HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 15, 2004, 03:05 AM
Keep off the Grass!!
Cardiff Wales UK
Joined Jun 2003
1,681 Posts
Say it with pretty Flowers!

Absolutely, Pete

I hope, if Bill got a Certificate as well, that he'll laminate it and dope some pretty coloured tissue flowers on it

Nice one, Bill!

Ade
Adrian Britton is offline Find More Posts by Adrian Britton
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2004, 09:34 AM
BillBowne
n/a Posts
Would you believe the plane I'm building right now is HER second ElectroCub? There are some nice benefits to having a flying wife!

Bill B.
Old Oct 21, 2004, 02:47 PM
Head...Paper...Now!
Valley Village, California, United States
Joined Mar 2002
1,264 Posts
This is a great thread! I'm glad that I found it.

Just picked up a 500' roll, but have not used it yet.

I was wondering if anyone has tried Rite Dye yet? I'm going to give it a shot tonight.

John
JFGrn is offline Find More Posts by JFGrn
Old Oct 21, 2004, 03:09 PM
easily confused
Nashville Metro, Tennessee, United States
Joined Sep 2003
2,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFGrn
This is a great thread! I'm glad that I found it.

Just picked up a 500' roll, but have not used it yet.

I was wondering if anyone has tried Rite Dye yet? I'm going to give it a shot tonight.

John
John, thanks for jogging my memory!

I'm making good progress on my AerodromeRC Halberstadt, and I've been picking up bits for it (servos, ESC etc.) as I go along, but I'd forgotten I needed to order some covering for it

As others here have suggested, I called Laminator Warehouse and asked if they had a single roll available (their web site specifies a 2 roll minimum order) and sure enough, they did! Wow, a 500 foot X 25" roll of 1.5 mil Doculam for $18.95 plus $6.50-ish shipping, total approximately $25.40; that's about a nickel per foot for this great covering material

The rest of youse mugs'll have to wait till the next time they have an open or damaged box, I got the last single roll in the house...woohoo!

Glenn
mu2freighter is offline Find More Posts by mu2freighter
Old Oct 21, 2004, 03:56 PM
Lipoly Killer
Gulfport/Biloxi Biloxi Reg, Mississippi, United States
Joined Dec 2000
1,515 Posts
Water based polyurethane

Just received my double roll of doculam after reading this fine thread. I have the original article in Electric Flight International and was intrigued, but living with dope fumes is not my idea of fun. I'm wondering why we couldn't use water based poly to attach the tissue? No smell, is clear and comes in flat and glossy finishes. Best of all, it uses water to clean up. And while this old brain is working, why can't latex paint be used for painting the doculam. The only downside is that the minimum is a quart. Has anyone tried airbrushing with latex? It can mixed to any color.
Frank Hurd is offline Find More Posts by Frank Hurd
Old Oct 21, 2004, 04:59 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,949 Posts
Frank,

I have used house latex after reading an article in MAN by a guy who did Top Gun scale stuff. It does airbrush on doculam great once you get the right thinning. I just make sure to spray the first coat or two really light. I found that it is difficult to scrape off with a fingernail once fully cured (two days).

I bought three quarts (red, blue, yellow) and then mix my own colors for small jobs. Buy some small paint cans to store the mix in so you can do touch ups later, or, document the proportions so you can replicate the color. I already had white and black to mix in for tone.

Someone ran a thread on tissue techniques in here some time back and there was one who used WBPU instead of dope to seal the tissue.

John, Rit Dye? Had not thought of that. Let us know if it works. Would make a nice alternative to translucent film colors.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Oct 21, 2004, 06:00 PM
IAMCANADIAN
Canada, BC, Squamish
Joined Jul 2002
4,744 Posts
zoomzooie, did you ever find a source for this doculam here in B.C. Canada?
Grejen is offline Find More Posts by Grejen
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Learn the ICAO alphabet anyone?
Old Oct 21, 2004, 09:28 PM
Lipoly Killer
Gulfport/Biloxi Biloxi Reg, Mississippi, United States
Joined Dec 2000
1,515 Posts
Thanks, Charlie!

