HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 02, 2004, 07:00 AM
BillBowne
n/a Posts
Thank you, Adrian!

Assuming it survives my clumsy thumbs until next spring, I will be flying it at the annual demonstration of E-flight my wife and I provide at a school I work at.

Bill B.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2004, 10:29 AM
USA, MS, Iuka
Joined Jan 2002
722 Posts
Bill your Altair looks great! What an insperation it is. I purchased a roll of the doculam a few years ago when I first got into electrics. It has been collecting dust....not any more!

Thanks
Bill
Bsouthwell is offline Find More Posts by Bsouthwell
Old Oct 09, 2004, 12:19 AM
BC. Canada
Joined Aug 2003
234 Posts
Hi all,
I've been looking for a paintable covering and was wondering if any of you know if dope will work on Doculam without trouble. Sorry I'm not into electric yet and fly glow so I need a fuel proof paint finish such a dope. My interest is authentic scale colors and details like the Stuka of mu2freighter, for early era to WWII biplanes.

How much was shipping for a 500 foot roll of Doculam?
zoomzoooie is offline Find More Posts by zoomzoooie
Old Oct 10, 2004, 08:49 AM
Imagine That!
Tularosa, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jan 2003
1,638 Posts
Fuelproof Paint

[QUOTE=zoomzoooie]Hi all,
I've been looking for a paintable covering and was wondering if any of you know if dope will work on Doculam without trouble. Sorry I'm not into electric yet and fly glow so I need a fuel proof paint finish such a dope. QUOTE]

I don't know what dope will do to Doculam. In fact, I've pretty much given up on dope. Here's why:

Enamels and such are generally fuelproof, available in more colors than dope, and cheaper to boot. Krylon Crystal Clear (available in gloss and matte) will fuel-proof just about anything else.

Tom
www.warbirdkits.com
TomJacoby is offline Find More Posts by TomJacoby
Old Oct 10, 2004, 10:06 AM
jollyroger
Central Lake, Mi.
Joined Nov 2002
1,025 Posts
Ah, well, two questions.. Is doculam available at office supply stores and second : Bill where did you get that gorgeous plane? Kit or plans. I want one!
Cheers John Z
John Z is offline Find More Posts by John Z
Old Oct 10, 2004, 12:01 PM
BC. Canada
Joined Aug 2003
234 Posts
Tom, I did a search on the net for Krylon crystal cleat matt finish but they don't seem to have a crystal clear matt finish. The only matt finish they have is called Matt Finish used on art work. Is this the matt finish you are talking about and will be fuel proof? They also have one called Low odor which is in both matt and clear. Is that one fuel proof? I would be using Humbrol paints for the authentic colors on my projects. Thanks

JohnZ, I don't know about getting Doculam in office stores but there is a thread on it, do a search. There is a few links to suppliers for it. Very cheap @ $18.95 for 25"x500ft. That 'll last a life time! I think I might get some.

ZZ
Old Oct 10, 2004, 06:22 PM
Imagine That!
Tularosa, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jan 2003
1,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoooie
Tom, I did a search on the net for Krylon crystal cleat matt finish but they don't seem to have a crystal clear matt finish.

ZZ
Well, the Krylon part was correct The matte variety goes by a different name.

Krylon #1303 Crystal Clear
Krylon #1311 Matte Finish

I just bought a can of Krylon #1301 Acrylic Crystal Clear today. But since I don't fly slimers anymore, I won't be able to test its fuel-proofness.

I don't have any experience with the "low odor" stuff so can't comment about its qualities.

Tom
www.warbirdkits.com
TomJacoby is offline Find More Posts by TomJacoby
Old Oct 10, 2004, 10:59 PM
BC. Canada
Joined Aug 2003
234 Posts
Thanks Tom, I'll have to make a trip to the hardware store and see what they have and do a few tests.
ZZ
Old Oct 11, 2004, 02:13 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,718 Posts
Adrian,
Oh dear mate, what have you started? As if it wasn't bad enough that I've been persuaded to buy some brushless motors and LiPo packs, I now have some laminating pouches to play about with. I even have just the model in mind to try them out on - either a little Nieuport monoplane or a Samolot 'Kogutek'.
Unfortunately, it won't happen just yet. Managed to set the kitchen alight Friday evening and everywhere is covered with thick, black, soot. I'm becoming convinced that there's a conspiracy afoot to prevent me getting a model built. Still, it doesn't prevent me getting on with designing the 1/6 scale SPAD XIII Charlie asked for. Even if the beggars tried by keeping me in hospital overnight. As soon as the coughing stops long enough to keep the mouse steady, I'll be back to drawing.
Before anyone asks, no, I wasn't trying to rescue models. I went back into the house looking for the wife's new puppy.

