HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 06, 2002, 08:48 AM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,732 Posts
Suggestions for Old Timer?

It's finally dawned on me that I need to replace my 70% Buzzard Bombshell. I'd rather not build the same plane again, so I'm looking for some suggestions for a similar sized plane instead.

Here are the criterion: I'm shooting for a wing area around 425 squares and a weight of 25-30 ounces so I can use the same power system which is now lying around. Being somewhat lazy, I'd rather a kit or semi-kit rather than just plans. I found the following list of semi-kits at

http://www.harryklarich.virtualempire.com/

and I'd buy another kit from them.

I'd kick around Larry's Cutie, but I want something that is hands off stable, super easy to fly and can thermal. Shouldn't be hyper light either, the ability to handle some wind is useful. I'd rather build, so no ARFs for me. The airplane is not going to be entered in contests so it doesn't have to be a winner, just fly stably and with a decent glide. Here's the toughie- aesthetics counts and something a bit off the beaten path would be good.

So far I'm leaning to the following: Coronet, and the Buccaneer B Special. Other possibilities include a Sailplane or Clipper- it's real hard to argue with the wing on those airplanes. I've flown the big Powerhouse, and I'm not that fond of it- don't know if the 50" is an improvement, but I suspect not. I don't think I'm enough of a masochist to tackle the Answer- I did the Ben Buckle Super Skorpion- that was enough.

I do like the look of the Cumulus and I'll probably pick up the 49" version- the problem is that it's really too small for a Permax 450 T.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Sam
Megowcoupe is online now Find More Posts by Megowcoupe
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2002, 11:31 AM
San Antonio, Texas USA
Joined Feb 2001
1,108 Posts
Miss2, You'll love it, Hobby-Lobby has it.
cruzomatic is offline Find More Posts by cruzomatic
Old Feb 06, 2002, 11:45 AM
Anchorage, AK USA
Joined Dec 1998
176 Posts
Check out the kits at Spirit of Yesteryear... they might be a little larger than you're looking for, but it's worth a shot...

http://www.soy.on.ca/planes.html

Doug
DRFranklin is offline Find More Posts by DRFranklin
Old Feb 06, 2002, 11:58 AM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,732 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. I may wind up with a Bomber or Playboy yet, but I probably do need the somewhat smaller versions- I drive a Neon and I like to carry a couple of airplanes.

Thanks,

Sam
Megowcoupe is online now Find More Posts by Megowcoupe
Old Feb 06, 2002, 03:57 PM
Kent, Wa.
Joined Feb 2001
641 Posts
Have you looked at AeroDyne? They have a very good selection.

PVHC also has the Quaker in 2 sizes and a Dalliaire.

Remenber these planes were designed for FREEFLIGHT. Not RC. Most people don't like they way they handle with RC.

I just use the radio to keep them from flying away. I get the impression that that is how many people fly these planes.

I had a 50" Powerhouse. It had an OS .15 in it. I got a lot of good flying time out of it. I liked it and I have been thinking about building another.

Robbie
Rotten Robbie is offline Find More Posts by Rotten Robbie
Old Feb 06, 2002, 08:57 PM
NE Indiana
Joined Sep 2001
185 Posts
Old Timer Choice

I plan on building the following for S400 or 480 electric.
RC One fuselage (roomy & straightforward)
Playboy wing (proven & good lookin)

The Playboy cabin has less room and harder to build. GottaFly
MrThermal is offline Find More Posts by MrThermal
Old Feb 06, 2002, 09:20 PM
S. Calif
Joined Mar 2000
1,409 Posts
Megowcoupe
How about a Quaker Flash? I am really enjoying mine. Its 66" wingspan but I have no problem getting it in my car. It has a real old timer look to it with the landing gear way out in front of the prop. I coverted mine to electric and it is a great flyer powered by a Magnetic Mayhem, old Leisure gearbox and a !3x6-10 prop. I am now using the 8 cell 1700 mah pack that came with my Zagi 400x as well as the newer 1400 mah pack. Its not a floater - just cruises around nicely on 1/2 power with lots of extra power for shooting landings. That's my favorite thing with this airplane. The gear protects the prop and gearbox and is very stable on our rough grass field so I can land, bounce along the grass on Texler wheels and then bound into the air to do it all over again. Last time the field was kind wet and that was one dirty plane I took home, but no damage anywhere.
Gerry
Gerry Markgraf is offline Find More Posts by Gerry Markgraf
Old Feb 07, 2002, 08:35 AM
Don't cut the Yellow Wire
Ridgewood ,NJ
Joined Jan 2000
3,563 Posts
The easiest built for a high performance old timer is Joe Beshar's Fox. It looks like a Zipper. It's a world record holder in class A free flight and has been updated to SAM RC events. I have one built by him with an Elfin 2,5 diesel that goes up like a RAPED APE!!!!

Klarich sells the short kits.
dr.E is online now Find More Posts by dr.E
Old Feb 07, 2002, 12:09 PM
Sparta,WI,USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,564 Posts
I have an Aveox cabin Playboy from Kirk at New Creations. Very happy with it. The kit quality was excellent. This is a plane that requires a good lawn chair with a tray to hold your transmitter in case you want to use it. A real put-it-up and forget it flyer. Fun when you walk away from your xmtr and go get a cup of coffee..
Have a 550 geaared 3 to 1. More than enough power and great duration.

RonJ

Save the planet. Fly electric.
RonJ is online now Find More Posts by RonJ
Old Mar 10, 2014, 07:42 PM
United States, GA, Buford
Joined May 2009
5 Posts
68 in Aveox Playboy Cabin Power?w

I can see this is an OLD thread! I bought a beautiful old AVEOX Playboy Cabin a few months ago and need to know what is the BEST electric motor system to use? Money is no object ( it can't be that much anyway) I just want to fly it and relax and enjoy the old time simplicity of a true classic old timer. Anyone out there able to provide me with a good power and prop configuration? Thank you for your time and reply!!!

Kayakman
kayakman is offline Find More Posts by kayakman
Old Mar 10, 2014, 07:46 PM
United States, GA, Buford
Joined May 2009
5 Posts
Hey RonJ

Quiet an old thread indeed, but it caught my attention! Hope you're still on the site ? I've bought an old AVEOX Plauboy Cabin on this site a few on ths ago and want to start building soon, but have to ask about the electric power, what's the BEST to go with?

Thank you
Kayakman
kayakman is offline Find More Posts by kayakman
Old Mar 12, 2014, 12:47 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,072 Posts
You guys are in the wrong pew, go here for suggestions, etc., on old timers. I have always liked the looks of the flying Quaker series too.

http://www.rcgroups.com/vintage-and-...r-designs-209/
E-Challenged is online now Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Mar 12, 2014, 09:51 AM
United States, FL, Lehigh Acres
Joined Aug 2011
852 Posts
Quaker +1
xrx1113 is online now Find More Posts by xrx1113