Thank you very much, Charlie! Let's say $10 per quart; red;yellow; blue; white and black. $50 for a lifetime supply of paint! Not bad, at all!
You would have to heat Rit Dye, wouldn't you, in order to get it to color? Or would you mix up the dye and spray it on the adhesive side? Would candy colors work also?
Frank
Frank Hurd is offline Find More Posts by Frank Hurd
Old Oct 21, 2004, 09:42 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,949 Posts
Don't know about the dye. If you heat it up and apply it will it affect the adhesive? Dye it before applying? Would be neat if it worked.

Yes, lifetime supply for us who build small models. The cans I have are still over 3/4 full after painting several planes. Most of it I used up in mixing the colors wrong

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Oct 21, 2004, 10:04 PM
The "pro" in procrastination
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,903 Posts
Grejen,

I found something that seems to be the same as Doculam here in Ottawa. PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you ten feet so you can see if it's what you want.

Steve
Steve85 is online now Find More Posts by Steve85
Old Oct 22, 2004, 01:31 AM
Head...Paper...Now!
Valley Village, California, United States
Joined Mar 2002
1,264 Posts
Well I did have some luck with the tinting. Not as dark as I would want it, but its a
place to start.
I used one packet of Black Rite Dye with 1 gal. of cold water mixed with another 3 cups of boiling. I then placed a 2'X3' piece in a bucket and left it to sit for a half hour.
The overall effect is a light blue tint.
Next, I'll see if it effected the adhesive. Hopefully it should be fine. I do feel it could
handle a little bit hotter bath which should result in a darker tint.

John
JFGrn is offline Find More Posts by JFGrn
Old Oct 22, 2004, 02:40 AM
Keep off the Grass!!
Cardiff Wales UK
Joined Jun 2003
1,681 Posts
Alien "Discovered" in the Bathroom

Quote:
I do feel it could

John
Now, for those of you planning on using larger areas.... please don't get in with it

Still can't find any of this stuff around here. Maybe someone would send me a few feet for Christmas in exchange for a few feet of one of my plans

I'm wondering whether our UK film manufacturers are beginning to get a bit worried......

Nice to be the starter of a more popular thread, but so little from us Brits...

Ade
Old Oct 22, 2004, 02:43 AM
Keep off the Grass!!
Cardiff Wales UK
Joined Jun 2003
1,681 Posts
Alien "Discovered" in the Bathroom

Quote:
I do feel it could

John
Now, for those of you planning on using larger areas.... please don't get in with it

Still can't find any of this stuff around here. Maybe someone would send me a few feet for Christmas in exchange for a few feet of one of my plans (or some Vogan poetry..)

I'm wondering whether our UK film manufacturers are beginning to get a bit worried......

Nice to be the starter of a more popular thread, but so little from us Brits...

Ade
Old Oct 22, 2004, 08:54 AM
easily confused
Nashville Metro, Tennessee, United States
Joined Sep 2003
2,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Britton
Still can't find any of this stuff around here. Maybe someone would send me a few feet for Christmas in exchange for a few feet of one of my plans (or some Vogan poetry..)
Ade
Vogon poetry, Adrian...the third worst in the Galaxy??? Imposter! Only a true denizen of Vogsphere can write poetry that can blister paint within 100 yards, cause small amphibians to spontaneously mutate, and put the Fear into any scintillating jeweled scuttling crab in the neighborhood within hammer's reach!

LOL, on eBay my handle is 'prostetnicvogonjeltz,' so you may be assured you are dealing with the genuine article

'O freddled gruntbuggly...'

See?

Better get back to building your aircraft, Earthling, and do what you do best...

'Or I shall rend thee in the gobberwarts with my blurglecruncheon, see if I don't!'

Glenn
mu2freighter is offline Find More Posts by mu2freighter
Last edited by mu2freighter; Oct 22, 2004 at 09:29 AM.
Old Oct 22, 2004, 12:30 PM
United States, SC, Mt Pleasant
Joined Jun 2002
895 Posts
…. So the definition of successful RC flying is “Throwing your plane at the ground and missing!”…

Back on topic, Has anyone done some painting tests on Doculam? Jim’s planes look great. I’m about to cover a Splash-E from the FlyRC magazine and will probably use Doculam for the cover. My sample test have shown best adhesion to the film by scuffing it with steel wool first. Were I have had trouble is in masking multiple layers for a 3 color paint scheme. Any tips and techniques for painting?

Thanks,
Palmetto

PS. Has anyone seen my towel?
Palmettoflyer is online now Find More Posts by Palmettoflyer