Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 08, 2004, 08:50 PM
SIU Aviation
Wheeling, Illinois
Joined Dec 2003
5,240 Posts
my next project Dumas Aircraft Skymaster build thread...

Ok i thought i would use some of my micro gear from my tigermoth and use it in this plane. micro servos, micro reciever, micro esc the works! its called the Skymaster but it really resembles the cessna 336-337. the wingspan is 17.5 inches!!! its no mountain models kit either... i actualy have to cut each part out... the bulkheads and stuff are lazer cut but not the rest. I just started tonight so this might be a slow thread plus school which limits my building time. but i thought i would give back to the forums and make my own build thread. hopefully im not in over my head here. But i WILL MAKE THIS PLANE WORK! here are a few pictures of what the kit contains.
Contents:
-laser cuts sheet of parts
-pieces of balsa ranging from 1/8 inch spars to 1/16 inch spars.
- propellers and rubberbands (originally designed to be a rubber band powered) im converting to electric
- vacum formed cowling and misc. parts.
-wheels...

planned power system is going to be an IPS direct drive on 3X2 prop. hopefully i can build this light enough to fly off of that
Kyle G. is offline Find More Posts by Kyle G.
Last edited by Kyle G.; Sep 08, 2004 at 10:57 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2004, 08:57 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined May 2004
1,328 Posts
looks like a neat little plane!!! good luck
p51flyer is offline Find More Posts by p51flyer
Old Sep 08, 2004, 09:16 PM
easily confused
Nashville Metro, Tennessee, United States
Joined Sep 2003
2,183 Posts
Looks nice! What's your planned radio gear setup? Hard to tell from the pics but those look like the Draganflyer servos...nice, but if you take a look, Balsa Products has started offering 4.3 gram 'Blue Arrow' servos for just $14.50! According to the site:

'The net weight of this servo is 4.3g. It can also be rebuilt into a lighter one. With the servo-case bottom removed or using the JST plug, the weight can be reduced to 4.0g. Use the enameled wire to connect, the weight can be reduced by 0.8g. Totally, the weight can be reduced by 1.1g, and finally, you only get a servo weighing 3.2g.'

Wow...Micro Joule weight servos for fourteen bucks?!? I've got a whoooooole Pile O Kits in the same size as yours or a bit larger that these would do well in

Glenn
mu2freighter is offline Find More Posts by mu2freighter
Old Sep 08, 2004, 09:26 PM
SIU Aviation
Wheeling, Illinois
Joined Dec 2003
5,240 Posts
3.2 gram servos?!!? wow, mine are 9 gram servos... yea they are the dragonfly servos. i dont know what the target weight is but i hope its not too heavy. otherwise i might go with the lighter servos. This plane is going to take a LONG TIME to build! ill post a pic in a second of how far i got in 30 minutes. I got one small section of the fuse complete. then there are the wings, tail section, etc... this is going to be complicated but im up to the challenge probably going to cover it in solite because its light weight. but hopefully it doesnt warp the plane because its FRAGILE. unless once its all together the frame will make it stronger. My goal finish time is by the end of the weekend (thats REALLY optomistic, probably sometime next week if i can find time to work on it.
Old Sep 08, 2004, 09:48 PM
easily confused
Joined Sep 2003
2,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle G.
3.2 gram servos?!!? wow, mine are 9 gram servos... yea they are the dragonfly servos.
I suspected as much. Don't want to dampen your enthusiasm but if you put 18 grams worth of servos into an 18" span plane, I think it'll be an overloaded sled...even unmodified, 8.6 grams worth of those little ones will give you lots better start.

By setup I meant what controls are you planning to use as well...rudder/elevator? Ailerons/elevator? What kind of battery?

Build looks nice so far!

Glenn
Old Sep 08, 2004, 10:00 PM
SIU Aviation
Wheeling, Illinois
Joined Dec 2003
5,240 Posts
ooo, well maybe i will just try and see how much it weighs with those servos and make a disicion from there. its going to be an elevator aleron plane.

Quote:
Build looks nice so far!
its only like 10 pieces of balsa glued together! I hope it can get it light enough might have to get a different battery then. got a TP 860 2s ,dont know if those will cut it... i heard the Kokam 360 (not sure the MAH level but close to that) are selling quite cheap. dont know if they can handle the amps. less then 2 amps though. i guess i will see as i progress. I hope i dont have to keep it as a rubberband model...
Old Sep 09, 2004, 08:59 PM
SIU Aviation
Wheeling, Illinois
Joined Dec 2003
5,240 Posts
progress... Fuse just about complete

