HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 10, 2004, 08:32 PM
"I passed on the kool-aid"
Waco, TX
Joined Jan 2004
3,884 Posts
How do I use my Craftsman clamp meter #82014?

I just bought a used Craftsman clamp on amp meter (the one that is true RMS that measures DC amps also). However it does not have any instructions with it. I think I figured out how to get it to read DC amps but am not sure how I go about measuring them. I have brushed and brushless setups and do not want to short anything out by accident? Any input would be appreciated.
papasmurf is offline Find More Posts by papasmurf
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2004, 06:31 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
With DC Amps selected, zero the meter first (sometimes takes more than one press), then just clamp the red loop around one of the power wires between the battery and ESC. The wire "should" be somewhat perpendicular to the loop, but in practice, it makes little difference.
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Sep 20, 2004, 09:17 PM
Waco, TX
Joined Jan 2004
3,884 Posts
Found the problem I was having....

I had the clamp between the motor leads and ESC. You would think it would not make a difference but I guess it does. It would not even read 1 amp at WOT before but I am getting pretty accurate readings now that I have it in the right spot. The J250 with a 4040 on an MPI adapter and 2 cell apogees pulled 10.5-11 amps static. I was surprised it was so much. It must drop alot in the air.
Old Sep 20, 2004, 09:39 PM
Paducah Barkley, Kentucky, United States
Joined Sep 2003
783 Posts
The output of an ESC is pulsed DC/PWM (pulse wave modulated) at a high frequency (compared to 60hz), which the meter sees as AC. But I doubt it has the frequency responce for accurate readings at that frequency, and its square wave not sine wave (as with 110/220v 60hz) which also may throw it off.

OTOH the input of the ESC is DC.

mike
umrk is offline Find More Posts by umrk
Old Sep 20, 2004, 09:51 PM
Waco, TX
Joined Jan 2004
3,884 Posts
Makes sense now...

thanks for the clarification.
Old Dec 27, 2007, 02:11 PM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,424 Posts
Does anyone have a pdf of the manual?

TIA,

Jim
jrb is offline Find More Posts by jrb
Old Dec 27, 2007, 09:14 PM
volare est vivere
United States, OH, Toledo
Joined Jan 2005
2,004 Posts
hi there from Toledo

Check out: www.sears-roebuck.com

They have a parts service which includes manuals.

ciao -rjf
ray foley is offline Find More Posts by ray foley
Old Dec 27, 2007, 11:34 PM
Rochester, NY
United States, NY, Monroe
Joined May 2004
1,880 Posts
I have a Sears Clamp meter and use it often. Clamp one of the wires between the battery and ESC. Do NOT change the dial while power is going to the motor - you can fry the meter.

Vinnie
JustGoFly is offline Find More Posts by JustGoFly
Old Dec 28, 2007, 06:52 AM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,424 Posts
Ray did you or have you had luck using that site?

I didn't there or on the real Sear site www.sears.com .

Mine is actually an 82062; neither it or its manual has the traditional Sears type part number?
jrb is offline Find More Posts by jrb
Old Feb 15, 2010, 01:13 AM
Joined Feb 2010
2 Posts
My 34-82014 clamp meter eats batteries-any help?

I bought a craftsmeman Clamp Multimeter, 34-82014 about 5 years ago. From the first it ran through 9 volt batteries in a month or so. I thought it might be turning on in the case, so I glued a ring around the button. Did not help. Then I got to removing the battery between uses (I do not use it often.) This is still a pain, and my last battery lasted about 3 days because I did not remove it. Is this a common problem, and is there a repair solution?

Yesterday, I drilled a hole in the case, and installed a radio shack toggle switch over the buzzer. I cut the red 9V bat wire and soldered it to the switch. If there is another fix for this problem, I would like to do that too.

Any other problems or fixes for this meter?
rcgjme is offline Find More Posts by rcgjme