HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 12, 2004, 01:27 PM
Near Muncie, IN.
Joined Aug 2004
152 Posts
Orca build going well....

Hi again all, I posted a while back that I was preparing to build Pat Tritle's Orca. I'm a first time builder and so far have made very good progress. Thanks to Pat's detailed plans which make everything clear as a bell. Hopefully my attatchments will work and I can share the build-up I have so far. Ive been working on the Orca for about 2-3 weeks now.
catfishchaser is offline Find More Posts by catfishchaser
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2004, 11:53 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,536 Posts
One thing Mike didn't mention is that he planked the flying bridge with 1/16 X 1/4 planks rather than scribing the sheet balsa as originally designed. A very nice touch, and pretty inovative thinking -- especially for a first timer!
PAT
P. Tritle is offline Find More Posts by P. Tritle
Old Sep 13, 2004, 04:46 AM
Near Muncie, IN.
Joined Aug 2004
152 Posts
Thanks for the added info Pat, I forgot to mention that. I was planing on planking the aft cabin wall in the same manner, but ran short on 1/16"x1/4" planks and cash at the time. But, I may just still do it yet as I'm not completely satisfied with the way the scribing turned out on the aft cabin wall. Due to varying hard and soft spots in the balsa the scribed lines look good in some spots and not so good in others...too much variation in the depth of the lines, not to mention and ugly seam that needs to be hidden.
Old Sep 13, 2004, 06:37 AM
Western Australia
Joined Jun 2004
750 Posts
Mike
you have done very well for a first time builder, nice first project.
Pat, is this from your plans, are you selling them?? EDIT sorry just relised you have them online...

James
_James_ is offline Find More Posts by _James_
Last edited by _James_; Sep 13, 2004 at 06:48 AM.
Old Sep 13, 2004, 08:44 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,536 Posts
James, I do offer the plans for the Orca, and for the time being a hull short kit. I say the "time being," because the laser cutter went in for a by-pass surgery, and did not fair well at all. We are all pulling for him that he recover and return to doing what he does so well. If not, I'm not sure what I'll do.
As it is, all the boats I have offered up till now have been hand drawn, David traced the hand drawn templates into Correl 4.0 and cuts from that. It's true that I have sold a few short kits, but sales are not nearly brisk enough to warrent the time required to draw the patterns into AutoCAD and start over. Time will tell.
PAT
P. Tritle is offline Find More Posts by P. Tritle
Old Sep 13, 2004, 12:14 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,459 Posts
Nice job Catfishchaser,

That is a lot of progress for three weeks and a first time scratchbuild.
Post us more pics as you finish, and add running hardware.

Umi
Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Sep 13, 2004, 02:59 PM
Near Muncie, IN.
Joined Aug 2004
152 Posts
Thanks for the encouragement folks, hopefully I'll have some more progress pics to post soon. Pat, I hope all fares well with your friend. My mother recently went through by-pass surgery and ran into trouble also but thankfully pulled through it. Well, its off to work for me, later all.
Old Sep 16, 2004, 02:50 PM
Near Muncie, IN.
Joined Aug 2004
152 Posts
More progress pics...

Here's some more pics of the Orca build I'm doing from Pat's plans. Have added the windsheild frames, foredeck, and pulpit in the past couple of days. Everything's working out really well despite my occasional "oops" that have happened. So, far all have been fixable with minor alterations.
I modified the pulpit a little bit so what you see in the pics will be slightly different from whats on Pat's plans if you decide to do this build sometime, which I highly recommend. It;s truley been and enjoyable build for a first timer like me and has me completely hooked on this hobby now.
Old Sep 16, 2004, 03:23 PM
Tinkerer in Training
Guelph, ON
Joined Sep 2004
1,846 Posts
Wow!! The pulpit really looks outstanding! Keep the pictures coming.

..Man, now I'm going to have to rent the movie again...

Regards,
Ray
RGinCanada is offline Find More Posts by RGinCanada
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 19, 2004, 05:02 AM
Near Muncie, IN.
Joined Aug 2004
152 Posts
rebuilt the foredeck...

Was reviewing the movie for details and found this one. Cut the battery hatch apart and added 3/16" under it, then glued 1/16" square strips to the bottom of the fronts and sides, then planked with 1/16x1/4" stips. Really sets the foredeck off I think. Study the previous pictures and you will see what I mean. The detail can be found in the scene where Hooper is trying to get Brody to go to the end of the pulpit to take a picture of the shark, for those of you who may want to review the movie for a future build. have a good one. Sorry if the pics are a little dark, it's 4 a.m. here and my cam works best in daylight conditions. (WalMart cheapie) I'll post better pics later today.
Last edited by catfishchaser; Sep 19, 2004 at 05:05 AM.
Old Sep 22, 2004, 06:42 PM
Joined Sep 2004
135 Posts
My father just finished the Orca and loves it. I had so much fun playing around with it when I was last in town that I'm going to buy a boat of my own. Great job thus far on the build. It will look amazing when it's done!
webgeek is offline Find More Posts by webgeek
Old Sep 25, 2004, 01:41 AM
Near Muncie, IN.
Joined Aug 2004
152 Posts
A little more progress....

Re-did the aft cabin wall by planking it with 1/16" x 1/4' strips. Looks more detailed now and hides a really ugly seam in the original wall. I'm really sold on this planking process. It's a bit more time consuming and tedious, but really adds detail to the boat, deffinately worth the extra time and effort. Seriously thinking about planking the aft deck if I can think of something to use to simulate the caulk lines between the planks. Any one have any suggestions? I'd appreciate any input. Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 25, 2004, 04:16 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,459 Posts
I have seen people use white styrene strips, and even thin strips cut from old "venetion blinds" to simulate the calking between the decking. It's more work for you, but it looks like you are a natural for giving your build extra attention.

Just laminate the wood and strips, and then sand flush for your flooring.

Keep up the great work.

Umi
Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Oct 07, 2004, 09:53 AM
Tinkerer in Training
Guelph, ON
Joined Sep 2004
1,846 Posts
Any more progress on the Orca? Keep the pics coming!! (More, we want more!!)
RGinCanada is offline Find More Posts by RGinCanada
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2004, 10:30 AM
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
3,811 Posts
Quote:
Seriously thinking about planking the aft deck if I can think of something to use to simulate the caulk lines between the planks.
One method is to use construction paper strips between the planks. Black or dark brown paper simulates tarred oakum caulking.
CG Bob is offline Find More Posts by CG Bob