Ok made some more progress tonight. wouldve done more but ran out of CA Doh! looks like im going to the hobbyshop tomorrow. Might look at a kokam 350 MAH pack (not sure the Mah but i think its in the 300's) the high discharge ones. Ill be using a 3X2 prop on the IPS. shouldnt be more then 2 amps. want to get as small a battery as posible as the fuse is really small. The fuse construction went without incident. very smooth but i had to cut out all the little beams going across which ive never done before. no big deal still look decent. I know im probably going to need the 4 gram servos but i really want to trade something for them. I dont really have cash but i have a lot of extra 350/300 motors laying around... 1 with a gearbox. If anyone wants to trade PM me ive got other things too... Ok enough talk here are some pictures. total building time today ~ 2 hours
Old Sep 09, 2004, 10:18 PM
Size Matters!
San Francisco Bay Area
Joined Dec 2002
2,654 Posts
The Dumas kits are great! Good luck! I need to finish up my micro retract Corsair......
RocketRob is offline Find More Posts by RocketRob
Old Sep 09, 2004, 10:24 PM
SIU Aviation
Wheeling, Illinois
Joined Dec 2003
5,240 Posts
thanks rob this kit isnt as bad as my first impressions thought it would be. this is actually pretty fun and hopefully once i get some more CA i will have it done this weekend!
Old Sep 10, 2004, 01:18 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,297 Posts
Rob, What retracts are you using and in what Corsair are they going into?
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
Old Sep 10, 2004, 06:30 AM
SIU Aviation
Wheeling, Illinois
Joined Dec 2003
5,240 Posts
hey rob could you post some pictures of your corsair? I want to see what your powering it with. I dont know if i should keep my IPS direct drive as the power source or what....
Old Sep 10, 2004, 09:16 AM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
Whoa! Reality check!

Kyle,

The Cessna Skymaster (also referred to as the MixMaster and the Suck-and-Blow) is an interesting kit. However, I have built Dumas kits converted to R/C, but I used very micro gear and they were still a hand full. The wood is very light - fine for rubber powered FF, but pretty weak in many cases for R/C.

You will need lighter gear to make it fly - each 9 gram servo you mention weighs what your entire R/C system should weigh. May I suggest the JMP RX (w/ buit-in ESC, weighs ~2 1/2 grams), Falcon servos (weigh 1.7 grams each), or the Cirrus Micro Joule system (~10 grams total weight for RX, ESC, and 2 servos). SoLite will crush the structure; get some RA MicroLite (from homefly.com) - it is half the weight of Solite and will not shrink so hard. To get light enough gear, figure on about a $200 investment. Using a JMP or RFFS radio and actuators could save you a little money at the cost of some control force.

Remember that you are working with about 45 sq. inchs or 1/4 square foot of wing area, so every ounce means 4 oz/foot. Every single fraction of a gram you can save is important. When you built to Peanut or Pistachio scale you need to trim excess wires, eliminate plugs where you can, and use the least amount of the lightest stuff available...

This model is Dumas "Mr. Mulligan" - also 17 1/2" WS. At over 40 grams, it was flyable. It is also too fast to fly indoors and subject to damage on anything but a greased landing...
Mike Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Mike Taylor
Old Sep 10, 2004, 03:25 PM
SIU Aviation
Wheeling, Illinois
Joined Dec 2003
5,240 Posts
---sigh--- looks like this plane was just a waste of money then... (guess i should of researched this a little more, o well it was only 18 dollars and still looks pretty cool) because I dont have the money to go out and get all new gear... i was hoping to juse use the gear i have now, i had no idea what the final weight should be (no idea AT ALL) because i dont usually fly this kind of planes. i just thought it would be a fun build but i guess its going to be more work... I guess ill just build the plane and see where i go from there.......
Old Sep 10, 2004, 03:41 PM
easily confused
Joined Sep 2003
2,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle G.
---sigh--- looks like this plane was just a waste of money then... (guess i should of researched this a little more, o well it was only 18 dollars and still looks pretty cool) because I dont have the money to go out and get all new gear... i was hoping to juse use the gear i have now, i had no idea what the final weight should be (no idea AT ALL) because i dont usually fly this kind of planes. i just thought it would be a fun build but i guess its going to be more work... I guess ill just build the plane and see where i go from there.......
So, put it aside for now and finish it when you get the dough! I think you'd be OK with those inexpensive Blue Arrow servos I mentioned before, particularly if you do the suggested easy mods to them as Balsa Products details to knock off some weight...down to 3.5-ish grams each. An inexpensive (less than $20 if you shop) GWS Pico 4 channel receiver, and a $6 parkflyer sized 8" Litenna to save weight and eliminate the ugly floppy wire antenna will finish off the onboard gear. It'd be a couple-three grams heavier than the expensive package Mike outlined earlier, but I'd think this would be no problem if you're careful and build light.

I think a Kokam 2S 340 mAh battery would give good service in this plane, but even if you end up having to use a smaller lipo battery to make it happen, yeah, the endurance will be shorter, but you'll be the only one around flying a sub-2 foot Skymaster!

I'd say the cool factor's worth the sacrifice!

Glenn
Last edited by mu2freighter; Sep 10, 2004 at 03:46 PM.
Old Sep 10, 2004, 03:46 PM
SIU Aviation
Wheeling, Illinois
Joined Dec 2003
5,240 Posts
Ill finish up the plane itself, but would like to trade some things instead of buying them. The thing is, i have more stuff that i dont need around here but nothing to do with them. I dont think they would sell for much but i could trade them for something i would want like the servos or gws reciever. I have a hitec feather reciever, will that work with the litenna? the esc dones really weigh much at all. if i need to i can shorten some wires. I really like the looks of the plane though, thats why i bought it... and to TRY to make is flyable.