Pete
PETERRAKE is online now Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Oct 11, 2004, 07:48 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,735 Posts
Pete,

Hope not too much was damaged. First John back in the big white house for a while, now you get in one. As long as us old tankers keep coming back out the doors I won't worry too much

Don't exhaust yourself working on the SPAD either. You still have another month to get it done

You have LiPo's??? Wow, the last person in the UK to convert!

Only downside to doculam is it doesn't shrink half as much as Nelson's/Solite. It is great when you want to paint a model tho.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Oct 11, 2004, 11:49 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,718 Posts
Charlie,
No big problem mate, half the house is still useable.

A whole month? Should work out, only have fuselage formers, wire parts and the bottom wings to draw. Then just sort it all out and add the details. Hope you're ready for a marathon rib cutting session mate. Had to use scale spacings to keep the scalloped trailing edge right.

Must get in touch with John - hurry him back into circulation. Afterall, he has an SE5A to test fly and a Brisfit to build. I ask you, what sort of excuse is falling out of his wheelchair? I always told him these light cavalry types didn't have the stamina. ( sorry guys, Armoured Corps joke) At leat all tankies have one thing in common - tough as old boots.

Adrian,
Sorry for wandering off topic mate. Thanks (?) for giving me the incentive to test out something new. The fact that it also gives me a good excuse to build a new model is an added bonus. " Sorry dear, HAVE to build this so I can try out that covering."

Pete
PETERRAKE is online now Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Oct 11, 2004, 12:02 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,735 Posts
Ade,
OK, so I can say I stayed on topic, I may use doculam instead of airspan for the SPAD. Gotta paint it anyway and doculam will probably not absorb as much paint as airspan (shrinks a bit better too).

Pete,
I can't say much, I spent my time on both sides of the fence (armored cav and heavies). Don't forget, besides being tough as old boots our brains are just about as dense

SCALE rib spacing?!? You are just trying to punish me for not build the Isaac's Fury aren't you OK, revised weight estimate, 10 lbs!! I bet you will have me use wires for the TE like the real one too? Big stacks of balsa will be going through the bandsaw!

Ok Ade, back to you.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Oct 11, 2004, 02:15 PM
BillBowne
n/a Posts
Sorry about taking so long, but the wife, doggie-daughters, and I were camping over the weekend -- no TV, no radio, no computer, just good books, some time at the shore, and a lot of relaxing.

Anyway, John Z. asked where I got the Altair 400 from. It's my own design, scaled down from my earlier Altair (Jeti 30/3). The original Altair has been flying for about two years, but the Altair 400 hasn't been test flown. When it has been tested, I'll make the plans available as a TurboCAD or generic CAD (.DXF) file. No detailed instructions, though. If you've read Derek's comments in the thread about Chris Gold's plans, you'll understand my point.

Of course, if anyone wants to host some of my plans, I'll be glad to send them to them. My only requirements are that I be acknowledged as the author and that they not be sold for profit.

Also, regarding Dope on Doculam: I applied the tissue with dope, and it seems to be holding fine, whilst not doing any damage to the covering.

Bill B.
Old Oct 12, 2004, 02:29 AM
Keep off the Grass!!
Cardiff Wales UK
Joined Jun 2003
1,681 Posts
OK, Its all My Fault again, Chaps!

Well, all these adventures! I hope everybody and their kitchens, puppies, chairs and planes are all OK now

You see, I know I started this thing, but I still haven't managed to obtain any of the stuff locally. When I do, I'm thinking of repeating an 86" semi-scale motor glider called "Ikarus" I designed many years ago, and cover that theatrically. I'll find a pic and post it later.

I am the last Lipo Learner. I've got ONE!! As for brushless, I only had enough to stop for a short haircut on the way home with my lipo

Have a better day, every day, chaps!

cc: Charlie "Hate-ribs" Portablvcb, Peter "Sooty" Rake, Bill "Cover-it-for-a Quid" Bowne.

Inoffensive Ade
Adrian Britton is offline Find More Posts by Adrian Britton
Old Oct 12, 2004, 11:58 AM
BillBowne
n/a Posts
"Woof, um, I mean, Cool!"

Bill B.