Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 13, 2004, 06:24 AM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Apr 2004
4,930 Posts
Are there any palm sized shaft driven tail helis?

Wondering if MIA made any shaft driven tail palm sized helis, or smaller than the lets say a hummingbird.
EddieNewYork is offline Find More Posts by EddieNewYork
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2004, 11:02 AM
I never wrote this title!
Joined Aug 2004
61 Posts
I have seen hummingbirds with it on :P but you know that .

I am new here... but from what I can tell, the use of a motor instead of a shaft is to save wieght.

If its main motor driven, you need a servo to adjust blade pitch. And the servo and blade design adds wieght and bulk.

If its shaft driven by its own motor, then it may be easily doable. But of caurse the shaft adds wieght.

I would like to see how a shaft driven pitch controlled sub-micro heli performs though.
TechyBen is offline Find More Posts by TechyBen
Old Sep 13, 2004, 01:41 PM
Permanently banned
Mesa, Arizona, USA
Joined Jul 2000
2,976 Posts
here are some early Collective Tail Pitch prototypes for a belt drives. These are all Bumble Bee Size. I started these for the House FLY Sub-Micro Kits but too many little parts made me decide to stick with the simpler small tail motor with gear reduction.
Mario is offline Find More Posts by Mario
Last edited by Mario; Sep 13, 2004 at 02:03 PM.
Old Sep 13, 2004, 02:01 PM
Permanently banned
Mesa, Arizona, USA
Joined Jul 2000
2,976 Posts
Some early shaft driven mechanics for Sub-Micro and Palm-Size helis.
As you can see, the parts start to get very tiny and difficult to work with.
They also require considerably higher precision in manufacturing and these can send costs skyrocketing. Reason why the tail motor is preferable.

The gears in the picture below are high precision and the gear boxes require them to be near perfect to the nearest 0.0005" for proper mesh. When you work with this type of tolerance, things can get a bit tedious. However, with all precision parts in place and patient setup, a real 3D Palm-Size heli can be realized with all the functions of nitro 3D helis.

Currently there is no one-way bearing, for instance, for a Palm Size heli, however, I have managed to make a 1 way bearing with bits and pieces from
some of my molded parts an some jewel bearings.
Last edited by Mario; Sep 13, 2004 at 03:10 PM.
Old Sep 13, 2004, 02:11 PM
Joined Jun 2004
170 Posts
Com on Mario stop teasing and bring these upgrades out already
Taigerr2000 is offline Find More Posts by Taigerr2000
Old Sep 13, 2004, 02:33 PM
Permanently banned
Mesa, Arizona, USA
Joined Jul 2000
2,976 Posts
Here is another picture this one is old now it came from this link
Old Sep 13, 2004, 03:38 PM
Joined Jun 2004
170 Posts
Please stop Mario my pc is covered in drool!!
Old Sep 14, 2004, 01:17 AM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Apr 2004
4,930 Posts
hm... definitely would be nice to see these come to production. Just curious becuase I plan on building a sub-micro hornet "Gnat" (is what they call it over at hornet-heli.com) soon, but thought maybe MIA had one in the works.

Good stuff Mario, thanks for the pics and comments.
Old Sep 14, 2004, 12:19 PM
Permanently banned
Mesa, Arizona, USA
Joined Jul 2000
2,976 Posts
YW Eddie,

I also built a cut down Hornet, Piccolo, Hummingbird but the weight issue is always there and it got a little boring seeing the same design only reduced in size. It is fun though.

I purposely made the BB different so to have a refreshing new original option, with a lower weight, higher strength and durability beyond the basic micro design. This is more apparent to those that have a BB and have had the chance to try out the larger micros, including the cut down ones.
Old Sep 14, 2004, 06:13 PM
Joined Jun 2004
170 Posts
Mario I take it if you were to bring out a tail drive (either belt or shaft) then we'd be looking at a BB V III really as I see no space for this addition on the standard BB VII. I must say even if this was so, CP on its own would still be a nice upgrade on the V II..
Old Sep 15, 2004, 06:31 AM
I never wrote this title!
Joined Aug 2004
61 Posts
If a 3rd servo fits onto the BB as it is (with slight modding) could you not use that extra servo for tail control?

You would need a massive pole to reach the tail, but it could work...

No doubt Mario has a concept in the making??? (hint hint)
TechyBen is offline Find More Posts by TechyBen
Old Sep 15, 2004, 07:48 AM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Apr 2004
4,930 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario
YW Eddie,

I also built a cut down Hornet, Piccolo, Hummingbird but the weight issue is always there and it got a little boring seeing the same design only reduced in size. It is fun though.

I purposely made the BB different so to have a refreshing new original option, with a lower weight, higher strength and durability beyond the basic micro design. This is more apparent to those that have a BB and have had the chance to try out the larger micros, including the cut down ones.
I understand what you mean. I'm just getting tired of my FP HB is all, with the constant dropping in alttitude when executing a piro (most likely due to amp draw), the difference in turning rates, and having to purchase an extra pheonix 10s for every heli of this type (running a brushless tr).