HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2004, 11:33 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,660 Posts
Ade "smart-***" Britton,
Its charlie "hate-ribs" bice Gotta keep all us offended folks straight!

OK so you are the last LiPo purchaser in GB. Now that you've won the prize when are you going to finish covering?

I guess I am the cheapest user of this stuff. Mountain Models ships it with their kits and I used Nelson's on them, so ended up with three planes worth of covering to use up! FREE! No Pete, I don't think there is enough for the big SPAD. Will probably go with airspan for it. The doculam is going on my HOB FW-190 when I get around to finishing it.

charlie HR bice
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2004, 12:14 AM
BC. Canada
Joined Aug 2003
234 Posts
I made a trip today to a friends copy shop in the next town and asked him about Doculam. He says he never heard of it. He gave me a couple of end of the rolls of what he uses to try out. I think one is 1.5mil and the other is either 3 or 5mil. I will do a paint test on them and if I ever find some Krylon clear matt. If it works, I will have a limited free supply.
I went to the only store too, that has a big enough selection on Krylon but they don't carry crystal clear.

What kind of base is crystal clear made of? I might be able to find something from another manufaturer if I knew. What about laquer and acrylic bases?

What about Krylon matt finish that is used for art work? It goes on thin though. I though I had a can to try but I guess not.

ZZ
zoomzoooie is offline Find More Posts by zoomzoooie
Old Oct 13, 2004, 07:32 AM
easily confused
Nashville Metro, Tennessee, United States
Joined Sep 2003
2,183 Posts
I think the Krylon sold in art supply stores is the same stuff hardware/department stores sell. I used to hit the art stores for the ~ $5 a can stuff when I used a light coat over stick & tissue FF models, but bought my Krylon matte spray I used on my Stuka (Polly Scale acrylic over Doculam) for $2.79 or so at Wal Mart's household paint section this time.

Used it on my painted foam GWS Zero (factory green on top, Tamiya IJN Grey underside) as well to make the surface appearance uniform as well as kill the shine of the stick on markings...a light coat or two does it and works great.

Glenn
mu2freighter is offline Find More Posts by mu2freighter
Old Oct 13, 2004, 04:21 PM
BC. Canada
Joined Aug 2003
234 Posts
Glenn, yes it it the same matt spray. Do you think that will be fuel proof enough? If it is I'll get some. It goes on very fine from what I remember so you would need several coats to seal.
ZZ
Old Oct 13, 2004, 05:57 PM
New Boston, Texas, United States
Joined Jan 2003
2,575 Posts
Since Glenn mentioned one of my models earlier, I thought I would post a couple of pics of my doculam covered models. Painted with cheap department store spray cans.

Jim
JIMA is offline Find More Posts by JIMA
Old Oct 13, 2004, 09:06 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,660 Posts
Jim,

Do you like P-40's?

BTW, my second favorite, after the Hurri.

charlie
Old Oct 13, 2004, 10:12 PM
BC. Canada
Joined Aug 2003
234 Posts
Nice work Jima! They all look great
Are those spinners 30mm from Aeromax? I have a couple that I wanted to try on a Norvel .061 for my DH89a Dragon Rapide project coming up. I think though I just might go with the Dubro aluminum spinner nuts. They are closer to the right diameter and I might need the added weight up front anyway. I was thinking of modifying them by milling out the back plate a bit so the back will fit even with the back of the prop and then cut out notches for the prop blades. This will give me a more scale appearence.

I hope you guys aren't holding a grudge on me since I'm not E-power...yet any ways.
I'm just trying to get all the info from all the knowledgeable people around here.

ZZ
Old Oct 13, 2004, 10:51 PM
BC. Canada
Joined Aug 2003
234 Posts
I just finished finding out exactly what Krylon #1311 matt finish is. It is the stuff I used for art work. It and Crystal clear are both arcylic base. I'm going to pick up a can to try. I'll post my results in a few days.

ZZ
Old Oct 13, 2004, 11:38 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,660 Posts
ZZ, We never hold a grudge on anyone who builds! We'll forgive your vice if you don't mind seeing all this electric stuff

charlie
Old Oct 14, 2004, 01:25 AM
Keep off the Grass!!
Cardiff Wales UK
Joined Jun 2003
1,681 Posts
I'll get him Cutting out Ribs for Christmas!!

What size would one desire that my S400 P40 plans be scaled to for one, Sir Charles?

Still can't find any local suppliers for the rolls. Might start hanging about Cardiff Uni and enhance my reputation!

Ade
Adrian Britton is offline Find More Posts by Adrian Britton
Old Oct 14, 2004, 08:18 AM
New Boston, Texas, United States
Joined Jan 2003
2,575 Posts
Actually, there is only 1 P-40. The tropical sheme was before the tree grabbed her. The desert scheme was after the rebuild.

The spinner was handmade from balsa turned on my dremel tool.

Jim
JIMA is offline Find More Posts by JIMA
Old Oct 14, 2004, 08:58 AM
BillBowne
n/a Posts
Hey, my Altair 400 won the "Pretty Plane" award at last night's meeting. Of course it was the ONLY entry, but hey, $10 (the prize) is $10!

Bill B.
Old Oct 14, 2004, 10:21 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,660 Posts
Bill,
There you go then mate, that's your next five years worth of laminating film paid for. A win is a win, well done.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Oct 14, 2004, 06:08 PM
BillBowne
n/a Posts
Ummm, actually, I used the $10 to buy my wife a little bouquet on the way home from work. Considering how much she supports The Hobby, she's well worth it!

Bill B.
Old Oct 15, 2004, 01:41 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,660 Posts
Bill,
Even better. Now you'll be in her good books for at least the next week. you did say there was a new model you fancied, didn't you?

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE