HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 09, 2001, 03:36 AM
NaTaLiEs aLL mInE
Springfield, Queensland, Australia
Joined Aug 2001
170 Posts
pico cub

anyone recommed the pico cub? flight performance/duration.? suitable for a primary trainer? please don't say 'get a zagi or firebird etc. i just wanna know about the cub.

thanks

the PHREAK http://wsinfo.topcities.com
phreak is offline Find More Posts by phreak
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2001, 03:48 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,760 Posts
Hi,
The Multiplex Pico Cub is a great little model. Pretty easy to fly, and if braced as per instructions, is mildly aerobatic. Depending on how she's flown duration can be anything up to 10 minutes.
PETERRAKE is online now Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Sep 09, 2001, 07:27 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,650 Posts
Hi there

Try this thread for size- but be ready for plenty of reading. Good luck with the Pico Cub- the best training model around IMHO (we don't got no T-52s over here BTW before anyone complains )http://www.ezonemag.com/disc/Forum2/HTML/000699.html

cheers

Brian

leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Sep 10, 2001, 06:25 AM
Madrid, Spain
Joined Feb 2001
57 Posts
I'm very happy with my Pico Cub. It's easy to build, and easy to fly.
I use a 7 cell pack (1200 mAh, AA) and all up weight is 660 grams (23.3 oz). I have to enlarge the battery hole because of the size of this pack.
I have tested some props. Standard prop is a Gunther 4.9x4.3 wich performs quite good. MAS 5.5x4.5 is not as good due to the wing profile. Currently I use a Robbe folding 6x3.5, with lower speed and very good climb rate.
Average flights are about 15 minutes but can be longer based on some thermals.
Kike is offline Find More Posts by Kike
Old Sep 13, 2001, 05:20 PM
Happy Days
United Kingdom, High Wycombe
Joined Mar 2001
4,231 Posts
Well worth getting. After reading some very long treads I've made the alterations to my brother-in-laws first plane , and it flies great. Try it with a 3:1 gear box on a 9 x 5 prop, it'l double your air time (plus on eight 500AR cells it sure can motor). After three short sessions he can fly it about and land (boreing being a spectator)
One thing to do is upgrade the undercarrage.
mudlark is offline Find More Posts by mudlark
Old Sep 13, 2001, 05:44 PM
NaTaLiEs aLL mInE
Joined Aug 2001
170 Posts
i've flown it on the FMS sim, and also found it easy. i've only landed a real plane once before, and that landing was alright. it was a motor glider and cos they don't have wheels you can land them anywhere. i was surprised when i landed the pico cub on the simulator cos it was almost perfect. impossible. is it the sim thats being too easy on me or does the plane simply fly like that?

the PHREAK
Old Sep 14, 2001, 08:11 AM
Colchester ,England
Joined Jul 2001
3 Posts
Hi Phreak

I'm a really big fan of the Pico Cub , probably the most forgiving plane in the world! The undercarriage is weak , but I just bend mine straight after a less than perfect landing and it's ready to go again. Totally agree with Peter about the wing brace if your going to throw it around (deliberately or otherwise !)
Having flown the real thing lots before the one on FMS I was stunned how accurate the sim was . Felt just like the real thing particularly on 3/4 throttle. My Cub runs on 8 cells with standard prop and motor (no g/box).
Only one downside is that flying in winds over 10-15 mph can be a challenge , which is a bit frustrating ,specially as we are getting into the windy autumn season here. A gearbox +more efficient prop would help .
I trust the weather in Ipswich,Queensland is better than here in Ipswich,Suffolk where I am right now!

Buy one ...you'll love it!

Tony

Watt4 is offline Find More Posts by Watt4
Old Sep 14, 2001, 04:54 PM
Happy Days
Joined Mar 2001
4,231 Posts
Watt 4 get the g'box you will be pleasently suprized. Better climb rate and much longer (50%) flights.
Phreak It's easier to land in real life (you can see the ground). Just bring it into wind and let gravity do the rest. If your too short just give a bit of power and it'll climb on it's own.
Old Sep 14, 2001, 09:05 PM
NaTaLiEs aLL mInE
Joined Aug 2001
170 Posts
watt 4, you'd be surprised how windy it can get on a dry sunny day.

the PHREAK
Old Sep 14, 2001, 10:41 PM
WattNaught
Sacramento, CA, USA
Joined Aug 2000
280 Posts
Ailerons Too!

When you feel you'd like to move up to an aileron ship, don't. Just add them to the Cub. You can buy the wing kit for about $18 from Multiplex, sand out most of the dihedral, cut some ailerons and stiffen them with 1/8 inch fiberglass rod (TAP Plastics), add a 50 or 55 servo and some .032" Sullivan cables and your ready to roll.

One thing, though, you will have to use both thumbs (rudder and ailerons) or a computer radio to combat adverse yaw -- just like the real Cubby.

BTW, I'm using an Aeronaut 1:86 gearbox, APC 9x6 SLOWFLIER prop, and eight AP-1000 Nimh cell packs (same size as 600AEs), though they have a little less voltage.

I bored a 1 inch cooling hole from the motor mount to the battery bay for motor cooling and it flies just fine.

Happy Landings
R. Green is offline Find More Posts by R. Green
Old Sep 15, 2001, 07:11 AM
NaTaLiEs aLL mInE
Joined Aug 2001
170 Posts
what would be the flight time/flight performance of a 7 cell 200mah pack?

the PHREAK
Old Sep 15, 2001, 08:44 AM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Kike
Sorry, I donīt know why my last post appears 3 times.
Kike,
You can remove messages by using Edit and checking the Delete box.
I'm not trying to be the post police, I just thought you might like to know.
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Sep 16, 2001, 05:47 AM
Destroyer of Cell's!!!
matfield,tonbridge, kent,england
Joined May 2001
363 Posts
well i had one which ended up bin-bagged on its first flight i found it way two light they fly well in no wind at all but the slightest breeze can make them a handfull .If you live in an area where you don't get much wind knock yourself out go get yourself a pico-cub .i would personally go for something a bit heavier
best of luck
nasa_steve
nasa_steve is offline Find More Posts by nasa_steve
Old Sep 16, 2001, 08:49 AM
Happy Days
Joined Mar 2001
4,231 Posts
PHREAK ...... PERFORMANCE WILL BE BETTER BECAUSE OF THE LOWER WEIGHT BUT IT'LL PROBABLY FLY FOR 4 MINUTES IF YOUR LUCKY.
Old Sep 17, 2001, 03:48 AM
Madrid, Spain
Joined Feb 2001
57 Posts
Basketcase,
I've been looking for a detele button ... at the bottom of the page!
I've deleted them.

Thanks,
Kike.
Kike is offline Find More Posts by Kike