HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 11, 2004, 07:00 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2000
8,535 Posts
Vendors that accept paypal...

Which vendors out there accept paypal, that of course, are good vendors?

Paul
Arbo is offline Find More Posts by Arbo
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2004, 07:39 PM
Loveland, Colorado
Joined Mar 2000
1,997 Posts
I accept PayPal , as for being a good vendor, I might be a little biased

-- Acer
http://speedwing.net
Acer is online now Find More Posts by Acer
Old Sep 11, 2004, 08:51 PM
North Hills
Joined Nov 1999
6,073 Posts
www.aircraft-world.com
SchiessCo is offline Find More Posts by SchiessCo
Old Sep 12, 2004, 06:45 AM
veni,vidi, roto volubilis
Aberdeen, Scotland
Joined Jul 2003
6,969 Posts
in no particular order

Aircraft-World
All-E-RC
Todds Models/BUYGWS.com
E Cubed RC
Aeromicro
Bishop Power Products
ParkFlyer Motors

all great vendors that i've had excellent service from
but tbh i think most all of the RCG sponsors accept paypal

phil
Happy|Harry is offline Find More Posts by Happy|Harry
Old Sep 12, 2004, 10:10 AM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Miami Lakes, Florida, USA
Joined Mar 2003
8,486 Posts
You want vendors who require Paypal? Wouldn't you rather deal with someone who accepts your credit card in the usual manner? Wasn't Paypal the subject of a successful class action suit? Aren't Paypal customers victimized by email credit card scams? Don't vendors use Paypal because they don't qualify for ordinary credit card accounts? I bought a model plane with Paypal once and was charged a $5 fee by my credit card company for a "cash advance". What advantage do you get by using Paypal?
Miami Mike is offline Find More Posts by Miami Mike
Old Sep 12, 2004, 10:24 AM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2000
8,535 Posts
Yes, i want paypal.

Why? Because I have money in my paypal account to spend on the hobby from other stuff I have sold. So I either use a vendor that supports it, or I don't get new stuff for my hobby.

No, many vendors accept normal credit cards and paypal. Why? Because there are loads of people out there that have paypal accounts and use that to fund their hobby through selling other things, and if they didn't accept paypal, they would loose that business.

Certainly there are problems with paypal, just as there are with major credit card companies, so what? I haven't had any issues so it works for me.

Paul
Arbo is offline Find More Posts by Arbo
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 12, 2004, 10:45 AM
Foam Flyer
Stockbridge, Georgia, United States
Joined Jan 2003
2,931 Posts
I accept PayPal I have a small product line and am working to expand it every day.

As to why I take PayPal and not Credit Card Directly. Well PayPal charges a percentage to use it. Credit Card Acceptance Directly is OUTRAGEOUS! I could get an account to accept Credit Cards Instantly. The reason I don't is the fee's. On Average $50.00 a month to accept them (even if you don't do ANY transactions). Then they also get a percentage of your transactions, and if you go over a certain amount of sales a month they get a higher percentage and your monthly fee goes up as well. All this while they are still collecting their percentage off of the person who actually bought with the card.

They are raking in the $$, they are getting paid 3 ways for each transaction. So much a month fee for the vendor to be able to accept their wonderful card, then a percentage of the actual charge amount. Finally they get their percentage from the card holder for the charge.

I do this because I enjoy it and it helps to pay for my addiction to this hobby. It sometimes, not very often, but sometimes actually puts some money back into my household. I wont say never, but I don't believe that I will ever do enough business to actually make a living off of this (one can hope though ). So you try and save $$ where you can. PayPal is not perfect, and anyone who accepts credit cards is going to get burned as well. Especially if you accept cards via the web, or phone. You have no picture I.D. to compare it to and you have no signature on the slip. If it's a stolen card, your going to eat that sale if its bogus.

Hope that helps to explain it a little better.

Glenn
www.foamtasticmodels.com
Depdog is offline Find More Posts by Depdog
Last edited by PeteSchiess; Sep 12, 2004 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Corrected URL in sig.
Old Sep 12, 2004, 12:01 PM
Los Angeles, California
Joined Apr 2002
923 Posts
Depdog,

You seem pretty negative about setting up a credit card merchant account. Although what you said about merchant account is true, that's the price to pay to accept credit cards. Shop and you will find lower fees cc processing companies. I did and I got. As far as cc fraud, if PayPal gets a charge back from the cc company, PP will then charge it back to your account anyways. In our policy of accepting credit card over the phone, if the sale amount is over a certain dollar limit, the buyer is required to fax in a copy of the front and back of the credit card and a government issued pictured photo id (like driver license). We also ship to credit card billing address only, with signature confirmation, no exception.
aau007 is offline Find More Posts by aau007
Old Sep 12, 2004, 12:33 PM
Foam Flyer
Joined Jan 2003
2,931 Posts
I guess I do sound pretty negative, its just because of the charges. I would love to be able to accept credit cards and have some protection. I already had a problem with paypal where they reversed the funds back to the buyer. Due to a bank problem. Thankfully he was a stand up guy and sent me a money order that covered it all.

Who do you use (if you don't mind me asking). My problem with the credit card companies is they get it 3 ways. I worked for a tire shop for 5 years. The owner did not accept credit cards. We must have gotten 10 phone calls a month from companies that wanted him to use their service to accept cards. His answer was always the same. I will buy the machine, but pay NO monthly fee, or any percentage to you to accept cards. They would Never go for that. He would explain his point to them could see his point, but said they would never do this fee free.

I can understand them charging a percentage of each sale, paypal does this. But then they want an outrageous monthly fee. Then if you have a really good month and sell a lot, they up the fee. It's ludicrous.

Glenn
Old Sep 12, 2004, 01:00 PM
Los Angeles, California
Joined Apr 2002
923 Posts
Glenn,

Credit card processing companies are individual entities not related to Visa/Mastercard, etc. They are like clearing houses between the merchant and the actual credit card companies. Therefore, the more type of cards you want to accept, the more fees. These companies are in the business of making money too, therefore the percentage per transaction, per ticket fee, etc. There are usually monthly minimum but if you are in the retail business, that should not be a problem. However, it is new to me that any processing companies would charge more for higher volume. There are many fee structure schemes offered by different processing companies and you really need to do some research to see which scheme will meet your needs. As far as the company we use, I would rather not disclose the name in public but can give you more detail via PM if you are interested. Our processing company tailored a pricing structure for us and is mainly used for phone/mail order, small number of tickets, high dollar amount for each ticket, internet processing only, no machine. We have a monthly minimum but we can usually cover the minimum with just one ticket.
aau007 is offline Find More Posts by aau007
Old Sep 12, 2004, 01:15 PM
Foam Flyer
Joined Jan 2003
2,931 Posts
Shoot me a PM and I will be more than happy to check them out. Sometimes my sales are not even $50.00 a month, and I have had months with NO sales. That is why PayPal is so attractive to small time folks like me.

Thanks
Glenn
Old Sep 14, 2004, 02:14 PM
Hong Kong Intl, Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2004
212 Posts
I accept PayPal too.

www.aero-nuts.com
HKAero-Nuts is offline Find More Posts by HKAero-Nuts
Old Sep 14, 2004, 07:41 PM
AV8