Asti, Italy
Joined Apr 2004
340 Posts
Discussion
Multiplex Twin Star, other electric aileron trainers - Part 2

You can find the first part of this thread here:

Multiplex Twin Star, other electric aileron trainers
Bad Attitude is offline Find More Posts by Bad Attitude
Last edited by Bad Attitude; Dec 24, 2005 at 02:17 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2004, 02:13 PM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,166 Posts
Thanks Tim and Piero!

Zoomzoom Tower hobbies shows the Twin Star in stock for $87.99.
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Old Sep 13, 2004, 02:35 PM
Joined Jul 2002
1,532 Posts
Thanks TT - just curious.
Zoomzoom is offline Find More Posts by Zoomzoom
Old Sep 18, 2004, 05:14 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Jun 2003
1,224 Posts
OK, I need some help here.

I have just got to glueing the tail on and I have a problem.

When I line up the front of the horiz. stabiliser with the mark on the fuselage the control horn and EZ connector are not 'sticking out' beyond the fuselage. Because my fuselage is slightly 'bent' at the tip of the tail they won't go into the channel either.

So:

- Is my fuselage too long and just needs a bit of adjustment?
- Is the stabiliser and EZ connector supposed to be hidden in the channel - if so how do you do up the EZ connector onto the control rod?
- Can anyone post a details pic of what the tail looks like on their TS?

I may have missed something here because the rest of the plane looks like it fits together perfectly.

Thanks
Tim
TugBoat is offline Find More Posts by TugBoat
Old Sep 18, 2004, 10:27 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Feb 2004
2,110 Posts
Make sure you sit the stab down properly, of course, but just trim whatever parts of the tail you need to make it all fit - that far back it's all just cosmetic. 8)

I had to lengthen the notch on the left side to get enough down elevator.

= Mike
DrZiplok is offline Find More Posts by DrZiplok
Old Sep 25, 2004, 05:01 PM
5,200 Led Lighted Bike-Bob P.
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,789 Posts
HelloTS Fliers,
I am about to fly my Twin Star and need some info on a CG measurement. Can some one give me the measurement for this CG? I have 8 Nihm 2100 Mah and it is a heavy pack. I don't think that it will be a problem to fly it as it will be nose heavy with the Nimhs. . I also have LiPoly's 2300Mah 11.1 volts and it is maybe 1/2 the weight of the Nihms. It appears to be about even on my CG estimate. I don't want try it until I get a more accurate measure. The power is 2 Himax 2015-4100's 2 Castle 10's. Gear is "C" GWS gear and it has great thrust with 9X 4.7's. It has also good thrust with 10X 4.7's. I will see when it flies I guess.
**Neons**
**neons** is online now Find More Posts by **neons**
Old Sep 25, 2004, 10:52 PM
sensitive artsy type
Joined Feb 2004
3,166 Posts
Are you asking for the stock CG? Don't know why it would change.
Old Sep 25, 2004, 11:03 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,789 Posts
Treetop,
Thanks. This diagram is exactly what I needed. I bought the plane used without the instructions booklet. I had it ready to fly with the 400 brush motors and said the heck with it. I ripped all the power system out and went brushless. No messing around with wimpy power.
**Neons**
Old Sep 25, 2004, 11:06 PM
sensitive artsy type
Joined Feb 2004
3,166 Posts
Glad to help neons, sounds like it should fly well. Flight reports are welcomed here! tt
Old Sep 26, 2004, 06:24 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Jun 2003
1,224 Posts
Neons:

You can find the Twin Star manual on the Multiplex web system. Useful to have the whole thing...

http://www.multiplex-rc.de/cms/vorsc...winstar_gb.pdf

Tim
TugBoat is offline Find More Posts by TugBoat
Old Sep 26, 2004, 12:42 PM
elaporaholic
Staffordshire, England
Joined Aug 2004
230 Posts
I flew mine with a pair of the multiplex-cargo gearbox/prop upgrades on today. They sound a lot better than the horrible mini olympus boxes. Although it was a bit windy the takes offs were much better. ROG was easy from our grass strip on 7cells, loops were ok but rolls needed a bit of a dive to pickup speed before executing. Taxing was impossible in the wind as soon as the Ts turned downwind it would trip up. I am happy with this setup now so I can make a better job painting it now.

Sooty
Sooty100 is offline Find More Posts by Sooty100
Old Sep 27, 2004, 12:57 AM
sensitive artsy type
Joined Feb 2004
3,166 Posts
Sooty, thanks for the flying report. could we see a picture of your under carriage? Also, do you find 7 cells adequate, and have you tried 8 for comparison? Thanks tt.
Old Sep 27, 2004, 07:35 AM
elaporaholic
Staffordshire, England
Joined Aug 2004
230 Posts
Ok TT here goes,

Thanks again to Bill Glover for his article on his method, he explained very clearly how to construct his neat plugin landing gear, and I am very happy with mine. This should be the link to his thread as a reminder :-

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3&page=1&pp=15

First photo includes the sawblade slot for the soldered tinplate and main square tube section to which Bill refered. I included a closeup of how the main wire legs are inserted and soldered into the leg tube.
Old Sep 27, 2004, 07:56 AM
elaporaholic
Staffordshire, England
Joined Aug 2004
230 Posts
Here is the complete model. Please no cracks about the paint job you can see Im working on it
The grass at our strip is not as short as in this photo and 7cells were no problem for ROG. I did also try it on 8cell cp1700s and although it was more spritely on 8cells, enabling loops from level flight and cross wind take offs (just wanted to try it) the difference between 7/8cells with the gears was not as marked as it was when I was using direct drive on the standard gunther props. It was windy though in fact I had a bit of fun hovering and flying backwards in the wind on low throttle
Old Sep 27, 2004, 02:13 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,789 Posts
I was about to fly my Twin Star today. Before I left I checked the CG balance according to Treetops posted diagram.
I used the CG on the bottom stick spar that goes over the motor wires. This is the first one 75mm back from the leading edge. With my 8 cell Nimh 2100 pack which weighs 10.5 oz it was about level but slightly favored tail heavy. This is all the way forward with this pack. I could maybe have moved it forward another 1/2 inch with some light trimming of the foam. I then put in my Lipoly 2050Mah pack and it went badly tail heavy. This pack weighs just over 5 oz. and was as far forward as it would fit without cutting.
I decide to unbolt the wing and move it back to again check the balance. I had to move it back almost 1 inch (25.5mm). So I built new plywood wing mount platforms move it 1 inch back. This is a tough call. I decided to do this because at the time the Twin Star came to production there was not much Lipoly battery technology and not much use of the lighter brushless motors around. The 2050 Lipoly packs I have are one half the weight of the Nimhs I have here. That is 5 oz in weight. It is the difference of having to fly a heavy weight or a slim lighter weight. My Lithiums have more potent thrust also than the Nimhs. So I dove in and moved the wing back. Even with it back 1 inch I may have to add 1oz more weight to the nose. I will also have to make a foam filler block between the cockpit and he leading edge.
**Neons**
Closed Thread