SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 09, 2004, 09:05 PM
Colonial Heights, Virginia, USA
Joined Mar 2001
1,710 Posts
Question
Foam Safe Primer For Acrylic Air Brushed Paints ??

Now that i've got the water-based acrylic paint air brush rig going well, Does anyone know of a GWS type foam-safe PRIMER that can be applied to the foam surfaces before air brushing-on the top finish coat(s) ??? ....The paint is deff NOT sticking directly to the foam (to slick, maybe ??)well enough for even the least-sticky masking tape without pulling-off some of the paint.....Besides cleaning the foam with alcohol and a very fine-lite sanding prep, is there any PRIMER application tricks that will greatly improve the acrylic adhesion or is that the normal performance of the much talked-about Walmart sourced craft type water-based paints ?? ... ...... kw
KillerWatt is offline Find More Posts by KillerWatt
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2004, 06:31 AM
What...me worry?
Idaho
Joined Sep 2003
227 Posts
A couple of things...

You can use an acrylic thinner, (sometimes labeled "acrylic airbrush thinner") and that will help the adhesion tremendously. Read the bottle, some of them require mixing with water, and some are used straight in place of water.

You can also use Testors flat white as a primer undercoat, but this will add a considerable amount of weight.
rookie-wingman is offline Find More Posts by rookie-wingman
Old Sep 10, 2004, 07:24 PM
Joined Mar 2001
1,710 Posts
Whoa.....maybe i just didn't give the the big "W"'s craft type paint long enough time to dry and cure-up .......Repeated the masking tape "pull-off" test after about 24 hrs dry time and whadda ' know....NONE (of yesterday's air brushed applied paint) comes off the styro with the masking tape !! .....I think i'll try one of the local paint pro shops exotic, super-grippn, dymond-hard dryin, advertized to stick to everything water-based "super-enamels" (actually no more expensive considering the whole pint can size) toughness and resistance to masking-tape "pull-off" performance comparison to the "W-Mart" typical craft paint just to see if there's any "worth-it" difference.............BTW...if i want to use thicker or less thinned-out paint through the air brush, do i just use higher compressor pressure or somehow adjust the "pattern" knob or change an internal air brush part ???? .......... kw
Old Sep 10, 2004, 07:35 PM
Joined Mar 2001
1,710 Posts
Should have mentioned that i've got up to 90 psi @ about 8 CFM available to run the air brush if just more air pressure (been usin only 40 psi) is needed to get non or less thinned splatterless paint through the brush nozzle......... kw