 or 8 cell Kan 1050's. 7 if you're using the 350 motor. 8 if you're using the 400 or brushless.

I'm still a puss, so haven't ventured into lipo's.
Quote:
Having lots of fun learning to fly my SS. When the battery dies (or I cut power) the plane noses down and will not glide without up elevator. Is this a CG issue? BTW, I have no down or right thrust and am trimmed to fly straight and level under power. Also, has anyone tried these batteries?
millerhill is offline Find More Posts by millerhill
Old Oct 19, 2004, 12:23 PM
AMF
Chandler Williams, Arizona, United States
Joined Oct 2004
107 Posts
CG is measured from ?

Since I was unable to test fly my SS Sunday, I decided to complete the final real LG upgrade by going with a little larger music wire than the original. This did indeed stiffen the LG, but it still seems to have enough flex to provide a soft landing.

Now that everything is completed based on all the suggested modifications found here, I have a question about the CG measurement. The instructions and Boomer state 4 1/8" from the LE of the wing. Do I measure from the foam or from the fiberglass rods? These rods are about 1/8" which isn't much, but I thought I would ask to be sure.

Thanks!
Tony
AMF is offline Find More Posts by AMF
Old Oct 19, 2004, 12:24 PM
Crashing....and loving it
Joined Sep 2004
9 Posts
jimsp, that makes sense. I think I also had to trim rudder as well. Guess I can't put off that thrust mod any longer!

Thanks millerhill for the advice. I currently have a 350 and am using 6-cell GWS 300 MAH batteries and a 7-cell 650 MAH from cheap battery packs. I get about 5-6 minute flights with both. Is this right? I think it may be the charger - the one I have is a little DC unit with a 30-minute dial timer.
Chuck H is offline Find More Posts by Chuck H
Old Oct 19, 2004, 12:32 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMF
Since I was unable to test fly my SS Sunday, I decided to complete the final real LG upgrade by going with a little larger music wire than the original. This did indeed stiffen the LG, but it still seems to have enough flex to provide a soft landing.

Now that everything is completed based on all the suggested modifications found here, I have a question about the CG measurement. The instructions and Boomer state 4 1/8" from the LE of the wing. Do I measure from the foam or from the fiberglass rods? These rods are about 1/8" which isn't much, but I thought I would ask to be sure.

Thanks!
Tony
Rods! Although it really wouldn't matter.
boomer
www.boomerseflight.com
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Oct 19, 2004, 12:57 PM
USA, VT, Brandon
Joined Aug 2004
1,342 Posts
Battery

Quote:
jimsp, that makes sense. I think I also had to trim rudder as well. Guess I can't put off that thrust mod any longer!

Thanks millerhill for the advice. I currently have a 350 and am using 6-cell GWS 300 MAH batteries and a 7-cell 650 MAH from cheap battery packs. I get about 5-6 minute flights with both. Is this right? I think it may be the charger - the one I have is a little DC unit with a 30-minute dial timer.
That sounds about right. The 350 is going to suck the life out of a 650MAH battery pretty fast due to the amperage draw. You will almost double flight time going to 7 cell Kan 2/3A 1050's (I think that's right )
millerhill is offline Find More Posts by millerhill
Old Oct 19, 2004, 02:04 PM
AMF
Chandler Williams, Arizona, United States
Joined Oct 2004
107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerace
Rods! Although it really wouldn't matter.
boomer
www.boomerseflight.com
Thanks Boomer. I thought it wouldn't matter a great deal one way or the other, but I thought I would ask.

Thanks again,
Tony
AMF is offline Find More Posts by AMF
Old Oct 23, 2004, 06:31 AM
semper ventosus
Sasebo, Japan
Joined Jun 2004
991 Posts
Does anyone have pictures of working ailerons on the SS?
weather_man is offline Find More Posts by weather_man
Old Oct 23, 2004, 06:56 AM
Cracow, Poland
Joined Nov 2003
651 Posts
And another question:

1. Is it worth to order SG version + EPS 350C + gear box + propeller + landing gear?
It's more expensive than usuall kit (about 8$).
I've read here, that 350 is better than 300.

2. Is it worth to order spare fuse? (about 5$). I will fly with light LiPos (lightly over 2000mAh 2S).

3. And how many spare parts I should get?
My present parts shopping list:
- props (4 1180 and 1 or 2 1260)
- shafts (1-2)
- parts D frame (1)
- shell from GB (1 or 2)
- fuse (1 or no spare fuse)
- spinner (1 or no spinner)

4. What could happened when I didn't used prop-saver?
Is it worth price of additional shaft and propsaver? (7$)

5. Will M3 screw, nut and washer be good to mount motor by it?

PS: 66 pages of ultimate help thread read by me!

Szymon
Last edited by Szymon Bartus; Oct 23, 2004 at 06:59 AM.
Old Oct 23, 2004, 10:59 AM
Joined Jul 2004
3,765 Posts
Don't waste your time with 1180 props, get the 1260 instead for replacements (more thrust). Get at least one extra gearbox shaft, they bend easily on noseover landings especially in taller grass. Leave the spinner off, I don't think I've ever seen a picture on here where somebody had the spinner on their plane, it doesn't really save the gearbox shaft on noseovers. Maybe have a spare fuselage, if you don't have a local hobbyshop it would be better to have it and not need it, instead of waiting a week to order a new one. You would need to hit pretty hard to break it though.

If you don't use a propsaver you have a higher chance of the prop breaking on nose landings, and you'll be more likely to bend the gearbox shaft. I used one of the tail mount screws to hold the gearbox to the frame, I glued the tail directly to the fuse. You can make the tail stronger by putting tape on the leading edges of the horizontal and verticle fin before you mount them on the plane, this will make them less likely to break or bend if the plane hits something with it's tail.
Usta Bee is online now Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old Oct 23, 2004, 03:01 PM
Cracow, Poland
Joined Nov 2003
651 Posts
Thanks Esso Bee. I also should add, that I'm not complete noob, I'm familiar with flying a little. But spare parts could help whenever.

Szymon
Closed Thread