HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 10, 2004, 06:33 PM
Ontario Canada
Joined Aug 2003
538 Posts
Old Scientific Mercury Kit

Hi All,

Just returned from the Vintage R/C Society reunion at Endicott NY. We had a great time there.

While there, I acquired an very old kit. A "Scientific Mercury" with 72 inch WS. The contents of the kit box are complete , including the old wooden hubbed wheels which are still in very good condition. Wood is very good as well. The only part not good is the kit box. It looks a little ragged. I guess this spoils the value as a collector item, so I plan to build the kit.

Does anyone have any info about the history of this model? I would like to know as much as possible about the plane, the designer, & the kit company.

Thanks,
Bob G
boberos is offline Find More Posts by boberos
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2004, 09:20 PM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
Joined May 2000
3,335 Posts
This plane was designed by Ben Shereshaw and was first kitted in 1939 by Scientific. In my opinion it is one of the most classic oldtimers. I'd suggest using the kit as patterns to cut parts from new wood since its so old.

Here's a picture Ben himself holding a Mercury that was built as electric for him by his son who posted it here on RCGroups. I think it is slightly reduced in scale from the original. The Brown Jr motor in the photo is a dummy cylinder
Gerald is offline Find More Posts by Gerald
Old Sep 11, 2004, 11:26 PM
SAM Elec GrandChamp04,07,10,12
Smithfield, Ky.
Joined Sep 2001
1,064 Posts
Mercury at SAM Champs Las Vegas 2001

Here is a picture of about 9 Mercurys at the SAM Champs
a few years ago. Ben was there being honored for his contribution to Model designs.
All flew quite well. Can't remember which one was the winnner of the Concourse. All models entered in the Concourse must be flown during the Champs to prove that
they are a flyable model.

Jay
Jay Burkart is offline Find More Posts by Jay Burkart
Old Mar 04, 2005, 04:40 PM
"Experienced-Crasher"
Rex, NC "Extreme Boonies"
Joined Jan 2002
2,355 Posts
The "JR"..........

I have the '39 Scientific Mercury Jr. kit. Same as it's "big-Brother", but at a 50" span( didn't get the public fanfare the bigger sibling got, being class A). A simple geared 400 is all it needs to be airborne. I've built a couple copys from the printwood in the past, and even with 6.3oz of NiCads she's a "floater".
Oh Yes. NEVER use your origional printwood! when it's gone. it's GONE!
Try my method of copying the printwood. You can use MUCH beter graded contest wood, and it will be EXACTLY the same as the kit wood... well, almost. The ONLY thing that will be different is the numbers or letters will be "mirrored" or reversed. and a couple of swipes from fine sandpaper will eliminate that. Or, if you want people to see them (some do) all you need do is take your copies to the CAD /blueprint shop and have them reverse-copy them. when laid-out you can't tell it from the origional printwood!
AND.. as long as you keep a printwood photocopy, you'll always have a virtual "short-kit" on paper to rebuild her!
Here's a link to my method (I really need to use my new camera and retake & edit the photos in it, they're a few years old, when I had a "cheapy-digital" )
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77687
Bob
Demon-Leather is offline Find More Posts by Demon-Leather
Last edited by Demon-Leather; Mar 04, 2005 at 04:53 PM.
Old May 04, 2006, 01:08 PM
How far in the ground..?
Poulsbo, WA
Joined Apr 2005
580 Posts
Hello Bob....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon-Leather
I have the '39 Scientific Mercury Jr..... Bob
Hello Bob,,,,, Quite a while back you made me an offer regarding 'a coke bottle cowling' you constructed for your Mercury. The Merc is so close to the Sportster I wish now I had taken you up on the offer! I followed your thread, and read the posts regarding the forming bit. If you have an extra Cowling available I would gladly pay! Save myself of the expense of Dremel, Coke, and Heat Gun. Take care.
Ron
Power_Auger is offline Find More Posts by Power_Auger
Old May 08, 2006, 03:51 PM
How far in the ground..?
Poulsbo, WA
Joined Apr 2005
580 Posts
Sorry Guys, My Mistake!!!!

This was in complete error! My apologies. I don't know how to delete this. Or even if I can. It was not my intention to start a new thread.
Ron
Power_Auger is offline Find More Posts by Power_Auger
Old May 08, 2006, 06:25 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,689 Posts
Why not..pictiures of gorgeous old planes.

I'M not complaining.

Carry on chaps! Chocks away!
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old May 16, 2006, 11:19 PM
Voices through wires? Ha!
Joined Feb 2003
1,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage1
Chocks away!

Chas is offline Find More Posts by Chas