SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 09, 2004, 07:03 PM
No drugs to fly high
Toronto, Canada
Joined Jan 2004
764 Posts
long range radio system suggestions??

Hello,
I am writing this to ask for suggestions on radios. I am not really interesting in the ooohss and awwws of fancy stuff. I have a Futaba Attack 4 and very happy with it since I only fly Nostalgic RES sailplanes.

My concerns is you have rudder/elevator/spoiler controls, and maybe ailerons later on. 4 chans i guess.

Also, my main concern....RANGE!!!!!!
The Futaba attack 4 says 500m on ground and 1000m up (of course depending on environment, I am sure I flew the ground limit in search of thermals). And maybe in the future I would be cross country flying (well....1km distance and back...)

Any suggestions to a radio system that has a larger range (especially on ground) at a reasonable price.

Or I have no choice and buy those expensive computerized one (well, dunno about their range, but for those prices....it better be)
oracle_9 is offline Find More Posts by oracle_9
Last edited by oracle_9; Sep 09, 2004 at 07:05 PM. Reason: thought of a better title that best describs this
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2004, 07:09 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,371 Posts
Check how far the planes you fly can get before you can't see them well enough to control them.
This distance will about 1/4 - 3/8 of a mile.
Your radios are good for out of sight control of your planes.
Ground range tells you nothing about air range.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Sep 09, 2004, 09:10 PM
Flyin' Ryan
USA, MO, Lee's Summit
Joined Sep 2001
980 Posts
The FCC limits the output power of RC transmitters (.1 watt, I think). So as long as it is a narrow band FM, they all should be very similar. I think a bigger factor is the reciever, Rx batts, and surrounding conditions.
Ryan
rycomm is offline Find More Posts by rycomm
Old Sep 09, 2004, 11:10 PM
No drugs to fly high
Toronto, Canada
Joined Jan 2004
764 Posts
AH, yes I forgot the reciever. More sensitive it is the further it can pick up the same signal. Ok.

Any recommendations for a sensitive receiver than?
Old Sep 10, 2004, 01:00 AM
Think Thermals!!!!
Costa Mesa, California
Joined Mar 2004
2,964 Posts
O9 where are you located? Country?

As to transmitters I would shop eBay for a used 8UAF or 8UAH. You can get one for a little over a hundred dollars. The 9C is going for around $280. This is the transmitter with the module only. As to receivers; the Futaba FM receivers are one of the best.
SoCalGliderFlyr is offline Find More Posts by SoCalGliderFlyr
Old Sep 10, 2004, 07:53 AM
No drugs to fly high
Toronto, Canada
Joined Jan 2004
764 Posts
Toronto, Canada.
We use the 72Mhz. Thanks for the info. so far guys.
Old Sep 10, 2004, 11:31 AM
Less Whinning, More Flying
SF Bay Area, USA
Joined Feb 2003
1,734 Posts
I don't think you have to be worried about the range. You can range out far beyond your visual range. A club members flies his equipped with a live feed video. He has full control of it far beyond where he can see it.
Sean
Sailhigh is offline Find More Posts by Sailhigh
Old Sep 10, 2004, 11:40 AM
No drugs to fly high
Toronto, Canada
Joined Jan 2004
764 Posts
Okay, I just was worried one day when I flew far. Live feed video? that must be interesting :-)
Old Sep 10, 2004, 06:57 PM
Coventry. UK
Joined Dec 2002
189 Posts
If you can see it, you should be able to control it. But i have flown a 2m glider so high that i had to get out the binoculars ( i always carry them, just in case, 20x50s ) even when it was getting to the limits of vision with the bins, i could still control it. It must have been very very high, above 2000ft i'm sure. It was a 120 minute flight & the only reason i came down was i was scared of the batts going flat. Ray
djindivik is offline Find More Posts by djindivik
Old Sep 11, 2004, 11:15 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,246 Posts
1KM range is about 3000 feet. For normal use, that is probably fine. For Cross country where you will probably be flying a 4M plane, you could get beyond that range.

Not sure, but isn't the Attack an AM radio? 1KM is common for AM

Most modern FM Radios can work with receivers with 1M+ range, or 1.6+ KM. For example, any of the modern Hitec radios can work with Hitec receivers with ranges over 1M or 1.6KM. That is all you need.

in the Hitec lin, Anything above the Micro 555 has a 1M+ range and would be suitable for a Xcountry plane.

Same with modern Futaba, JR and Airtronics radio/receiver combos. Only the very smallest have limited range, like the Hitec Feather.

You have plenty to choose from.

Most Hitec Receivers
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Jun 17, 2008, 10:25 AM
Joined Mar 2008
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rycomm
The FCC limits the output power of RC transmitters (.1 watt, I think). So as long as it is a narrow band FM, they all should be very similar. I think a bigger factor is the reciever, Rx batts, and surrounding conditions.
Ryan
f.c.u.k FCC... i can reach up to 10km with an external signal booster (1w)...
thegreat is offline Find More Posts by thegreat
Old Jun 17, 2008, 11:00 AM
agony sweetns the victory
Any Flying Field Across America
Joined Jul 2005
3,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle_9
AH, yes I forgot the reciever. More sensitive it is the further it can pick up the same signal. Ok.

Any recommendations for a sensitive receiver than?
1 - don't buy cheap junk, you get what you pay for

2 - don't modify the Rx antenna, or even coil it. there are plenty of threads and links on the web as to what happens to signal strength as you start mucking with the antenna, and range is a function of signal strength.
atjurhs is offline Find More Posts by atjurhs
Old Jun 17, 2008, 12:37 PM
trend
Switzerland, Aargau, Lenzburg
Joined Jan 2006
413 Posts
A friend of mine flew his open ship to 3500 feet, myself to over 3000 feet. This, for me, is limit of visibility. Control is no issue at this height, as I am using a vario that signals loss of reception in % of errors. Errors are the same as when flying low. I am using an evo 9 with a Berg 7.
trend.ab is offline Find More Posts by trend.ab
Old Jun 17, 2008, 11:51 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
6,931 Posts
I like the Attack 4 tx, but the rx that came with it was single conversion and vulnerable. That doesn't mean it was short range, though. Seems like with just about any radio I've owned, if everything was set up right, I could fly as far away as I could see. That's sometimes with 3M sailplanes, and my eyes are pretty good. They used to be even better, I think.

If you can find dual conversion AM receivers, they ought to be fine, IMHO. And if I was flying XC, I think I'd want to use an RES glider, or maybe REF, for the stability when driving past those !@#@$@ trees.

In my experience, low end radios from Airtronics and Futaba have been fine, though I didn't like Futaba's practice of selling single conversion rx's as ready for '91.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: paper blast tube test
Old Aug 09, 2008, 02:59 AM
Danmark, Hovedstaden, Ballerup
Joined May 2007
3,207 Posts
you might want to read this:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=905915
thomasscherrer is offline Find More Posts by thomasscherrer